Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Border collie's pads bleeding

sbazinet
February 28th, 2008, 11:54 AM
My one year old border collie get bleeding pads on his feet everytime we play fetch, this has happened several times over the past year and it doesnt seem to matter what type of surface he is running on. it seems to be getting worse everytime we play and I am wondering if it is just because his pads are sensitive or if there could be something wrong. any advice appreciated!

thanks

caesar2001ca
February 28th, 2008, 12:37 PM
we had this problem when i took darby for a bike ride...so we just crazy glued it shut and let it heal. it's the same i do to my deep cuts, it works great...but you have to let it heal is the kicker...no running until they are fully healed, after that, you should have no problems.

That's just what we did, hope it works.

TKW
February 28th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't use that stuff on any wound. I have no idea what kind of chemical is in it but I am sure it's not good in the blood stream. I know vets sometimes use some glue to close incisions and I don't think its crazy glue. :2cents:

Mud's Mom
February 28th, 2008, 07:38 PM
None of my dogs have had continuing issues like yours but I have delt with several cuts. Pads can be difficult to heal completely with out re-injury. We keep the dogs foot wrapped and booted untill healed.

I know people who have had good luck with some of the ointments that are sold for this issue Tuf-foot and Pad heal are two I can think of but I havent tried them myself. I do run my dogs in boots if I know the conditions are rough going (crusty snow, sharp stones...) and I know a few people who use boots all the time.

We get our boots out of a sporting dog catalog or Cabela's because they seem much tougher than what is sold locally.

Good luck

sbazinet
February 29th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I didnt want to put any kind of glue on my dog's paws so I went to the pet store and they sold me some protective balm to pu ton but the wounds have to be healed first so i bought some stuff to wrap up the areas... he doesnt mind having the wrap on him and hopefully it will heal quickly. Maybe I will try boots I had never thought of that. However it is not the pads on his feet but the ones on his front paws that are up higher. Im not sure of the name of those pads. so i dont know if boots will cover that high. I will look around.

Mud's Mom
March 2nd, 2008, 01:02 PM
We had a problem with Mud my GWP when he was young. We had him out running in tall stiff grass along a marsh and right at the base of those pads got all sliced up where the grass was getting caught and sliding thru. He also abraided the area runnig thru some brush a few times. We bandaged him up in a way that he could keep active. We never ran him when if he was lame or cuts were still going to bleed. I used to work with race horses so I had a good idea of how to go about it. The most important thing is that the wrap stays snug and smooth but does not cut off circulation. If it twists or bunches you can damage tendons in the leg. The best thing I know of is called vetwrap. There are other brands now but that is the one I used 20 years ago on horses. Cover any current wond with gauze or cover that entire pad with bandaid like the kind made for the knee. Then area with rolled cotton gauze. Then vet wrap tike you would an ace bandage. We even went over the wrap with duck tape when he was going to be in rough cover. He was a hunting dog and loved the toughest cover even if there was an easy path. There are some boots that go quite hight but I have never tried them.

Let us know what works out for you.