Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Breast Tissue

tracie_37
February 29th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Is it normal for a female dog to develop breast tissue when she goes into heat for the first time? I've looked and looked and can't seem to get an answer to this question. Thank you to anyone who can let me know something.

Thank you,

Tracie

hazelrunpack
February 29th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Yes, the teats can swell during/after heat, whether or not the dog is pregnant. How long ago did her heat start and are you sure she's not pregnant?

tracie_37
February 29th, 2008, 10:36 PM
We thought she was in heat in november/december and protected her from the males for 4 weeks, then after a few weeks she came into a full blown heat with the engorged vulva and heavy bleeding and sex crazed males. We protected her again, kept her separated from the males, put pullups and long pants on her and everything so i'm pretty sure she she was never bred. She has developed some breast tissue. She has been out of heat for at least a week and a half now, and the guys pay her no more mind than they did before she went into heat.

It may or may not be worth mentioning that she bled for an entire 3 weeks the second time.

Thank you,

Tracie

hazelrunpack
February 29th, 2008, 10:44 PM
If you have intact males in the house, you should probably consider spaying her, and neutering the males--it'll make life a lot easier for you.

If she's not been bred, she may still go into a false pregnancy. It's hard to tell--the vet won't be able to palpate pups for at least 30 days--but pregnant or not, the hormones are still in flux for 60+ days and often a false pregnancy results.

tracie_37
February 29th, 2008, 10:49 PM
But, it isn't at all unusual for her to have developed some breast tissue, right?
Something like when girls become young ladies?

Thanks again,

Tracie

P.S. Your quotes are inspiring :)

hazelrunpack
February 29th, 2008, 10:52 PM
No, it's not unusual. And the swelling, provided she isn't pregnant, will subside a couple of months after her heat started.

Are all her teats swollen, or are we talking about a single mass?

The quotes come from some of those annoying, yet sometimes pity, chain emails that come to my inbox. Unfortunately, though, neither came with a name. :o

rainbow
February 29th, 2008, 10:55 PM
If you have intact males in the house, you should probably consider spaying her, and neutering the males--it'll make life a lot easier for you.

If she's not been bred, she may still go into a false pregnancy. It's hard to tell--the vet won't be able to palpate pups for at least 30 days--but pregnant or not, the hormones are still in flux for 60+ days and often a false pregnancy results.

I agree....is there a reason she isn't spayed? :confused:

tracie_37
February 29th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Yes, they are all slightly swollen, she dosn't have a single mass at all. I am hoping that it is similar to human cycles where a body prepares for a pregnancy, and when it doesn't happen things return to normal. Ya should have seen her tho wearing her pullups and long pants... she looked so funny!
Good thing she's a boxer and her tail could be tucked right in :)

Tracie

tracie_37
February 29th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Yes Rainbow, we were told she couldn't be spayed until after her first heat cycle.

Tracie

hazelrunpack
February 29th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Yes, if they're all swollen it sounds normal. If you have any doubts, though, definitely take her in to have her checked out.

So how many dogs do you have?

tracie_37
February 29th, 2008, 11:11 PM
We have 6 now, and understandably don't want any more! We just burried our friend of 15+ years last week, a german shephard mix named Dogger. That was very hard. Our youngest 2 children (15 and 17) don't even remember our family without Dogger :( He was a real treasure!

Tracie

hazelrunpack
February 29th, 2008, 11:15 PM
It's always hard to say goodbye... My brother was in the same situation when my folks' dog died. She was 18...he was, too.

tracie_37
February 29th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Yes, it was very hard, especially since we just lost our Lady, a mixed breed who was dumped off and pregnant almost 10 years ago. She was so sweet and well mannered that I didn't have the heart to call the animal warden on her. We let her have her pups and found good homes for all seven, then had her spayed. She was less our dog than we were her people, she chose us and we never regretted it :)

rainbow
February 29th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Yes Rainbow, we were told she couldn't be spayed until after her first heat cycle.

Tracie

Who told you that??? :confused:

tracie_37
February 29th, 2008, 11:38 PM
You know, I don't remember who did tell me that, or even when. I was surprised to find out that they indeed can be spayed before their first heat. I only found that out about 2 weeks ago. We have 2 other young females that are getting set up for surgery ASAP!! Don't want to go thru this again!

rainbow
February 29th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Ummm....are you aware of mammary cancer and pyometra?

hazelrunpack
February 29th, 2008, 11:47 PM
How close in age are your dogs? Sounds like lots of little ones...did you recently adopt a litter? How old are your males?

Sounds like chaos--all those intact dogs...3 fems, at least 2 males...

tracie_37
March 1st, 2008, 12:18 AM
Yes Rainbow, I am now since doing a lot of research. Thank you.

tracie_37
March 1st, 2008, 12:26 AM
It is chaos! We can't even all go to church at the same time. Someone has to stay home every minute of every day to watch them. Luckily our schedules are so varied that we are able to do that. We are working on making safe structures outside so they can be safe and comfortable out for at least long enough to attend church as a family.

hazelrunpack
March 1st, 2008, 12:29 AM
Not a good idea till the ladies are spayed--dogs can be bred through chain link...

rainbow
March 1st, 2008, 12:31 AM
Do all of your dogs live and stay outside?

tracie_37
March 1st, 2008, 07:55 AM
No, They all don't live and stay outside... They live inside, on the couch and under foot, that's why they can never be left alone. It was not an exaggeration when I said someone is here with them 24/7. 4 of these dogs belong to my oldest son and will be going with him when he moves. Love him, but the house is too small for 5 ppl and 6 dogs!