Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rest time

pitgrrl
February 29th, 2008, 10:24 AM
In his over enthusiasm to get his breakfast Streets slammed into the kitchen counter pretty hard (judging from the sound) this morning.

He initially had a bit of a limp or favoring of one leg. I gave him some arnica and within about 20 minutes he was walking much more normally. I don't want to let him over do it though as we've been down the road of never quite heals muscle injury before and it wasn't fun.

So, how long should I reasonably limit his activity? A few days, a week, a few weeks?
I don't really trust going by what he's willing to do 'cause he won't stop unless he's in sever pain.

Frenchy
February 29th, 2008, 01:01 PM
In his over enthusiasm to get his breakfast Streets slammed into the kitchen counter pretty hard (judging from the sound) this morning.

DOH ! I'm sorry that I laughed at your post , I just pictured him ... poor Streets :sad: I guess small walks would be ok but no running for 2-3 days ?

pitgrrl
February 29th, 2008, 01:10 PM
No, it is kind of funny. Every single morning both dogs sit and wait in the kitchen while I prepare their food, then as they leave the kitchen to go to their crates to eat Streets always does a little jump in the air. Well, today he misjudged and I saw him start to jump out of the corner of my eye and then heard a huge thud as he hit the counter. :rolleyes:

I still don't know what exactly he hit, but it's obviously the front end. He's okay once he's been walk for a few minutes, but he's the kind of dog who'll just ignore pain until it's really, really bad. :frustrated:

Frenchy
February 29th, 2008, 09:10 PM
but he's the kind of dog who'll just ignore pain until it's really, really bad. :frustrated:

Tell him he has to rest a bit. :dog:

growler~GateKeeper
March 1st, 2008, 02:29 AM
I would start with 2-3 days see how he is on the 3rd day if he does okay by the end of that day - no limping / soreness he should be okay. Unless your countertops are granite or similar in hardness, then I would go about a week of rest.

Feel around with a little bit of pressure on his front legs, chest area see if you get any reactions

:goodvibes: :grouphug: for Streets

and of course a :grouphug: for Basil too

rainbow
March 1st, 2008, 02:33 AM
I agree...if he's not better by Monday then get your vet to check him over. Give him a hug from me. :grouphug:

chico2
March 1st, 2008, 08:05 AM
Silly Street,hope he feels better soon..

pitgrrl
March 1st, 2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks for all the well wishes, Streets appreciates it.

He actually was doing much better last night, if you weren't looking for a limp, you wouldn't notice anything.

I am going to keep his walks short over the weekend regardless, but the little man is back to leaping and truckin' along and normal Streets speed :rolleyes:

rainbow
March 1st, 2008, 02:56 PM
Glad to hear that Streets is doing better. :thumbs up He probably just wanted to give his mommy a little scare. :D

growler~GateKeeper
March 2nd, 2008, 02:14 AM
Ah the old saying Can't keep a good dog (man) down :D