Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dr. Elsey's Litter

ancientgirl
March 3rd, 2008, 11:01 AM
Has anyone here ever used these litters? It's supposed to be natural and produce very little to no dust.

want4rain
March 3rd, 2008, 01:48 PM
thought id bump this by saying..... NOPE!! never heard of it.

-ashley

ancientgirl
March 3rd, 2008, 01:59 PM
LOL, thanks. They have several different kinds. One for kittens, one for senior cats, one for multi-cat homes and one for cats that don't care to use the box.

I've read mixed reviews on lots of sites. It's touted to be hard clumping, but all natural, dust free and great with containing odors. I've read both good and bad, so I was wondering if anyone here had heard of it.

I actually have some at home I'd gotten the day Czarina escaped. It's the "Cat attract" one, that helps the cats want to use the litter box.

I'm currently using Swheat Scoop, but I'm always on the hunt for something good that's also natural and helps with odors. Also, this is priced well, with a 20 pound bag costing about $12.00.

rjesak
March 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
I've heard of it, but never used it. It does seem to get mixed reviews. I currently am using Swheat Scoop as well and I'm enchanted with it - of course, I was using Fresh Step before and I'm delighted not only with the "green"ness of Swheat Scoop but also the fact that scooping it doesn't send clouds of dust billowing into my face. :yuck:

Is there a reason you want to switch? Is Dr. whoseywhatsit cheaper?

ancientgirl
March 3rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
I've heard of it, but never used it. It does seem to get mixed reviews. I currently am using Swheat Scoop as well and I'm enchanted with it - of course, I was using Fresh Step before and I'm delighted not only with the "green"ness of Swheat Scoop but also the fact that scooping it doesn't send clouds of dust billowing into my face. :yuck:

Is there a reason you want to switch? Is Dr. whoseywhatsit cheaper?

I'm pretty happy with Swheat Scoop too, but I'm always on the lookout for other things.

Plus, the draw with the Dr. Elsey's is that particular litter is supposed to attract the cat that doesn't want to use the litter. I'd bought it for Czarina, since she was peeing outside the box and since I had the bag at home I was thinking about using it and trying it out.

But I also love the greeness of SS as well and like the fact I can flush what I scoop out. I don't think you can flush Dr. Elsey's.

rjesak
March 4th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I do have one cat who has trouble with the box. Zander will pee in it, but he pretty much refuses outright to poop in it. His favorite spot to poop though is right next to the box (then he brushes any spilled litter around it). I worked on this when he was a kitten, but I gave up. All in all, it's not so bad - he's going on hard surfaces and since there's enough litter around I can just sweep it up.

If he were peeing outside the box, I think I'd have to try the doctor - that's way harder to clean up!! :)

krdahmer
March 4th, 2008, 11:33 AM
If he were peeing outside the box, I think I'd have to try the doctor - that's way harder to clean up!! :)

Tell me about it... I've had to clean it twice this week already! And of course they pee over the side of the big boxes which are impossible to lift on your own to clean under!!! :yuck::rolleyes:

I have heard of and seen that Cat Attract litter, and I thought it was like a corn base like the WBCL? I was under the impression it was also flushable? I tried quite a few before finding the SS, and it's been best for us. The corn irritated Fagan's legs, and had a weird smell when peed in, and the clay just kills me (so I can imagine what it does to their little lungs:eek:), when I just had Windy and Smoke I used the bead style one from walmart and also the white chunky one that arm & hammer makes, those were ok for two cats as they had to be changed often but don't work for multiples, and I really don't like anything that doesn't clump.

Plus I found out that Toronto has or almost has it now so that your dog poop can be put in the green recycle....and was told that cat litter will also be allowed if it's flushable like the wheat or corn or pine. It looks like Niagara is a long way off for that yet, but it is coming. Right now I use the doggy poop bags and throw it in the regular garbage :o cause these toilets can't handle it... so that will be great for me.

ancientgirl
March 4th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I used Fresh Scoop for a while, but decided to go with something more natural because Vlad had taken to laying down and playing with the litter. Thank goodness he's outgrown that habit, but I found the SS was good with controlling odor too. I got a bag of WBCL yesterday to give it a test in the downstairs box, but now since you said it has an odd odor, I may take it back.

sugarcatmom
March 4th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I have heard of and seen that Cat Attract litter, and I thought it was like a corn base like the WBCL? I was under the impression it was also flushable?

Cat Attract Litter is clay-based and not flushable. There are a variety of other Dr. Elsely's products, some of which may be flushable, I'm not sure: http://www.preciouscat.com/our-products-c-1.html

You might want to try the Cat Attract Litter Additive (http://www.preciouscat.com/attract-litter-additivebronly-available-through-your-p-7.html) if like the litter you currently use. Supposedly has a money-back guarrantee.

ancientgirl
March 4th, 2008, 01:14 PM
It says 99% natural or something. I guess clay is a "natural" product. :laughing:

rjesak
March 4th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Hmmm, that's the kind of label that proves you really have to pay attention. I suppose clay is "natural" depending on your definition of the term... but the other 1% is what exactly? Swheat Scoop says it's "all natural", but, still, what's considered natural?

