Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Rescue Beagle

Melon
February 29th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Hi Everyone, I like the atmosphere of this site. While volunteering at the local animal shelter, I was smitten by a beagle that I had watched sitting mournfully in a corner for a couple of days. Without doing research I adopted the beagle. Things are going well; I've learned that I must give her a good run each day. I manage 20-30 minutes in a wide-open area near my home. Today after returning from a shopping trip, after I had skinned eight chicken thighs, I thoughlessly left them where she could reach from a chair when I responded to a UPS delivery. She ate all eight, raw chicken skins. I have talked to my vet's assistant who assured me that she should be fine--will eliminate naturally or vomit. It's been about 8 hours and she has slept more and looks as if she has a stomach ache, but otherwise even wanted her dinner. I fed her a little with chicken broth.
What I wonder from any beagle or hound owner is: Why would she eat anything, anytime if I don't carefully monitor. I feed her on a schedule--about 8 and four about a cup or less of Science diet (and often include a broth of something). She is about 20-25 pounds and looks a little fat. She is full of energy; tries hard to be agreeable around the cat who was already here.
No reply is expected; just any advice about my beagle, Hootie will be appreciated. Shadow is the cat. Thanks.

Frenchy
February 29th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Why would she eat anything, anytime if I don't carefully monitor.

Because she's a dog :laughing: My Sam would eat all day if he could .... some dogs are more food motivated that others. :shrug:

After a couples of posts , you will be able to put some pictures of her. I hope you have a dg cam , we love pictures here. :D And I love Beagles :lovestruck: oh and , welcome to pets.ca and thanks for volunteering !

hazelrunpack
February 29th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Ya, we've got some real snarfers, too! :o Just part of being a dog, I guess. :D

Welcome to the board! And yes, when you can, you have to post some pics! Hootie sounds like a real character! :dog: And we'll need some of Shadow...that will round things out nicely. Yeah...hazel gets a little demanding sometimes... :o

Kinguni
March 1st, 2008, 05:07 AM
From experience (I grew up with a beagle) they are bottomless pits and will eat until their bellies hang on the ground if allowed to and eat almost anything. I don't think here's anything at all wrong with her eating the chicken skins. I do think there's something wrong with feeding her Science Diet though. Red through some posts in the Dog and cat food forum and make an informed decision about what you fee your beagle.

chico2
March 1st, 2008, 07:32 AM
At first I thought she had eaten 8 chicken-thighs:wall:but after what I've read on our Forum,skins should be ok,maybe a bit of tummy-upset,because of the volume.
Definetly look in to changing her from Science Diet,most pet-foods available at grocery-stores,Wal-Mart and such,even the vet,are not up to par.

SnowDancer
March 1st, 2008, 10:35 AM
We had a Beagle many years ago as did my aunt. They are true gourmands - no food is safe if it can be reached (it is always nice if the cat is helpful to open the higher cupboards that are closed and pitch food down) - but no problem jumping on to a chair and up to the table to fetch the roast beef. We thought that the Beagles were the worst little piggies (and the most inventive) until we adopted 10 lb. mini Dachshunds. They put the Beagles to shame. So don't turn your back and watch your garbage. We now have an Eskimo who is a little piglet as well. You will have to watch your Beagle's weight as too much could cause back problems.