Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

doggy step/stairs

dodo
March 3rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
I am looking to purchase a doggy step for my dog around 70 pounds in order for him to go on my couch. I am located in Toronto.

Does anyone has any information where i can get one?

Thanks
dodo

chico2
March 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
I think I saw doggie-steps at Pet-Smart the last time I was there,probably most large pet-supply stores will have them.

dodo
March 3rd, 2008, 05:28 PM
I think I saw doggie-steps at Pet-Smart the last time I was there,probably most large pet-supply stores will have them.

Hello Chico2,

Do you remember how much it was and how many steps it had?

Winston
March 3rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
Dodo Welcome...check out this site...they are the As seen on TV products....2 for 19.99 ..I have not personally bought them I just googles dog stairs!

Cindy

https://www.officialtvwebsite.com/doggysteps/index.asp?did=632&phone=

rainbow
March 3rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
Here is what Petsmart has...

http://www.petsmart.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2767081&cp=2767032

Tommysmom
March 3rd, 2008, 07:05 PM
I think I've tried every type of doggy step on the market... unless you own a 5 lb dog who only needs to go up less than 12" high, they all are pretty bad. Most of them don't even have steps wide/deep enough for a doggy to really use them to get down..

We built a ramp for our dog, and most of my friends have done that too. A bit of wood, a couple of brackets and a bit of carpet and voila - doggy access to everywhere you don't have enough fur yet!

If you do try steps, watch the weight restrictions on them. One set we bought said it was ok up to 65lbs, and our 10lb dog cracked a step:laughing: (thereby reinforcing his opinion that he's really a rottie in disguise:laughing:).

SnowDancer
March 3rd, 2008, 11:26 PM
I agree with TommysMom having tried the steps out myself while other interested parties looked on, basing their individual decisions it would seem based on how I made out. I would not have bought the steps I tried for my 10 lb. Dachshunds who had suffered from back surgery - nor would I buy them now should my 22 lb. Eskimo develop a back problem. I would most definitely go with a ramp. I have seen the As Seen on TV steps at Linen N Things on Laird in Toronto and a bigger set of steps at the PetSmart on Laird as well - but still, I prefer the ramp. We aren't handy at all, but they appear to be readily available these days. Actually, if you ask your vet he/she might well be able to order something appropriate for you. I would go this route first as often they have access to all sorts of helpful pieces of equipment for pets.

dodo
March 4th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Thanks to everyone who posted their feedbacks. We really appreciate them :thumbs up

I heard from a friend that there is a store downtown that sells pet steps. I will check it on this Thursday and see if it is good or not.

Hopefully, the stair is not too narrow and is strong enough to support my dog.

I am not too handy myself and i dont have any tools that will allow me to build one :(

If anyone has any good pet stair, please post your experience.

Thanks again

sugarcatmom
March 4th, 2008, 10:14 AM
There's a good selection of sturdy ramps and stairs on this website: http://www.handicappedpets.com/steps/
http://www.handicappedpets.com/wramps/
They aren't cheap though, and I'm sure the shipping is pricey as well.

Tommysmom
March 4th, 2008, 06:20 PM
If you don't find any steps to suit you, ramps are eaaaaaaaasy to build - I did it, for less than $10, without power tools or any know-how at all, LOL.

SnowDancer
March 5th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Tommysmom - since my husband can't even hang a curtain rod you will understand why buying a ramp would be our only option should the day come - and it might. Beds seem to be getting higher and while our 22 lb. Eskie will be turning only 4 on April 1, you never know when problems will start. As I posted previously, the stairs I have seen just wouldn't cut it - and also the chances of falling on the dog steps are much higher than the ramp - and the ramps, depending on the slope are not as much of a challenge to the dog. If we had adopted another Dachshund I would have used the ramp from day one to get him used to it. In the meantime I always keep an eye out for when the day comes - but would still probably try to source through my vet. When we thought our first Dachshund would need a wheelchair after his surgery - and one for the right side only if you can imagine that - they were doing all sorts of research. I expect Guelph might have some good ideas for ramps etc.

dodo
March 5th, 2008, 02:11 PM
My couch is around 15 inches high. My dog can easily go on the couch but since he was diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia, i want to add a stair to the couch so that he get used to it.

Regarding building one, I dont have any tools. I live in an appartment and i only have a few screwdrivers and thats pretty much about it :laughing:

Thanks for the advice.

Keep the ideas coming.

Cheers
dodo

Tommysmom
March 5th, 2008, 06:00 PM
:shrug: I only used a screwdriver to build my ramp, but then, it's pretty basic, LOL. I don't know how to build anything, so I improvised... shhhhhh, don't tell anybody, but the screwdriver was actually a butter knife, and I used the back end of it as a hammer:laughing:.

I just couldn't afford hundreds of dollars for the ramps they sell, they're soooooooooo expensive! There are some really great ones out there though if you don't mind spending the money - super stylish kinds, too, to match your home decor:thumbs up!

SnowDancer
March 5th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Sure wouldn't be hard to match my home decor - created by hounds and finished off by a White Eskimo. Not good! I think the last ramp I looked at cost about $70 but then I didn't test that one! I do have a screwdriver - and a dime works in a pinch.