Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Unbelievable!!

Anna_C
March 3rd, 2008, 09:21 AM
I decided to try an off leash park for my 5 month old pup...It was great in the beginning, he was running around with a gorgeous husky, playing with all the other dogs of all sizes. This one dog in particular-not sure the breed but tall all white wire hair, decided to get a bit aggressive...This dog started to bite...I ran and watched the dog's owner slowly walk in that direction...I pulled my dog away from this dog...10 minutes later the same dog is attacking my dog again, pulling on his sweater not being able to grab on to his neck...at this point I was getting really agitated that this owner did not DO anything!!! This dog than attacked the husky and found my dog again, this time his fur was standing and his teeth were showing-he was in full rage attacking my pup, the owner couldn't get his dog to stop so I had to pull this dog off, my pup was on the ground crying, not knowing what to do...I was punching this dog in the mouth trying to make it stop...Finally I did and I told the owner if you can't control your dog you should leave...There was a man beside me with a lab and he had mentioned to this owner that his dog is getting really agressive...He refused to leave...I am really ticked off because I DO NOT THINK THAT PEOPLE SHOULD GET LARGE DOGS IF THEY CAN'T CONTROL THEM AND THEY SHOULD NOT TAKE THEIR DOGS TO PUBLIC PARKS IF THEY'RE AGGRESSIVE...
We went again the next day-I refused to make it a negative experience, we went back and everything was great again until this other black dog was randomly attacking a couple of other dogs(smaller insize) including mine and again the owner was unable to stop his dog. I am really not sure if I'll go back since I do not want my dog to get traumatized by these agressive untrained dogs...I just think it's really unfair that people that have well mannered dogs can't enjoy these types of places.

pitgrrl
March 3rd, 2008, 09:32 AM
Unfortunately, that's sort of the nature of dog parks. You can't control who comes in, and as insane as it seems, in my experience a lot of dog owners are rather oblivious to dog behavior. Add to that the chaos of throwing a bunch of dogs that don't necessarily know each other into an enclosed space, plus a couple of tennis balls and I'm surprised it ever works out well.

A better idea might be to look for a couple of playmates for your dog, friends with dogs maybe or people in your neighbourhood? I ven know a couple of people who have found appropriate playmates for their dogs on craigslist.

Otherwise maybe some sort of class might be a safer way to socialize and meet other people in the area that you could get together with later.

Anna_C
March 3rd, 2008, 09:41 AM
I tried on this site...but no replies...plus the off leash running for him seemed like a wonderful idea...I guess I'm gonna have to look into other ways for him to socialize...

danaekitty
March 3rd, 2008, 09:44 AM
WOW - This reminds me of another thread: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=49980
It's very sad that something that should have been so good for dogs is now dangerous for them.
I'm sorry for your dog's stress...hopefully you can find another park or another time of day to go where he's not threatened by aggressive dogs and their negligent owners.
Good for you for standing up!

Anna_C
March 3rd, 2008, 09:54 AM
I'm thinking maybe going very early in the morning on the weekend to see the amount of dogs that will be there...I was in shock I think and I'm gald that I somehow got this dog off my dog otherwise who knows what he would have done. I'm glad that me punching the dog didn't make it turn on me I just didn't know what else to do...

MBRA518
March 3rd, 2008, 10:06 AM
Yes some people don’t know dog behavior, but that goes for overly protective owners too… Not saying you are one Anna (I don’t know, wasn’t there), but I’ve had people tell me a similar thing when the dogs were just playing – albeit rough – but playing none the less.

I have a new 8 month pup who is much smaller than I’m used to (medium dog – Boston terrier X Whippet) and yesterday at the park the dogs were playing and running and bowling each other over… teeth flying, growling, gnawing on each other… just having fun. Every once in a while some get a little to serious – generally a loud “HEY” stops it. But a dog being a little aggressive at play is not necessarily a dog attacking. My 25lbs dog's best doggy buddy is a 90+lbs Bulldog and if you just heard the ‘play’ you would swear they were killing each other – growling, teeth flying – but they are just playing – totally covered in doggy goobers from mouthing each other, but no bites.

I had my pup to a friends place to play with their 4 month old pup and for a first little bit the younger pup was on the floor for most of it… she hadn’t really played with another dog since leaving the litter (other dogs around her were old and didn’t want to play) and it scared her a little at first but after about 5 minutes she was launching herself and my pup and the two were barreling around the house chasing after one another having a grand time.

How dog experienced are you? Are you sure these other dogs was overly aggressive and not just playing? Just because they are doing more than chasing after one another doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be at the dog park.

Pitgirl mentioned classes - that's a great idea, it would get you an your pup more confortable with that environment and you can learn how to handle a situation if it does get a little out of hand.

