Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis

Purpledomino
February 27th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Terrible day today. Squiggy my 6 1/2 month old Minpin started vomiting and bloody diarrhea....wasted no time taking him to vet, who after fecal, CBC and xray he came to the conclusion that he has HGE, or Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis. Poor boy needs to spend probably a couple days at least on IV and antibiotics at the clinic :cry:. He is still fresh from his cryptorchid neuter and hernia repair of two weeks ago....the stitches are still there!

Broke my heart to leave him there again.... Anyways, getting to my question. Has anyone gone through this? The vet says there are no known direct causes, just speculations such as stress, bacteria, or diet etc. This may be an ongoing problem, and I suspect it will be as he has had very minor episodes of anorexia, vomiting, and diarrhea....but nothing close to this. I have been scouring the internet, but first hand knowledge is invaluable. All I can say is I'm pretty thankful that I insured this little guy...

I especially would like to hear from anyone that has had success with diet. Thank-you in advance for any information! :pray:

phoozles
February 27th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Sorry to hear about Squiggy :sad:
I don't have any advice, but I'm sending you some :goodvibes: that he'll bounce back soon! :grouphug:

pitgrrl
February 27th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Yup, and I seriously thought my dog was gonna die on me before I could get him to the vet in the morning.

BUT, he was totally fine within a day or two. They didn't even keep him at the vet, just checked him out, prescribed a week of metronidazole (sp?), I fasted him on broth for a day and then slowly re-introduced a very plain (meat/organ/lettuce) diet which he stayed on for a good couple of weeks. I also worked with a homeopath/nutritionist after that to figure out a better diet and appropriate supplements to get him back in shape.

The only real long term issue I remember is that he lost a ton of weight and muscle mass through that whole episode and it took him a bit to get it all back on and not look kind of boney.

In spite of this being my dog with a long history of GI problems, we haven't had any further issues of that sort and it was around a year ago now.

I hope the little one is doing better soon.

Purpledomino
February 27th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the well wishes for Squiggs. I just talked to the vet, and he had some more of the nasty bloody diarrhea again, but he hasn't vomited since. He said he seems pretty alert, so that's good....and the vet is making a special trip in to the clinic around midnite to check on him. That makes me feel alot better. They're putting alot of fluids into him, Metronidazole, and an IV antibiotic. Probably another shot of Metoclopramide to help stop the vomiting.

It's going to be a tough one tonite without my Squiggs. :sad:

Lukka'sma
February 27th, 2008, 08:22 PM
:fingerscrSquiggs is feeling better tomorrow. I am sure it is very nerve wracking to go through this, for both you and him

hazelrunpack
February 27th, 2008, 08:29 PM
:goodvibes: for Squiggy. I hope he's feeling much better tomorrow, Purpledomino! :grouphug:s for you and :fingerscr and :pray:s for Squiggy's quick recovery.