Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puddles' quick was cut

Love4himies
March 1st, 2008, 10:47 AM
Puddles and Sweet Pea had an appointment at the vet today to have their claws clipped and the vet cut Puddles' quick:sad:. Poor Puddles, she gets so stressed getting her claws clipped, that she jerks her paw and she did it just as the vet was starting to clip. The vet felt so bad.

He is concerned about one of her pads, it seems to be very sensitive, but needs to have her sedated to take a closer look, if it doesn't get better I guess this summer when she gets her annual bloodwork done and if it is OK to sedate her, I'll have her sedated and have dental, xrays on her kidneys, and her paw shaved to take a closer look at. Poor girl, vet visits just aren't pleasant for her.

Sweet Pea gets her claws clipped as short as possible so she can't hurt Puddles:frustrated:. She is such a good girl at the vet, put out her paw for clipping:D.

Frenchy
March 1st, 2008, 11:32 AM
Poor Puddles :sad: give her extra treats today ok ? :cat:

ancientgirl
March 1st, 2008, 11:46 AM
Poor Puddles. The last time I was clipping Vlad I cut his quick too. I felt terrible!

I hope she wasn't too stressed over it.

Love4himies
March 1st, 2008, 12:55 PM
Puddles won't talk to me. :sad:, but if I don't get her claws clipped, they grow really long and stick into her pads.

rainbow
March 1st, 2008, 01:11 PM
Awwww....poor Puddles :sad: I hope she forgives you soon. :grouphug:

krdahmer
March 1st, 2008, 01:28 PM
Aw sorry Puddles.. that mean vet! I'm sure she'll be over it in no time. :o :grouphug:Which reminds me I better grab these guys while hubby is home to hold them still!

Frenchy
March 1st, 2008, 04:24 PM
Puddles won't talk to me. :sad:,

But Puddles ... the vet was the mean guy , not mom ! :laughing:

Love4himies
March 1st, 2008, 05:39 PM
Puddles got fresh filet of sole for dinner tonight, she is purring for me again :lovestruck:. All is forgiven I hope.

Love4himies
March 1st, 2008, 05:40 PM
But Puddles ... the vet was the mean guy , not mom ! :laughing:

That's what I tried to tell her, but she just turned her back to me.:sad:

rainbow
March 1st, 2008, 05:53 PM
Puddles got fresh filet of sole for dinner tonight, she is purring for me again :lovestruck:. All is forgiven I hope.

Mmmmm.....YUM :cloud9: Did she have to share with Jasper and Sweet Pea? :D

onster
March 1st, 2008, 07:39 PM
awwww poor puddles :sad: Onnie does the same thing, jerk his paw and so Ive cut his quick twice already.

BUT

ive come up with an ingenious way to trim claws..lol well it worked for my critters. My mom puts them on her lap, with a tub of catnip and whil theyre stuffing themselves (its a narrow opening so they dont really get that much), I grab their paws and clip away. Theyre so absorbed in the catnip they dont even notice.....a minute and were all done..no scratches/pathetic meows/howls...and they dont squirm so no quick cutting :thumbs up

ancientgirl
March 1st, 2008, 07:43 PM
I'm glad Puddles and you are on good terms again :D

When I went to the pet store the other day, I saw they had a clipper that is supposed to tell you when you are too close to the quick. It was $30. I'm thinking about buying it, but I wonder how well it works.

onster
March 1st, 2008, 07:54 PM
how does it tell u when ure too close?????

ancientgirl
March 1st, 2008, 08:08 PM
It has some kind of a sensor.

Quickfinder clippers (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750636&cp=&sr=1&origkw=nail+clipper&kw=nail+clipper&parentPage=search&keepsr=1)

I'm going to read some of the reviews and see what people have to say about it.

ETA: Nevermind. I just read the reviews and it doesn't seem to work very well.

Frenchy
March 1st, 2008, 08:46 PM
It has some kind of a sensor.

Quickfinder clippers (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750636&cp=&sr=1&origkw=nail+clipper&kw=nail+clipper&parentPage=search&keepsr=1)

I'm going to read some of the reviews and see what people have to say about it.

ETA: Nevermind. I just read the reviews and it doesn't seem to work very well.

That's too bad , it would make the job easier :sad:

growler~GateKeeper
March 2nd, 2008, 02:33 AM
:grouphug: for Puddles

I've always done mine @ home, generally you just need to take just the tips off about 2-4 mm. If they are done as soon as they get to needle sharp, usually every couple of weeks, the cats will get used to having them done. If you are calm, not nervous & quick to clip & recognize when the cat has had enough, you can always finish the rest of the nails a little later, you'll do fine.

BTW you can use regular people nail clippers for cats - just hold the clippers @ a 90 degree angle to the nail. I have used them before but do prefer this type (http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Pet-Products-Kitten-Clipper/dp/B00061MQ00/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1204446377&sr=1-3) for cats I also have one of these kinds (http://www.amazon.com/Resco-Nail-Trimmer-Jumbo/dp/B0002ZADZ0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1204446456&sr=1-5) I used for my :rip: dog but works for cats too.

Love4himies
March 2nd, 2008, 06:51 AM
Mmmmm.....YUM :cloud9: Did she have to share with Jasper and Sweet Pea? :D

Puddles got to eat first so she had as much as she wanted and Sweet Pea and Jasper got what was left over which wasn't much.

Love4himies
March 2nd, 2008, 06:58 AM
I don't mind taking them to the vet, I love my vet office and the vet is young and kinda cute. Poor guy has to listen to all my cat stories though.:p. They only charge $20 per cat and I think it is a good way just to keep in contact with them.

I do have cat clippers like you show, growler, but Puddles is really hard to do with her extra long fur between her pads and she is much better for the vet than she is with me. I will cut the tips off her claws between vet visits.

BAILEYSMUDGE
March 2nd, 2008, 02:00 PM
Poor Puddles... I hate when that happens... I won't let the vet cut Bailey or Smudges nails... they don't mind if I do it... and even if they don't... it doesn't matter... I'm in charge. :lovestruck: