Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Atopica for cats?

louise529horse
February 29th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Hi
My 13 year old cat has been on daily oral prednisone for several months, and my vet prescribed cyclosporine capsules as an alternative so that my cat would not be at risk for developing diabetes. However all the information that I see online about Atopica (cyclosporine) refers to its use in dogs. Does anyone have experience or opinion about using this with cats? Thanks
louise529horse

sugarcatmom
February 29th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Do you have any idea as to what might be causing your cat's allergies? Could they be airborne or food related? What does he/she eat?

Whether it's prednisone or cyclosporine, they only treating the symptoms and do nothing to resolve the issue. My inclination would be to try and eliminate (as much as is possible - and I realize that's often easier said than done) the source of the allergies. Food can play a big part in creating an inflammatory response so the first thing I'd look at is diet. Even if the actual allergy isn't from a food ingredient, eating healthy (ie species appropriate) high quality food can go a long way towards keeping the immune system balanced. So while steroids and other immuno-suppressive drugs can be very helpful, the ultimate goal should be to minimize their use.

babykitten
March 1st, 2008, 04:49 PM
try to put him on hypo diet ...maybe zd diet. do ya know what the cause of the allergies?

sugarcatmom
March 1st, 2008, 07:38 PM
try to put him on hypo diet ...maybe zd diet. do ya know what the cause of the allergies?

I wouldn't feed Hill's Z/D to a magpie, let alone a cat. Here are the ingredients of the dry, you can judge for yourself:

Ingredients
Rice Protein Concentrate, Brewers Rice, Hydrolyzed Chicken Liver, Soybean Oil (preserved with BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid), Powdered Cellulose, Hydrolyzed Chicken, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Glyceryl Monostearate, Choline Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate,..... Ethoxyquin (a preservative), .....