Anna_C
March 3rd, 2008, 10:16 AM
I grew up with 2 dachshunds and I do know the difference between playing and attacking. My pup was on the ground crying non stop not playing anymore and the other dog was past the point of playing. My dog was playing with a mastiff earlier (much larger dog) and yes he cried here and there when he stepped on him but this was different. A bystander witnessing this has told the man that his dog is aggressive as well as he took his lab to the other side of the park after this. I'm not overly protective as my pup had already been bitten on the nose and now has very visable scars...I'm okay with him playing rough with other dogs but this was different. Also it took me some time to get this dog off and the dog's owner could not do it...If a dog is actively persuing other dogs other owners seeing this are leaving the park I don't think it's because they're overly protective as in this case some poeple had left after both incidents.

MBRA518
March 3rd, 2008, 10:40 AM
I hope you didn't take that personally... it wasn't meant as such.

I would do the classes and keep going to the dog park and just keep an eye out for that dog then. I had my rottie (:rip: now gone) attacked very much like what you are describing at a dog park when she was young by a very aggressive Dalmation that had attacked quite a few other dogs… she was also attacked by a friend’s rott and for most of her life she was nervous round large black dogs and Dals even though she was very well socialized. Getting your pup back to the park is important, without a lot of socialization especially after something like this the dog will be fearful.

That same dal that attacked my young rott was on a very long leash a few years after and dove at my off leash rott again… that time she got him down and subdued him (without injuring him)…. It was sweet justice! Lol Actually I had seen her stop many a dog fight by putting the aggressive dog down (she’d knock them down and lay or sit on them until I told her to get off – very funny)

I’m just in Durham region and have been to the dog park in Oshawa and will be trying another one out that is run by a rescue… that may be of interest to you if you don’t mind the drive, they are only allowing known dogs in so issues like you described don’t happen. You can PM me if you want to meet up.

Anna_C
March 3rd, 2008, 10:53 AM
Oh no I didn't take that personal.. :) I grew up in Russian where there's no such thing as shelters and as a result there are many homeless dogs. I've seen some severely injured due to a fight and took care of a few when I was a kid. It's quite scary how much damage can be done in a very short time thats' why I think it's so importan to break up a dog fight as soon as possible (it's also very scary to witness a full on dog fight). I don't tolerate carelessness for dogs and it really bothers me to see owners who have little regard for others dogs. I have actually been bitten pretty bad when I was young and had to be isolated in a hospital while I recieved rabies shots all because of a careless owner. I really wish that dog owners would be more careful and understand their responsibilities.

Lukka'sma
March 3rd, 2008, 11:15 AM
I know how you feel Anna, some people just don't seem to get it when their dog becomes aggressive towards other dogs and expect the dogs to work it out themselves:mad:
When my girl was under a year old I used to take her to the off leash park and she enjoyed playing with the dogs but I also know fully well that this breed will become aggressive with unknown dogs as they mature and we no longer go to the off leash area, rather have friends of ours bring their dogs over to play in our yard. Lukka is great with dogs she has known since she was small but not with dogs she has never met before.
I think you really have to pick your times at the off leash park carefully, not all dog owners will respect the rules of the park (our parks post signs that no balls or toys are allowed inside the enclosure) all it takes is one tennis ball to appear and problems soon follow

Chris21711
March 3rd, 2008, 11:17 AM
Which dog park did you go to? I remember someone suggesting the one in Markham, from what they said, it sounded quite organized.
I know the one in Aurora has banned several dogs from theirs' due to agressive behaviour. One fella who went there with his three Huskies has been served by the police, that if he goes there again, he will be charged.
Complaints should be made to the Town involved to the By-laws officer.

Anna_C
March 3rd, 2008, 11:30 AM
The one I went to was in Markham. There were alot of dogs but everyone was pretty good including the owners except those two dogs (separate days). If I wasn't soo angry I would've gotten his name and complained but I was really upset and just wanted to leave. My friend has a lab and he's not neutered so he has had some issues with other males and she has never brough him to an off leash park, she told me she has seen a few times him reacting to other male dogs on the street and she said she wouldn't take the chance of him possibly hurting aother dog. I think if the dog has agressive tendencies it doesn't belong in the park.

On another note there was an absolutely gorgeous bullmastiff there who got along with my dog very well regardless of the size difference.

mona_b
March 3rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
I have to agree with pitgrrl...Things like this will happen at any dog park.

Some dogs play nice,some don't.This is the reason I never took any of mine there.

Do you have friends of family members with dogs/pups that can hang out for play dates?This is what I have always done.

Anna_C
March 3rd, 2008, 12:11 PM
my parents have 2 dachshunds but one of them bit my pup. Also they have no desire to play with him (very antisocial). One of my friends has a toy breed and I'm worried he's too small for my dog to play with. Besides that no one else really.

Masha
March 3rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
Anna, I was at the dog park this weekend too. I think I saw you there, as I remember a GSP in a gorgeous sweater being harassed by a yellow tall lab mix. The owner eventually put his dog on a leash… but he should not have brought him there to begin with… that dog was nothing but trouble and was harassing all the other dogs… not the dogs fault though.. the owner just stood there and did nothing and he is the one who should know better!!

You could take your pup to the closed off area… I have seen some dog owners do that … and only dogs that get along well with him/her would join….

