Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is there any negatives to waiting on neutering ?

Kashi
February 29th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Aside from spraying / marking, I mean.

I'm a stay-at-home mom, hubby is our only income.
And he came home today with the news that he is currently laid off indefinitely.

So - the money we've got set aside to neuter Pugsley needs to be kept available for bills - mortgage, insurance, groceries, etc.

Is there any real harm in waiting a few extra weeks / months ?

Pugsley is *never* outside unattended, and he is our only dog.
And he doesn't get off leash time outdoors either, as I do not trust his recall yet.

Love4himies
March 1st, 2008, 11:51 AM
Oh I am so sorry for you.

Bills have to be paid first in my eyes and unnecessary items have to wait. Not going to do anybody any good if you loose your home.

In cats from a physical standpoint my vet told me it is better to wait as their urethra (sp??) may get a little larger and this helps crystals to flow easier, however there is always the marking issue

LavenderRott
March 1st, 2008, 12:26 PM
I'm sorry about your husband. That really, really sucks.

No, Kashi will be fine if you have to wait a while to get him neutered.

want4rain
March 1st, 2008, 12:30 PM
i am soooo sorry to hear about your husband. mine went without a job (but had, thankfully, a severance package) for my entire pregnancy with Jeffrey. talk about scary!!

as far as i know, there are no overt health issues with waiting. they can be more dominating, the dominating can stick the longer you go before getting him fixed. i would think if he were still under 2 years old, this shouldnt be a problem. maybe 18 months??

good luck with job hunting!

-ashley

rainbow
March 1st, 2008, 02:35 PM
Sorry to hear about your hubby. :grouphug: I know how you feel...mine has been off work since Dec./06 and with no income since June/07. :o

I agree with everyone....Pugsley can wait but I would get him done just as soon as you can afford it. Good luck with the job hunting. :fingerscr :goodvibes: