Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need to know what shampoo to use on my dog with severe allergies

Linda1840
February 27th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I have a ShihTzu with severe allergies. We found out she has Hypothyroid and was put on meds yesterday. Hoping to help alot of her problems. She has Malassezia yeast infection. We have tried all the shampoo for this including Maleseb which she couldn't handle. She is allergic to any drugs or ointment ending with zole. She even breaks out when I use Oatmeal shampoo I got at the Vet. I been reading about homemade shampoo and I'm so afraid to try anything new. Does anyone know of anything? I have even been the baby shampoo route. As soon as I start bathing her she cries like everything I put on her burns?
The homemade is glycerin, apple cider vinegar, Ivory dish soap. I'm not sure what the vinegar will do since her skin is so sensative. I even scared of the glucerin since it's in about all shampoos and the Ivory ?. She could be allergic to it?? :shrug: I'm lost on where to go next?:shrug:

aslan
February 27th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Any human shampoo you are using on your little one, mix 3to1. One part shampoo to 3 parts water. It is too strong for her skin. Phone a pet groomer and ask if they have any suggestions. There are shampoo's for dogs with severe allergies. you really shouldn't bath her too often. If you are just trying to get rid of doggy smell, sprinkle alittle baking soda on her, and brush it back out. it takes the excess oils and smell out. In this case I would really deal with a groomer not a vet.

t.pettet
February 27th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Epi-soothe is one that comes to mind but try washing just a small patch (on her back above the tail) and see if that irritates her. Avoid all human shampoos as they are too acidic and don't bathe her more than once every 3 months. If Epi-sooth irritates her ask your vet for a tar based shampoo and do the patch test with that too.

lindiak007
March 10th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Use
VIRBAC / Animal Health...CORTISOOTHE.
My dog has a poison ivy alergic reaction all over his tummy. We used antibiotics to get rid of it, but for the 3rd time it had happened i decided to try just a shampoo. We tried this one and it was working....
It is soothing anti-inflammatory shampoo for dogs/cats/horses;-)

I got it from my vet.