Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dogs acting crazy-any advice please

reds4582
March 1st, 2008, 04:08 PM
I have two dogs that out of the blue will start acting like something is after them or they are running from something. It is a mother and son dog. The mother is 11 years old, the son is 7 years old. All of a sudden they will start panting and shrivering at the same time. They will both run around the house, jump into the tub, anything to get away. I came home the other day and the son dog( had chewed, clawed, however he could do it,) a hole about 6 inches wide and 2 foot long in my back door of my home. These spells don't usually last long and they never seem to do them at the same time. I have other dogs and they don't do this. Any advise on what this could be will be a great help.

pitgrrl
March 1st, 2008, 06:35 PM
Do you notice any relationship to the weather?

I ask because one of my dogs used to start to pant, drool, shake and then hide in the bathtub when a storm was coming (and he could usually tell long before it was obvious).

reds4582
March 2nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks pitgrrl, but no I really don't think it has anything to do with the weather. It has happened when it is a very sunny pretty day. But it is a little strange both my dogs are pits. But I also have another one that doesn't do it. Thanks though for your suggestion.

Winston
March 2nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
Could someone have tried to get in your house? maybe they thought they could get out? or perhaps some loud noises?

Cindy

pitgrrl
March 2nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
It really sounds like they're getting very anxious about something, clearly not the weather, but like winston suggested, maybe something else is going on.

When my dog first started being scared of thunderstorms it actually took me over a month to figure it out. We'd had a storm, but Streets didn't seem particularly bothered at the time. What he did though, was seem to associate certain streets with the storm and would start to shake if we tried to walk on them, even when it was totally sunny out. Because I had no idea what was going on, I didn't really deal with it appropriately at first and it soon progressed to the point that he was terrified to leave the house. Once we identified the problem we were able to work on it and, a year and a half later, it's fairly manageable.

I'm posting all this to try and illustrate how the thing that triggers the reaction isn't always super clear and can transfer, for lack of a better word, onto other things so that the picture of what is going on becomes even more confusing.

So, in an effort to figure it out, can you think of when it first started happening? Was there anything unusual going on? Is there anything at all which is similar about every situation in which this occurs? Time of day? Place? Are there any noises (which maybe you're not really aware of because you're used to them)?

You really need to try not the think like a human, because we tend to block out or get used to so many things because they're irrelevant to us, but they might seem dramatic or stressful to a dog.

t.pettet
March 2nd, 2008, 07:06 PM
Just a thought: do the dogs have fleas? I had a dog many, many years ago (before topical flea solutions) who would suddenly run from room to room trying to escape the bites. She was diagnosed with flea-bite allergy, we took up all the carpets and de-fleaed the house and used flea powder on her until they were history.