Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat having seizures - Another one

meg4050
March 3rd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Peaches had another seizure this morning - fairly severe. Scared my roomate to death as he was sitting on her lap at the time. I've called the vet and since this is the second one since the meds should have kicked in, and there were no obvious triggers, he'll be going in tomorrow for a panel of bloodwork.

This will tell us how much of the Phenobarb is absorbing into his system. The vet thinks from there, it will either show that there's not enough getting to him and we'll increase the dosage - or it will show that there is enough getting to his system and we'll likely have to try a different anticonvulsant.

He seems ok now, a little grumpy after having a sponge bath to get rid of the smell!

I'll let you know what happens tomorrow!:fingerscr

Love4himies
March 3rd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Oh poor Peaches.

hazelrunpack
March 3rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
I'm sorry this is still an issue with Peaches. :grouphug:

Good luck at the vet tomorrow! :fingerscr

Frenchy
March 3rd, 2008, 08:33 PM
I'm so sorry meg4050 :sad: I hope the vet can find the right dosage and this will be the last seizure :fingerscr :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
March 4th, 2008, 02:25 AM
awww :sad: Peaches :grouphug:

:goodvibes: :fingerscr for tomorrow

rainbow
March 4th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Peaches. :sad: :grouphug:

Good luck tomorrow. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

krdahmer
March 4th, 2008, 11:48 AM
:sad:Oh no Peaches! You poor thing:grouphug:... I hope the vet can pinpoint what needs to be tweaked to make that the last one!:pray:

loopoo
March 4th, 2008, 12:46 PM
poor little guy hope the vet is able to get things figure out:grouphug:

meg4050
March 4th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Just got back from the vet with Peaches. He thinks the solution is just going to be increasing the dosage. Especially since the seizures Peaches has had have been less severe and not as long. He also thought that since the meds haven't sedated Peaches much thus far, a bit of an increase shouldn't affect his behaviour too much.

His only concern was the side effects that Phenobarb can have on the liver, so he's sent overnight testing for the liver level, as well as the level of Phenobarb in his system so he can adjust the dosage accordingly.

I think I hit the jackpot with this guy...he refused to charge me for the visit...only the testing! :thumbs up

Since I was in before 4pm, he said they'll have the results first thing in the morning and we'll go from there.

onster
March 4th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Good luck with the results :goodvibes::goodvibes:

That does sound like a great vet :thumbs up

phoozles
March 4th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Good luck! :fingerscr for no more seizures for Peaches! :goodvibes:

marko
March 4th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Yes definitely good luck Meg4050 :fingerscr

FYI - I edited this thread title to help others find this information in the future.

Note to all members - Descriptive thread titles will help visitors searching for similar information for years to come.

Sorry for the threadjack.

Thx
Marko

meg4050
March 4th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Yes definitely good luck Meg4050 :fingerscr

FYI - I edited this thread title to help others find this information in the future.

Note to all members - Descriptive thread titles will help visitors searching for similar information for years to come.

Sorry for the threadjack.

Thx
Marko

No problem, thanks Marko!

growler~GateKeeper
March 5th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Sounds like you've got yourself a wonderful vet :highfive:

:fingerscr :goodvibes: for good liver results & an easy transition in dosage :goodvibes:

Love4himies
March 5th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Oh I hope the dosage will be adequate now.

You have a great vet, meg, they should all be like yours.

meg4050
March 5th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Morning Everyone!

I just heard from the vet...I'm telling you this guy is one in a million!:laughing: He just spent 10 minutes chatting with me about school and graduating, etc. I also found out through the chat that he spends a lot of his free time in other countires (he mentioned China), tending to and donating his time the needs of animals there that may not be getting proper treatment because of conditions in the area!

Anyway, tests came back and Peaches' liver function is fine! yay! Which means its safe to increase the phenobarb dosage. His phenobarb level was 77 and it should be between 85 and 185, and since his seizures are severe, the vet would like to see Peaches near the higher end. We have to do it gradually though so we're upping him to 1/2 a pill in the morning (7.5mg) and a full pill at night. He'd rather have the larger dose at night so that the sedation happens at night and he can still have fun during his days like normal :D

In about a month, I'll take him back to test the levels again and see if that level increases.

krdahmer
March 5th, 2008, 02:09 PM
That's great.... sounds like you have a really good vet too! Hope the dosage increase does the trick! :pray:

growler~GateKeeper
March 5th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I'm so glad there's no problem with Peaches' liver :grouphug: :D :fingerscr this is the last time the dosing needs adjusting :goodvibes:

rainbow
March 6th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Glad to hear the good news about Peaches :highfive: and good luck with the dosage adjustment. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Awesome vet you have. :thumbs up :angel: If he's not married perhaps you could introduce him to Frenchy. :D

meg4050
March 6th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Awesome vet you have. :thumbs up :angel: If he's not married perhaps you could introduce him to Frenchy. :D

:laughing: He's married and about 70 years old!

rainbow
March 6th, 2008, 01:50 PM
:laughing: He's married and about 70 years old!

Guess that won't work then. :laughing:

:lightbulb: Does he have an available son? :D