Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Brand New - Vet's on the way

nvts
March 3rd, 2008, 01:30 PM
Hi! My mostly Golden Retreiver (Coco age 16 or so) has been aging gracefully up until Friday. All of a sudden she's too weak to get her back legs up the stairs, went to the side yard to "do her business" and collapsed, will eat soft food (eggs, etc), will not leave my side, etc.

She's at other times alert, but extremely tired. The vet is on his way, but my Dad told me he heard of a medication for dogs that you put a little in their water and the dog is "bounding around the yard".

The vet will be here and I'm expecting that he'll suggest that we put her down and I'm ok with it (she's been showing slight signs of pain, falling down, "scrambling" after she exerts herself, etc). But if there's something I can do before we come to that step, I'd sure be willing to try.

Thanks for anyone who can tell me what meds he may be talking about!

Beth

hazelrunpack
March 3rd, 2008, 01:40 PM
Welcome nvts. I'm sorry we're having to welcome you at such a difficult time. :grouphug:

Sorry I can't help with your question...I've never heard of anything to put in the water like what you've described. It does sound like Coco is seriously ill enough that medicine may not help. :sad: But maybe someone else on the board has heard of something.

16 is quite old for a golden! You must have taken very good care of her for her to have aged so well.

I wish you all the best with Coco, Beth. :pray: Please keep us posted on what the vet says.

nvts
March 4th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Thank you so much for the welcome. The vet came, administered fluids, steroids and an antibiotic. She's not in any pain but doesn't have the strength in her hind legs to get in and out of the house.

One big problem is that here in NYC, my 9 yr. old son is taking the 3 day math test. He has some disabilities that would have caused him to completely fail if the dog had passed. It was a lose/lose situation.

The vet felt that she isn't suffering so we were better off waiting until Thurs. while my son is at school to do what we will have to do.

I have to say: my heart is breaking. My dogs ALWAYS lasted for 15/16 years and this is really getting to be tough. I thought I'd gotten pretty tough in my "old age", but I guess "not so much!"

Thanks again~!
Beth

hazelrunpack
March 4th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I'm so sorry, nvts. :grouphug: It's a heartbreaking time for you, I know. It doesn't get any easier, no matter how many times you've been through it.

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers during this rough time.

:candle: Coco

Frenchy
March 4th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I know this won't make you feel any better but , believe me , 16 yr old for a golden is extremely good !

Also , if you do this when your son is away , I really think you should have a talk with him before you do this , he has to be able to say goodbye to his dog. :sad: and please don't wait to long to let her go .... I'm really sorry that you're going through this. :grouphug:

luckypenny
March 4th, 2008, 09:24 PM
So sorry for the difficult times you and your family are going through :sad: .

May I ask how old is your son? Does he have any idea? When it was time to say our goodbyes to our senior Peanut, we did so while my younger son was in school as well. He was 8 1/2 at the time. We should have waited while he was home with us though :o; it was harder for him to deal with without having a chance to say goodbye as we did. Just something for you to consider...

mona_b
March 4th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Wow,16.That's great.:thumbs up

Sounds to me that her hips are giving out.:sad:

My first GSD was 13 when I had to put him down.He had Rhumatoid Arthritis.And what I was told is that this was the worse type of arthritis for dogs.

My current GSD has had some arthritis for some time.When this started I put him on K9-MX..It's all natural.It's the doggy version of Lakota for humans.My dad uses the Lakota rub for his arthritis.Trons holding up at 11..Wait.OMG...I am such a BAD mommy.He's 12 today........:eek:..So much on my mind.

Here is what I use.

http://www.maisonradical.ca/Nouveau_Dossier/Lakota/k9-mx.htm

nvts
March 5th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. She's great dog that really put her heart into life with us. She's one of those dogs that sees television shows. She barks at the animals, chases them from one side of the screen to the other, and if horses are running across the screen she waits on the far side for them to run out. Very awesome dog!

Our 3 kids are 9, 7 and 6. The 9 year old is the one who'll have the most trouble. While I agree with you that it's always best for them to say goodbye, our oldest would obsess with the saying goodbye to the point that he'd become "stuck". Then the obsessive bit would start. It's a real tightrope that we walk in this house!

Thank you for the support. With the madness in this house, it's nice to have somewhere to run to!!! :D

Beth

nvts
March 5th, 2008, 10:56 PM
My Puppy of many years has passed. She died naturally, without medical intervention at 6:00 pm. I'm just very sad.

Thank you all for the support you showed a newbie.

Beth

luckypenny
March 5th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I'm very sorry for you and your family's loss of your treasured pup :sad: .

RIP Coco :candle:

meg4050
March 5th, 2008, 11:01 PM
:sad: I'm so sorry, RIP Puppy :rip::candle:

She had a long, happy life with you :lovestruck::grouphug:

krdahmer
March 5th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.:rip::candle::sad: It sounds like your pup had many years with lots of love, which is all any of us can hope for. You and your family are in my prayers.:grouphug:

mona_b
March 6th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Ohhh Beth,I'm so very sorry.:cry:

:rip: Coco...:candle::angel2:

rainbow
March 6th, 2008, 01:21 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Coco. :sad: How is your son handling it? :grouphug: My deepest condolences to all of you. :grouphug: :candle:

Love4himies
March 6th, 2008, 07:22 AM
So sorry to hear about Coco, :grouphug: to you and your family.

chico2
March 6th, 2008, 07:35 AM
So sorry about Coco,she sounds like an amazing pup,who lived an amazing long loving life:rip:Coco
I hope your son will understand the loss of his friend,as hard as it is for us grownups it must be even harder for a young boy:grouphug:to you and your family at this sad time.