Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Belle is home!!!! (Warning--LP surgery pics)

Smiley14
February 27th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Belle had her surgery yesterday and is home now!!!!! I am so relieved and so is she! And I am so impressed by this little girl! She shocked the surgeon today when she went to check on her and found her WALKING in her kennel the day after surgery!!! She hasn't cried once and she's ready and rearing to play! LOL! Apparently not even major surgery can keep this puppy down. They kept commenting on how unusual this was and how she was a "tough cookie." They said she is very strong and healthy and the nutritionist thinks it really helped that I did a two week saturation of vitamins prior to her surgery. Surgery, stress, and shock drain the body of much needed nutrients, so the goal was to overload her system with them in preparation of this. Whatever the reason, she is doing SO good! I am so proud of her! She didn't need the pain patch, but they did give us two different kinds of pain medication for her to take twice a day for two weeks. She was shaking quite a bit in the car, but when we got home, she eagerly sniffed and limped around the backyard, then I put her in her kennel for a few hours to calm down. Now she's sleeping next to me without the dreaded cone. Petey is curled up next to her as well. It's so wonderful and peaceful. I love this moment. So while it will be tough times ahead going through the recovery process, she is already amazing the surgeon and me both. I think the hardest part will be keeping her still for the next two months! :)

She has to walk 1/2 block three times a day for the first month and then 1 block 2-3 times a day after that as her physical therapy. So I can handle that! :) And she's not allowed off leash for a full two months. That will be a little harder. :rolleyes:

In any event, enough jabbering. Here are a few pics. They're not that graphic, but I wanted to put a little warning on the subject line just in case. I love how they shaved the legs, but kept her the fur on her feet. It looks like she's wearing booties. :laughing:

Smiley14
February 27th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Here's the little bugger WALKING already and really hating her cone.

Smiley14
February 27th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Don't let the sad face fool you. It's all about the cone. I took it off a moment ago since I have her here next to me on the bed where I can watch her, and she's happy as a clam now. :)

Smiley14
February 27th, 2008, 09:33 PM
A few more of the stitches on each of her knees. The surgeon did a wonderful job. We go back in two weeks for suture removal. I'm so relieved we're past the worst of it now! Now I just have to keep her still for the next two months!

Frenchy
February 27th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Oh my poor little Belle ! She looks so :sad: and :sleepy: I'm glad it went well. :thumbs up Petey must have trained her to be so strong !

Good luck for the next months , that's the part I hate the most , having them to stay calm after surgery .... and you have to do this for 2 months :grouphug:

jiorji
February 27th, 2008, 09:52 PM
aww poor baby

hugs for her :grouphug::cloud9:

hazelrunpack
February 27th, 2008, 09:55 PM
So Dr Kramek did them both at once? :thumbs up Good deal...only the one recovery time, then!

She's looking very good...well, other than the bald legs, of course. :o Walking already, too! :eek: She needs a cape--with a big SB on it for SuperBelle! :D

Keep the cone handy--in 4-7 days post-surgery, she'll start itching, and you may need to keep her in the Dreaded Elizabethan Collar. But our dogs can give her a few hints on how to make the most of it--so if it happens, just let me know and I'll pass Belle some of the Pack's secrets. :D

Yep, I fear you're right--keeping the little darling quiet for two months is going to be hard. Have you talked to Petey about the importance of keeping his little buddy quiet, yet? :dog:

Smiley14
February 27th, 2008, 10:26 PM
So Dr Kramek did them both at once? :thumbs up Good deal...only the one recovery time, then!

She's looking very good...well, other than the bald legs, of course. :o Walking already, too! :eek: She needs a cape--with a big SB on it for SuperBelle! :D

Keep the cone handy--in 4-7 days post-surgery, she'll start itching, and you may need to keep her in the Dreaded Elizabethan Collar. But our dogs can give her a few hints on how to make the most of it--so if it happens, just let me know and I'll pass Belle some of the Pack's secrets. :D

Yep, I fear you're right--keeping the little darling quiet for two months is going to be hard. Have you talked to Petey about the importance of keeping his little buddy quiet, yet? :dog:

Thanks guys!!!! :grouphug:

And Hazel, LOL, SB on a cape sounds about right! :laughing: She really is doing amazingly well. I'm so relieved. Dr. Kramek was just wonderful. I was so impressed by her! When I met with her on Monday, she definitely thought it was best to do both knees at once and now I'm so glad we did! Totally worth it to only have to go through this once. She warned me the first week would be harder, but then the overall recovery time would be exactly the same whether we do just one or both. Plus, it was actually a lot cheaper! For one, it would have been around $1800 and would have been that same amount if we had to do a second surgery later. Since we did them both at once, it was only an extra $250 for the second leg! So overall, it worked out well. And Belle even managed to still find a way to walk, the little bugger! LOL!

