Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is it safe to have the carpets chemically cleaned?

joeysmama
February 29th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I've only had my carpet professionally cleaned twice. I have hardwood with throw rugs everywhere but the family room so I'm only talking about one room but it's the room where Cooper spends the most amount of time.

The first time I had it cleaned I had it chemically cleaned and they did a GREAT job. I loved it. The second time was a shampoo. Less money but not so great and it stayed wet. And then after that we rented the machine at Home Depot a couple times.

I'm not saying that the carpet cleaning is what caused Joey to get cancer and die. :sad: But I'm worried about how safe that might have been for him to have been lying on and breathing.

Now that Cooper is over two years old I think that it's time to have it done again but I'm really worried. HIs little shih tzu snout has enough trouble moving air in and out (seriously how do they breathe with those smushy little faces:laughing:)

I just finished painting in there and before I put all the furniture back I want to clean my dirty carpet.

What's the best way? I mean the healthiest way that won't leave my floors wet for a week and won't hurt my baby !

want4rain
February 29th, 2008, 11:29 AM
we run the rug doctor over our carpets every 2 to 3 months. we use resolve because its the least harmful than the rest of them. i believe if you go to your local Walmart or the same there, one of the vacuum guys put out some very Eco friendly carpet cleaners. use some of that.

if you can get your hands on the rug doctor.... best thing ever. i go over mine several times with the sprayer and then twice without water to suck up the rest of the water. its ALWAYS been dry by morning.

personally, i would NEVER chemically treat my carpeting unless parvo came through the house or something just as nasty. living with those kinds of chemicals in my home is totally unacceptable. the car or soemthing... you can limit your exposure to but you live, sleep, spend 2/3rds of your life in your home. we also dont use cleaning solvents, we use vinegar, baking soda, ammonia, borax etc, instead. the chemical content in most house hold cleaning products really turned me off to them.

-ashley

ps, i dont mean to sound judgmental up there!!! i, as a stay at home mom, have had a bunch of time on my hands to look up things like the chemical content and its effects on people and animals. :o lots of carcinogenic stuff. :yuck:

BAILEYSMUDGE
February 29th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I have had my carpets cleaned on various occasions with no harmful effects on the boys... I previously had two cats Samson :rip: & Delilah :rip: and they lived nineteen years and never minded the stuff used to clean carpets... I agree...they do a better job than any of those rentals...

Stacer
February 29th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I too am a strong advocate of chemical free living and have spent a great deal of time and effort to detox my home. I personally wouldn't use a chemical carpet cleaner, I'd rent a machine and use my own concoction to clean the carpet. IMO, I don't care how clean my carpet appears as long as I know it's clean and chemical free. :D

Chemicals build up in our systems over time, every time you say "this one time won't hurt" it adds up. Not to freak you out or anything:laughing:

W4R :highfive: on natural cleaning! Do you hae any tried and true green cleaning recipes? I'm always looking to find something that works better.

joeysmama
March 1st, 2008, 10:53 AM
No no no. I don't think anyone is being judgemental and you're not freaking me out. I asked because I want to know. I had the phone in my hand to call the rug shampoo guy and then remembered reading that the water never really comes out and that there can be bacteria deep down from the moisture that doesn't come out.

We try to live as chemically free as we can. I'm a cancer survivor so I'm pretty careful about pesticides etc. We eat organic and avoid processed foods, additives and all that.

Maybe I should spot clean? By a more powerful vacuum.

I think for now I'm going to see if the guy with the professional machine will be willing to use the natural cleaner if I supply it, rather than the one he normally uses. Someone gave me the name of a natural cleaner that works in machines so I'm going to do an on line search for that.

Thanks for all your input.:thumbs up

want4rain
March 1st, 2008, 11:06 AM
you know Stacer, i havent run into anything that really needed clever cleaning. for laundry i use borax along with tide (for now, SAMS Club membership and i havent looked into anythign better yet. :loser: = ME) for whites, then line dry them gets MOST of the stains out. all but the Jeffrey ones anyway. :yuck:

vinegar for disinfecting things... maybe we should start a "Natural Cleaning" thread?? :D

joeysmama- congrats on over coming the struggle of cancer!!! i know we have a few places in a few towns over who carpet clean green which is quite handy. id give ya their number but i think you are a bit far away for them. ;) i was uniquely impressed with the rug doctor. it did a fantastic job cleaning and still dried it up pretty well. most of the hype you hear abotu wet carpeting comes from folks who have probably never cleaned their carpeting. there is some funky bug a nurse friend of mine was warning me about when we first got ours done. hope thats enough info to go on. :o

-ashley

wdawson
March 2nd, 2008, 08:47 AM
most professional cleaning companies use non allergenic , non toxic enviromentally safe products , call and ask.

the company i manage will even supply material data sheets.

Tommysmom
March 2nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
We just had ours done (only don't use that company, they managed to CREATE a stain that won't come out:wall:) and they used completely environmentally safe products, safe for children and pets. Most of the places we called did the same, it seems to be very common in this area.

bluebear
March 2nd, 2008, 09:21 AM
I have 2 dog's and one can handle cleaners and the other cannot. I cannot use anything on my rugs so I got hardwood floors and use throw rugs that I can put in the washing machine. These cleaning products ate the skin on the ear of my youngest and make his body break out in sores. I have to use sensitive detergent or enviromentally friendly detergent. So I think it all depends on the dog as far as problems go and it is alway's better to use enviromentally friendly products anyway even if you have no animals.