Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help for our Dague - Whiskers

lakedweller
March 3rd, 2008, 09:48 AM
Hi Everyone - We have a six year old male dague that has started to have problems with his back legs. He is dragging them and appears to not have any strength for them. He is alert, eating well and drinking. No bleeding or any other concerns with pain we feel is happening. Half of his little body looks like it has no life in it (is unbalanced looking ). I wonder, does any one know what is happening? We wonder what we can do to help or is this just old age? Thank you for your help. Jacki

clm
March 3rd, 2008, 11:27 AM
You should take him to a vet to find out what's wrong with him.

Cindy

SnowDancer
March 3rd, 2008, 11:30 AM
I would get your dog to the vet today. Your profile does not indicate where you live in Canada. It is very likely that your dog will have to see a neuro. I can tell you from way too much personal experience that time is of the essence.

mona_b
March 3rd, 2008, 12:25 PM
I'm thinking that a dague is a type of rodent not a dog...;)

Call your vet to see if he knows anything about dagues.

lakedweller
March 3rd, 2008, 03:23 PM
Hi Everyone -

Our degu is not a dog, he is a brush tailed small rat or big Peruvian gerbil. I was hoping to hear from someone who has a degu and has had similar concerns. I would prefer hearing from anyone who has had this experience first. He is eating well, alert and in no pain. He is just dragging his lttle legs. We are thinking this is old age or a neuro-muscular concern. Thank you for any more replys from persons that have owed degu's or a vet student or vet.

want4rain
March 3rd, 2008, 03:26 PM
someone mentioned Degu a few months ago... i'll look around some more, itr might have been email or another forum.... just tickling.... wish i knew more. :(

-ashley

LavenderRott
March 3rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Rodent or dog, if it is dragging it's back legs a vet visit is in order.

BMDLuver
March 3rd, 2008, 04:53 PM
It would be a degu, otherwise known as a chilean desert rat. They are awesome little rodents and this one needs a vet asap. It is most likely nearing the end of it's life and shouldn't wait to see a vet.

want4rain
March 3rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
Degu are Octodon degus if anyone wants to look up more info on them. i agree, i think they are 'mammal' enough for your vet to have some sort of advice. :( sorry your little guy isnt feeling so well. does he have a companion??

-ashley