Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Arthritis Diet/ Supplements

Gibbons
February 27th, 2008, 03:28 PM
So I've been reading up on supplements to help with arthritis (this was mostly posted before in the general forum, but it's more food-related now so I'm moving it) for my 12-ish, three-legged, arthritis-pained foster pup.

I have decided to buy the hock holder to provide support for his very-wobbly back leg so he doesn't strain it, and I'm still thinking on the wrist straps. http://www.handicappedpets.com/acc/wrap/index.htm

I have been looking into supplements (looking for a good place to find fish oil, vitamin C and ester-C for arthritis pain), and now that I know how horrible carbs are for arthritis, I'm going to look into putting them on a grain-free food.

I don't want anything interfere w/ his Rimadyl supplement, and since he's not my pet and I don't know the vet at all I don't want to mess around too much with it. Would Glucosamine & Chondroitin interfere at all? I'll call the rescue/ try to speak to the vet there and get their take on it, of course. I'd just like some prelim info.

I was also wondering about sardines for the fish oil, and some sites mentioned adding an egg - should I add it raw, or cook it first? I was feeding him sardines for dry skin, but my roommates told me it was stupid so I stopped.

Maybe this is retarded, but part of my concern in all of this is that since they're fosters, I don't want to get them "hooked" on something that a potential home might find too expensive or too time-consuming, which is why I'm not considering a raw/ home cooked diet. I'd like them to go to a home that sees this as necessary, but I'm not sure how realistic that is. Would supplements, grain-free food, etc be the kind of thing that you can't switch off of? If it works, I don't know why they would, but... :shrug:

Sorry for the length- eventually you'll all learn I can't post anything SHORT!

jessi76
February 27th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I'm certainly NO expert, but IF it were me, I'd add one thing at a time, see how/if it helps.

Instead of feeding sardines, you can buy fish oil capsules (even generics) at most stores that sell vitamins. you can break the oil capsule and add to the food. my mom did this for her dog, worked great. she actually warmed the oil a bit (makes it fishy-smelly) then added to kibble, and her dog literally woofed it down. the smell was YUCK though! so hold your nose.

same with glucosamine. you can buy it OTC at any store that sells vitamins. I am unsure of the dosage you'd need though.

I'd stick to supplements that will help, but are also readily available and affordable. Start with one or two, see how they work with the dog before adding a whole bunch. if for any reason there is a reaction, it'd be harder to pinpoint if you suddenly introduce multiple supplements at once.

Alternatively, have you considered using ONE supplement, like Missing Link? This would be available in most pet supply stores and can be added right into the food. this should help with skin, coat, and joint issues.

like I said, I'm no expert on arthritic dogs. just my :2cents:

Gibbons
February 27th, 2008, 04:00 PM
By the time I actually get them all (and finish our current bag of dog food, etc) It'll probably get added in one at a time over a series of weeks. I think vitamin C and fish oil I'll add at once, but in small doses and work my way up.

I was just under the impression that an all-in-one mixture for pets would be far more expensive. Maybe I'm wrong, though; I'll see what I can find.

mona_b
February 27th, 2008, 09:13 PM
My vet actually refused to put my guy on Rimadyl.Have you researched this drug Gibbons?It's not very good long term,even short term.

I had my noy on Glucosamine and shark Cartlidge..But then got him on K9-MX..It the canine version of Lakoda.All natural.And he's doing great.:thumbs up

http://www.maisonradical.ca/Nouveau_Dossier/Lakota/k9-mx.htm

Gibbons
February 27th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Yeah, Rimadyl freaks me out a bit too, I've read up on it a fair bit. Not good stuff at all.

On the other hand, they do say for some dogs with chronic pain it can be all that really helps. I'm not sure that criticising the vet that my rescue works with is really the best idea, so I've decided to leave that one alone- for now, at least.

I'm ALSO not sure about how great rimadyl is as a pain reliever- he still seems uncomfortable most days, but it may just be me projecting.

mona_b
February 27th, 2008, 09:39 PM
How long has he been on it?

Gibbons
February 28th, 2008, 01:05 AM
No clue. Apparently they'd been with the rescue since July, so I'd assume somewhere around then?

rainbow
February 28th, 2008, 01:50 AM
I would definitely put him on glucosamine and chondroitin. You can also get it with MSM added too which may help to lessen the amount of Rimadyl he's getting since that is such a scary drug.

Also put him on a grain free food if you can.

Have you read the information on arthritis at the dogaware website?

http://www.dogaware.com/arthritis.html#DLPA