Ah well, I like the Swheat Scoop anyway. It's more granular than the Fresh Step (which was nothing but perfumed dust) so it doesn't seem to get everywhere the way the other did and, since there's no perfumed dust, I don't feel like I'm going to choke to death when I scoop and pour!

ancientgirl
March 4th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Yeah, when I first got Vlad, that's what I used. I noticed it was super dusty, and it was very heavy, especially when scooping.

I tried Feline Pine, which I actually like, but since I'm not the one using it and the Fantastic 4 hated it, I stopped buying it. I also liked that it was so light. But a friend of mine walked into my place one day and said it smelled like a pine forest. :frustrated: And she was right.

I think I'll stick with the SS for now. So far it works the best. I do know that if I can ever managed to get Czarina back into the apartment I'll give the Dr. Elsey's a try. I have to, since she peed all over the place when she was there. Hopefully Dr. E's will keep her from doing that.

happycats
March 4th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Yeah, when I first got Vlad, that's what I used. I noticed it was super dusty, and it was very heavy, especially when scooping.

I tried Feline Pine, which I actually like, but since I'm not the one using it and the Fantastic 4 hated it, I stopped buying it. I also liked that it was so light. But a friend of mine walked into my place one day and said it smelled like a pine forest. :frustrated: And she was right.

I think I'll stick with the SS for now. So far it works the best. I do know that if I can ever managed to get Czarina back into the apartment I'll give the Dr. Elsey's a try. I have to, since she peed all over the place when she was there. Hopefully Dr. E's will keep her from doing that.

I loved the pine too, but my son got bad allergies from it.
I'd rather my house smell like a pine forest then a kitty litter box:shrug:

I have one that pees right beside the box (I put a boot tray there, so it's easy to clean) I also have one that pees standing up:eek: so I have a tal rubbermaid tote, or it would hit the wall!

If anyone gets brave enough to try the new stuff please let me know, as I'm always looking for better litter!

ancientgirl
March 4th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I'd rather my house smell like a pine forest then a kitty litter box:shrug:

Me too, but I didn't think it smelled totally like pine. I thought it smelled like pine with pee:yuck:

I have one that pees right beside the box (I put a boot tray there, so it's easy to clean) I also have one that pees standing up:eek: so I have a tal rubbermaid tote, or it would hit the wall!

If anyone gets brave enough to try the new stuff please let me know, as I'm always looking for better litter!

Okay, I don't suppose you can get a picture of that? I can't imagine why a kitty would pee standing up:confused::laughing:

happycats
March 4th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Me too, but I didn't think it smelled totally like pine. I thought it smelled like pine with pee:yuck:

Okay, I don't suppose you can get a picture of that? I can't imagine why a kitty would pee standing up:confused::laughing:

Your right, it did smell like the pee pine forest!! like a hamster cage.

OMG Sega my poor sweet boy, has never been the brightest bulb in the box:sad: he actually goes in the box, and just stands there peeing, When I had a shorter box, it hit the wall!!:eek: We actually put a door (cut a hole) in the side of the tote do they wouldn't have to jump.

I'll try and get a pic.......but don't know when I can post as DH never downloads the pics:mad: and won't teach me how :frustrated:

onster
March 4th, 2008, 07:26 PM
wow, re:standing up peeing...do u mean on 2 paws standing?? :confused:

ancientgirl I bought a bag of Dr. E's today, will try it by the end of the week when I change their litter...I'll let u know :thumbs up

ancientgirl
March 4th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Your right, it did smell like the pee pine forest!! like a hamster cage.

OMG Sega my poor sweet boy, has never been the brightest bulb in the box:sad: he actually goes in the box, and just stands there peeing, When I had a shorter box, it hit the wall!!:eek: We actually put a door (cut a hole) in the side of the tote do they wouldn't have to jump.

I'll try and get a pic.......but don't know when I can post as DH never downloads the pics:mad: and won't teach me how :frustrated:

Oh gosh, I'm glad *knock on wood* none of mine have decided to do stuff like that.

ancientgirl
March 4th, 2008, 07:35 PM

ancientgirl I bought a bag of Dr. E's today, will try it by the end of the week when I change their litter...I'll let u know :thumbs up

Yes, let me know please. It's supposed to have "superior" odor control, but they all say that. I'm curious to see if it does.

happycats
March 4th, 2008, 07:41 PM

LOL now that would be a good trick!

I can see how you would picture that after my post....sorry:o

No he actullay stand straight up, on all fours...and pees, it comes straight our (not down) and hits the side of the tote, almost like a cat spraying, but he's not spraying

And yes please keep us posted on your litter........don't we have a products review on the forum?