Thanks for the heads up on the itching too! She HATES that collar! :) I have to take her back in two weeks to have the sutures removed. I'm hoping I can stop using the collar then too. Is that what you guys did?

hazelrunpack
February 27th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Typically, that's how we've done it--from the itchy time to a day or so after the stitches are removed (just to give the stitch holes a little time to close up and to give any residual scabs a chance to heal). Depending on when she stops itching, you might be able to get rid of the DEC sooner. You never know--she may not be bothered with enough itching to need it. :shrug: (You can hope, anyway. :fingerscr :D) But if she shows any signs of licking or chewing at the incisions, don't wait--just use the collar. Better safe than sorry.

With Priscilla's hip replacements, I think it was the hair growing back that bothered her more than anything. :shrug: Musta been kinda prickly! :o

clm
February 27th, 2008, 10:48 PM
If you find her getting too active, the cone tends to make them less frisky so you can always use it if you need to slow her down.
It's wonderful that she's up and moving around so quickly. She's so cute. :cloud9:

Cindy

growler~GateKeeper
February 27th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Awwww such a :sad: little face :grouphug: Yes I'd be suckered by that face :D

Glad to hear she got both done @ the sametime & she's moving about already :highfive:

:goodvibes: for keeping her quiet for 2 months

clm - good idea about the DEC to put a damper on over-exuberant behaviour during recovery :thumbs up

krdahmer
February 27th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Aw so glad she is home and doing well... hope she heals fast and has no more trouble with her legs! :goodvibes:

rainbow
February 28th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Awwww....poor wee Belle. :grouphug: It's good to see her walking already though. :thumbs up I have a feeling that it's going to be an awfully long two months. :D

Love4himies
February 28th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Glad to hear she breezed through the surgery, can't imagine keeping her quiet for two months:eek:.

ancientgirl
February 28th, 2008, 09:47 AM
What a little trooper she is. They look so defeated when they have that cone on don't they? I'm glad she went through the surgery with no problems.

Good luck keeping her calm!

onster
February 28th, 2008, 09:57 AM
yay! her surgery went well. I hear ya Belle about the cone....Hazel looked so pathetic with it, but then he couldnt control the itchies now could he? :rolleyes:.

Maybe she'll be so distracted playing (smoothly) with big brother pete that she wont think of itching :fingerscr

:fingerscrspeeedy recovery:fingerscr:goodvibes:

bendyfoot
February 28th, 2008, 10:18 AM
She's looking great! The surgeon did a really nice, neat job with those stitches, she's going to look fabulous once that fur grows back in, you'll never even know it happened!

Smiley14
February 28th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks guys!!! She is doing well again today! Her little legs are all swollen and bruised, but they told me that would happen. So she looks worse and it can't feel good, but she was bright and happy this morning. :cloud9: (Especially after I gave her the morning's dose of pain killers!) :laughing: Petey has been sniffing her injures non-stop and then sitting quietly next to her, so he totally knows he has to be careful with her and that she can't play right now. I love that boy! :lovestruck:

Frenchy
February 28th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Petey has been sniffing her injures non-stop and then sitting quietly next to her, so he totally knows he has to be careful with her and that she can't play right now. I love that boy! :lovestruck:

Good boy Petey ! What a good big brother he is :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
February 28th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Aw, Petey is such a softy! :cloud9: He's a very good big brother to Belle.

Glad she's doing well. :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
February 29th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Good boy Petey :highfive:

rainbow
February 29th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Awwww.....hugs to them both. :grouphug:

Smiley14
February 29th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Day three and she's trying to run now! :eek: I let her outside on a long leash because it just snowed and I was in my slippers, but that was a mistake I won't be making again! The little brat picked her way across the yard to go potty, but then came RUNNING back to me at full speed! AH! I panicked and rushed to grab her and got cold feet a surpised dog, LOL! She was like, "WHAT?!" I am still shocked at how well she's doing. But feeling good and healing are of course two different things, so I will be much more diligent going forward! (And will keep a pair of boots by the back door to slip on and off, LOL!)

hazelrunpack
February 29th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Oh, the little vixen!!!! :eek:

Priscilla was the same way. :rolleyes:

One way to look at it is that Belle is a real trooper and healing great! :thumbs up But I think she's going to be a real challenge for you to keep quiet, Smiley! :D When do you go back for her next check? Maybe she'll heal so fast they'll give her a week or two off for good behavior (hey, don't laugh--Evan was supposed to rest for 12 weeks after his second elbow surgery and he got 6 weeks off for good behavior and rapid healing! :thumbs up)

Frenchy
February 29th, 2008, 09:39 PM
But I think she's going to be a real challenge for you to keep quiet, Smiley! :D

omg , do you have any doggy valiums Smiley14 :laughing:

Good luck ! :fingerscr

Smiley14
February 29th, 2008, 09:51 PM
LOL, I hope she goes get time off for good behavior! This is going to be an interesting two months! We go back in two weeks to have the sutures removed, so I'll be curious to see what they say!