BTW – you pup is adorable, so much energy :) I bet the other dog was just jealous of his sweater :laughing:

My pup isnt too big on playing with the other dogs, unless they are females:rolleyes:

We mostly spend the time playing 'ball'...

Anna_C
March 3rd, 2008, 01:14 PM
I think I saw you there too, if I'm not mistaken you have a German Sheppard, right? He looks young, how old is he? He is gorgeous and very calm...my pup is extremely high energy, if he could he would just run all day long...You mentioned a closed off area, is that the first gate when you come in?

I'm not sure if you saw the last time that dog harrassed my pup, i was pretty mean to the dog and I feel bad but the owner wouldn't do anything and I had to stop it.

Unfortunately the sweater is pretty ripped with lots of holes...I'll try to saw them up...see what happens.

Kristin7
March 3rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
I thought I read your dog was wearing a sweater... if you go back, I'd highly recommend not having anything like that on your dog. As I'm sure you've learned, things like that only get ruined in dog parks. And collars are generally bad too as dogs can end up being choked wearing them, if another dog grabs onto it. I don't really go anymore, but used to all the time - my dog loves playing but thinks it is really fun to hump other dogs. ah well. He doesn't have many options for play dates either, so he sometimes goes to daycare, however, I don't think that is the best place either, as I am not there to supervise. I bet they let him hump all day. :dog:

Masha
March 3rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
Yeah, that’s us :) I have a German Shepherd, he is 7.5 months old …. I agree with Kristin, it is generally not a good idea to have any clothes on your dog as I have seen it getting caught on other dogs’ paws or teeth… I would still keep the collar as it becomes very useful if you need to grab your dog and get him away from the situation ASAP….

The closed off area I was referring to is at the back of the park, where the agility equipment is… the gate there is usually open and dogs run in and out of there; you may have not noticed the gate as it is usually kept open, but its there and if you want you can close it ...

Anna_C
March 3rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
oh ok, I didn't notice the gate and no more clothes for Nero. I'm not sure about peek hours, I think I will try going early in the morning and hopefully there will only be a few dogs. I'll wait till he gets older and is able to protect himself a little better and then we'll try the normal hours...Thanks everyone!

GSDog
March 3rd, 2008, 05:29 PM
a few weeks ago i went to the regular dog park and its always the same dogs and it is really a good group of owners too...but that evening, my GS was playing and he got caught in another dog's scarf or handkerchief (what a humain puts on their heads too)anyhow, his tooth got caught and he couldnt let go cause the other dog kept pulling back and my dog was following him cause he had no choice cause his mouth was caught...so next thing you know the other dog got really aggressive and snapped at my dogs face...so i did like you anna, i grabbed my dog and had no choice cause i realized his teeth was stuck there and had to put my hands between the snapping jaws:eek: to pull him off my dog...then they both were free and out of no where my dog only 4 1/2months a few weeks ago, turned around and jumped in that dogs face and bit his legs too...ooooooooh was i mad...i grabbed my dog by his collar and with a firm NO to show him we dont do that...i dont want him to become aggressive either...hes a very friendly puppy but he is a very dominated GS. The other dog isnt aggressive either...just that moment he must of felt my dog just didnt want to let go which he couldnt either..but the dog didnt know what...anyhow, right now my GS wont get much teeth caught cause he's loosing them all...LOL... (teething) and man does he have bad breath...all this to say, owners shouldnt have any clothing on their dogs while they are running and playing with other dogs... :pawprint:

SARAH
March 3rd, 2008, 06:59 PM
I found a really simple solution to the problem: stopped going altogether! My dogs' health (mental and physical) is not worth some moron's agressive mutt!

Instead, they play in the back yard now that we have one, or on loooong leashes at the beach.

You simply cannot fix STUPID.

Rottielover
March 3rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
i agree Sarah...
i mentioned many times here why dog parks are a bad idea.
it just takes one bad dog to ruin your dog.
not worth the risk
I learned this the hard way when a dog latched on to harleys throat and would not let go

TeriM
March 3rd, 2008, 08:08 PM
I agree with the others and generally avoid dog parks. I don't mind going to off leash areas that are actually long walks as then the dogs can interact but we are always continuing to move forward.

I would recommend only a flat buckle collar that is snugly fit for wearing at a dog park. Martingale collars, choke chains and even clip-together nylon collars (that are adjustable) can easily be twisted and can choke your dog. I have had two instances in my own home when Riley was almost severally injured from collars plus my mom witnessed a dog choking to death in a local dog park just from a twisted collar :sad: while playing.

Anna_C
March 4th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Thank you for all your feedback, lots of opinions, I've got some thinking to do.

Chris21711
March 4th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Something else you could think about Anna, is to take him to the York Conservation areas, there is a nice one on Aurora Side Road and Hwy. 48.
There are dogs there, some off leash and some on leash, being a pup, I guess it would be preferable to be on leash but he would come across other dogs and horses. It is really nice there, just remember your bearings, my daughter goes there quite a bit and one time, it took her almost an hour to find her way home.

Anna_C
March 4th, 2008, 11:03 AM
that's a good idea.Thanks!