I just picked up some bully sticks and ordered some antler chews online, so hopefully that will work like vallium, Frenchy! :laughing:

Frenchy
February 29th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I just picked up some bully sticks and ordered some antler chews online, so hopefully that will work like vallium, Frenchy! :laughing:

:laughing: I hope so too. I know how you feel (although I never had a dog who had to rest for that long , as Belle has to) I always fell relieved once they had their surgery but hate the after part. :sad: It would be so much easier if they knew they had to rest and stay calm ..... but that would be too easy for us :laughing:

hazelrunpack
February 29th, 2008, 09:55 PM
So what are you going to be chewing on? :D We found vodka ice cubes to be especially soothing... :laughing:

Frenchy
February 29th, 2008, 10:05 PM
We found vodka ice cubes to be especially soothing... :laughing:

omg I never thought about that ! Sounds yummy :D

hazelrunpack
February 29th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Yes, folks....that was hazel contributing to the delinquency of a Frenchy! :laugh:

Frenchy
February 29th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Yes, folks....that was hazel contributing to the delinquency of a Frenchy! :laugh:

And Frenchy thanks YOU very much :thankyou: :laughing:

Smiley14
February 29th, 2008, 10:20 PM
So what are you going to be chewing on? :D We found vodka ice cubes to be especially soothing... :laughing:

You guys crack me up. I can't stop laughing! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Frenchy
February 29th, 2008, 10:29 PM
You guys crack me up. I can't stop laughing! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

nooooo ,don't laugh too much , it might wake up Belle and she'll go http://bestsmileys.com/hyper/9.gif

:eek:

Belle , come here Belle , mommy has nice ice cubes for you ..... :laughing:

hazelrunpack
February 29th, 2008, 10:34 PM
And Frenchy thanks YOU very much :thankyou: :laughing:

You're very welcome...any time! :thumbs up :D

nooooo ,don't laugh too much , it might wake up Belle and she'll go http://bestsmileys.com/hyper/9.gif

No, no...mommy must keep those ice cubes for herself. :o

So how is she doing, Smiley? Is she sleeping at night or is she getting too many naps during the day?

Smiley14
February 29th, 2008, 10:47 PM

Now I WILL wake her up with my laughing! :laughing: :laughing:

Smiley14
February 29th, 2008, 10:49 PM
You're very welcome...any time! :thumbs up :D

No, no...mommy must keep those ice cubes for herself. :o

So how is she doing, Smiley? Is she sleeping at night or is she getting too many naps during the day?

So far so good! Right now she's happily chewing on a bully stick and enjoying some time out of the e-collar. But it must be starting to itch because she's trying to lick her stitches much more now. Ugh! Luckily the bully stick is a good distraction. :laughing: But so far, she's sleeping good!

hazelrunpack
February 29th, 2008, 10:55 PM
At least after the first 10 days or so, she won't need the collar any more. I'll bet she's loving her bully sticks! Does Petey get some, too, for being such a good big brother?

Smiley14
February 29th, 2008, 11:08 PM
At least after the first 10 days or so, she won't need the collar any more. I'll bet she's loving her bully sticks! Does Petey get some, too, for being such a good big brother?

I can't wait until we're past the stage of needing the e-collar! So glad that part isn't too terribly long at least! :) But oh yes, she's loving the bully stick! And Petey has one too, don't worry. There wouldn't be peace in the house if I gave only one of them a treat. :laughing:

rainbow
February 29th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Awwww Petey.....you're such a good big bro. :thumbs up

Are antler chews just deer/elk antlers or are they ground up and something added? :o

Smiley14
February 29th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Awwww Petey.....you're such a good big bro. :thumbs up

Are antler chews just deer/elk antlers or are they ground up and something added? :o

Nope, just the antlers! They're great! :) These are the ones I have now:

http://www.asankadogs.com/Antlerz.html

And this is the site I just ordered some more from today. It was posted in the Boston Terrier forum I post in. I'm trying out the JUMBO size, LOL, as they are supposed to last for months. :)

http://www.bonusvelvetantler.com/

They're expensive, but long lasting. :)

rainbow
February 29th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Hubby shot a deer last fall and we still have the antlers. They're buried under the snow and I told him he has to get rid of them. I wonder if you can just give them to the dogs "as is" or if the "do something" with them first? :shrug:

Smiley14
February 29th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Hubby shot a deer last fall and we still have the antlers. They're buried under the snow and I told him he has to get rid of them. I wonder if you can just give them to the dogs "as is" or if the "do something" with them first? :shrug:

Supposedly they're just cut and cleaned, so in theory, it should be the same??

TeriM
March 25th, 2008, 02:15 AM
We need an update on beautiful Belle's post-surgery and of course any news on her fabulous big brother :rolleyes: