Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jake's Weigh In

phoozles
February 27th, 2008, 11:44 AM
As you may or may not know, my senior cat Jake was trying to lose weight for most of his life - none of the dry food was working, and I got him on exclusively Wellness wet at the end of October of last year.

I wanted to weigh him, but I couldn't for the life of me find a baby scale, so my BF brought him in to the vet yesterday to get weighed.

The verdict - He went from 16.8lbs in October to a robust 13lbs on the dot! Since he's such a big guy, we figure we'll keep him at this weight :thumbs up

They also gave him a quick check up (for free, which was awesome), and determined that the heart murmer he was diagnosed with is completely gone! He's perfectly healthy! (too bad they can't give him a tummy tuck for all that excess skin)

The funny thing is, they asked my BF what he was eating to lose the weight. Then the vet tech said that she had read a study that cats lose weight better on wet food because it's easier to portion out :confused: and that most owners overshoot the dry. :rolleyes: It's funny, because Jake was on a a precise diet of 3/4 of a cup a day of dry and lost nothing, and is now on a loose measurement of 4/5ths of a can a day and has lost several pounds. Whatever. :)

krdahmer
February 27th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Way to go! :thumbs up I hope the Wellness works the same for Buddy, he was 17lbs and has already lost 0.2 lbs since starting it a few weeks ago. The vet wants him around 13 too, because he is also a large cat. He is my only guy that needs to lose, and the only one who will eat the Wellness... so that works out alright!

phoozles
February 27th, 2008, 03:52 PM
That works out perfectly - it really didn't take too much time at all! I'm sure Buddy will be slim and trim in no time! We've still got him on 4/5ths of a can for now, but if he loses any more, we'll up it to a full can a day.

I got so excited that I mentioned it on my radio show today - I didn't get brand specific, but I just mentioned the benefits of wet over dry, and I got a couple of phone calls asking me about it, so hopefully it'll make a difference! :shrug: One woman has a 22lbs cat :eek: so hopefully he'll get on the right track soon enough.

krdahmer
February 27th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I've been feeding Buddy the whole can... maybe I should feed a little less and see if he loses it a bit faster. I also mix it with warm water so it is almost soupy.

chico2
February 27th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Wow,that's great phoozles and dahmer,my Vinnie is also overweight,it's really difficult because Rocky has to gain weight:shrug:
I am sure Vinnie would eat Wellness,he eats anything,Rocky and Chico did not like it when I tried once.
Maybe I'll try the same with Vinnie as you are doing,he's going to meet my new wonderful vet next week and I'll get in trouble:laughing:
Rocky and Chico seems to need to snack on dry though,so it has to stay for them.
Right now Vinnie eats 1/3 of a can twice daily+dry food,maybe if I increase it,he won't need to eat dry.

phoozles
February 27th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I've been feeding Buddy the whole can... maybe I should feed a little less and see if he loses it a bit faster. I also mix it with warm water so it is almost soupy.

If he's about the same size as Jake was, I'd try lowering the amount a smidge - as I said, it's ALMOST a full can (we just split the can into fives - give him four a day and save the next piece for the next day). Of course, if he looks like he's losing weight too fast, then give him more, but Jake's weight loss was pretty steady. The soupy food sounds like a good idea - maybe it make him feel a little fuller!

phoozles
February 27th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Wow,that's great phoozles and dahmer,my Vinnie is also overweight,it's really difficult because Rocky has to gain weight:shrug:
I am sure Vinnie would eat Wellness,he eats anything,Rocky and Chico did not like it when I tried once.
Maybe I'll try the same with Vinnie as you are doing,he's going to meet my new wonderful vet next week and I'll get in trouble:laughing:
Rocky and Chico seems to need to snack on dry though,so it has to stay for them.
Right now Vinnie eats 1/3 of a can twice daily+dry food,maybe if I increase it,he won't need to eat dry.

It's hard when you've got a couple of kitties, chico2, but if you can kind of feed them separately, you'll be okay.

It's too bad you can't get rid of the dry completely, but maybe Vinnie will be like my sister's cat Lenny. She moved him to wet food and now he won't even touch the dry stuff. She can actually keep the dry food bag right next to his dish, and he won't go near it! :eek: (If I did that there would be cat mouth shaped hole in the bag immediately. Jake loves his food!)

I couldn't believe how quickly it happened for Jake - he's got muscle definition too!

growler~GateKeeper
February 28th, 2008, 12:26 AM
great job Jake & Phoozles :thumbs up :highfive:

rainbow
February 28th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Woo Hoo Jake

http://bestsmileys.com/dancing/14.gif

onster
February 28th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Great news for Jake!!! :thumbs up

I think Onnie may neeed to follow his 'lifestyle change' :D

chico2
February 28th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Phoozles,I already feed them seperate,Vinnie eats in the kitchen and Chico and Rocky in another room with me.
I have to sit by Rocky and make sure he eats all of his first teaspoon of food with his pill in it,then he gets the rest.
After Vinnie is done his,he comes in and checks for leftovers in the other dishes:cat:gives me that sad look with his odd-eyed face,he would eat everyones dish if I let him.:frustrated:

Chris21711
February 28th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Which size can are you referring to? Herbie needs to loose weight drastically and this sounds like a good way to go about it rather than have him on diet kibble and canned food.

ancientgirl
February 28th, 2008, 11:09 AM
That's fantastic news for Jake!

I wish I could get mine to eat the Wellness. None of them like it and I've tried to introduce it to them on several occasions. Vlad is 17 pounds as of last month. I'm going to weigh him at the vet's Saturday, since I haven't been able to get the baby scale I wanted yet.

The vet wanted to see him get down to at least 12 pounds.

phoozles
February 28th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks everyone - we're so proud :lovestruck: :D

Phoozles,I already feed them seperate,Vinnie eats in the kitchen and Chico and Rocky in another room with me.
I have to sit by Rocky and make sure he eats all of his first teaspoon of food with his pill in it,then he gets the rest.
After Vinnie is done his,he comes in and checks for leftovers in the other dishes:cat:gives me that sad look with his odd-eyed face,he would eat everyones dish if I let him.:frustrated:

Jake (and Alley, actually) would do the same. I've found that I've had to be tough with Jake. He gets what he gets, when he gets it, and slowly he's accepted it. If one of them takes longer to eat than the other, I put one in a completely separate room until the other one is done. Jake used to eat a little and then leave it, but after Alley stealing the leftovers (see, Alley = :evil:), he quickly learned to eat it all in one sitting. I hate the sad face, and the raspy meow, but I try to be strong. :)

Which size can are you referring to? Herbie needs to loose weight drastically and this sounds like a good way to go about it rather than have him on diet kibble and canned food.

It's super easy to do - that diet kibble I fed him before did absolutely nothing! I feed him the 5.5 oz cans. I just draw 4 lines in a fresh can to make 5 portions, and feed him four times a day (but two portions could be fed in one sitting, of course - it's just easier this way for me because again, Jake likes to eat - so if he eats several times a day he's less harassing :)). The only treats he ever gets is a little bit of milk from my cereal in the morning.

The amount I feed him is based on 20% less than the calories he was getting before I switched (or something - BF is the math man - I know nothing when it comes to calculations :shrug:). So the amount I feed Jake equals to about 200 calories a day. This website (http://www.catinfo.org/feline_obesity.htm#How_Much_Do_I_Feed) shows how much to feed your cat, based on how much he/she weighs and what you want his/her ideal weight to be.

phoozles
February 28th, 2008, 11:15 AM
That's fantastic news for Jake!

I wish I could get mine to eat the Wellness. None of them like it and I've tried to introduce it to them on several occasions. Vlad is 17 pounds as of last month. I'm going to weigh him at the vet's Saturday, since I haven't been able to get the baby scale I wanted yet.

The vet wanted to see him get down to at least 12 pounds.

Thanks!

If they don't like the Wellness, you still might have success on other foods. Wellness is easy for me because I know the calorie count, and of course, Jake will eat it (of course Jake will eat anything) but if you can find a good low carb food that is high in calories it can be just as easy (even easier if you know someone who is good at math, which again, thank dog my BF is).

Check out this site (http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html) if you haven't seen it yet - it gives you a break down of the carb count (should ideally be under 10) and the calorie count. Maybe you could find another food from here.. ? If you could feed Vlad around 200 calories a day, he should be slim and trim in no time! :thumbs up

ancientgirl
February 28th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks!

If they don't like the Wellness, you still might have success on other foods. Wellness is easy for me because I know the calorie count, and of course, Jake will eat it (of course Jake will eat anything) but if you can find a good low carb food that is high in calories it can be just as easy (even easier if you know someone who is good at math, which again, thank dog my BF is).

Check out this site (http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html) if you haven't seen it yet - it gives you a break down of the carb count (should ideally be under 10) and the calorie count. Maybe you could find another food from here.. ? If you could feed Vlad around 200 calories a day, he should be slim and trim in no time! :thumbs up

Oh thanks for that link! They all love Fancy Feast and I see many of the flavors they like. I'm going to print out those pages. I'm terrible with math, but the calculator is my friend, I'll figure it out.

Oksana keeps her weight steady. She's been 8 pounds for a while now, and Maks and Kiska are still growing, so I expect them to gain weight.

I need to just take away some of the dry I leave out. I used to leave dry in all of their bowls, but I took away two bowls so they only have half of what they used to. Maybe I'll should just leave one bowl of dry out, that way they don't all suffer.

The canned I only give them in the morning and when I get home. I'll have to portion that out better and do like you, be strong and not let that sad "why are you starving me" look get to me.

Vlad's wellness exam came back with all normal results, but the vet told me he was too young to weigh so much, even if he is a big kitty. She said if he kept on like that he might develop diabetes and I don't want that.

want4rain
February 28th, 2008, 11:36 AM
*chuckles* all this talk of baby scales... we weigh Jeffrey at Target in the produce section. :cool: it works for us.

-ashley

phoozles
February 28th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Oh thanks for that link! They all love Fancy Feast and I see many of the flavors they like. I'm going to print out those pages. I'm terrible with math, but the calculator is my friend, I'll figure it out.

Oksana keeps her weight steady. She's been 8 pounds for a while now, and Maks and Kiska are still growing, so I expect them to gain weight.

I need to just take away some of the dry I leave out. I used to leave dry in all of their bowls, but I took away two bowls so they only have half of what they used to. Maybe I'll should just leave one bowl of dry out, that way they don't all suffer.

The canned I only give them in the morning and when I get home. I'll have to portion that out better and do like you, be strong and not let that sad "why are you starving me" look get to me.

Vlad's wellness exam came back with all normal results, but the vet told me he was too young to weigh so much, even if he is a big kitty. She said if he kept on like that he might develop diabetes and I don't want that.

Yeah, Vlad is a little young to be so big - he's probably got a lot of growing to do still! When you have multiple cats, you quickly figure out who cleans out the bowls at the end of the day!

Fancy Feast is okay to get his weight down - just try to avoid the ones with wheat gluten in them (usually the cut up pieces). Who knew cat nutrition would be this much work? I spend more time looking at the ingredients in my cats' food than my own! :rolleyes: :laughing:

Of course, my boyfriend looks at me like I'm crazy when I mention a new thing I'm going to try with Jake, but even he can't deny how good he looks now!

phoozles
February 28th, 2008, 11:51 AM
*chuckles* all this talk of baby scales... we weigh Jeffrey at Target in the produce section. :cool: it works for us.

-ashley

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I'm just picturing a you slipping in the baby and then weighing some tomatoes right after it. :D

It's a good idea, but I don't know how cool the local supermarket would be with me trucking in my kitties and holding them over the onions. :shrug: :laughing:

ancientgirl
February 28th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Yeah, Vlad is a little young to be so big - he's probably got a lot of growing to do still! When you have multiple cats, you quickly figure out who cleans out the bowls at the end of the day!

Fancy Feast is okay to get his weight down - just try to avoid the ones with wheat gluten in them (usually the cut up pieces). Who knew cat nutrition would be this much work? I spend more time looking at the ingredients in my cats' food than my own! :rolleyes: :laughing:

Of course, my boyfriend looks at me like I'm crazy when I mention a new thing I'm going to try with Jake, but even he can't deny how good he looks now!

Right now it's Maks doing all the cleaning up. But I know I need to start controlling that before it gets out of hand too.

LOL, I also look for the ones with no wheat gluten too, so I'm used to that already. I started doing that after I'd read something on a link here. Besides, I've noticed they like the pate ones more than the little cut up pieces and those seem to be the ones with no wheat gluten most often.

And yes, I don't look at the ingredients of my own food as much as I look at theirs. But I figure, they can't control what they eat, it's up to me. I mean, I know I eat too much junk, it's not a conscious decision for them.

Shabby
February 28th, 2008, 12:31 PM
As you may or may not know, my senior cat Jake was trying to lose weight for most of his life - none of the dry food was working, and I got him on exclusively Wellness wet at the end of October of last year.

I wanted to weigh him, but I couldn't for the life of me find a baby scale, so my BF brought him in to the vet yesterday to get weighed.

The verdict - He went from 16.8lbs in October to a robust 13lbs on the dot! Since he's such a big guy, we figure we'll keep him at this weight :thumbs up

They also gave him a quick check up (for free, which was awesome), and determined that the heart murmer he was diagnosed with is completely gone! He's perfectly healthy! (too bad they can't give him a tummy tuck for all that excess skin)

The funny thing is, they asked my BF what he was eating to lose the weight. Then the vet tech said that she had read a study that cats lose weight better on wet food because it's easier to portion out :confused: and that most owners overshoot the dry. :rolleyes: It's funny, because Jake was on a a precise diet of 3/4 of a cup a day of dry and lost nothing, and is now on a loose measurement of 4/5ths of a can a day and has lost several pounds. Whatever. :)

:thumbs up Congratulations!!!!! It is sooo hard for cats to lose weight, much slower process than dogs. If you find anyone willing to remove the excess tummy flab, let me know, maybe we could get a "two for one" :laughing: Snoopy has the same problem now.

Keep up the good work!

ancientgirl
February 28th, 2008, 02:07 PM
You know, both Vlad and Oksana have a little tummy pooch, and Oksana isn't at a high weight.

My vet says she sees it in many indoor cats after they are spayed/neutered partly due to lack of exercise. But Czarina has it too and she's outdoors.

phoozles
February 28th, 2008, 03:24 PM
:thumbs up Congratulations!!!!! It is sooo hard for cats to lose weight, much slower process than dogs. If you find anyone willing to remove the excess tummy flab, let me know, maybe we could get a "two for one" :laughing: Snoopy has the same problem now.

Keep up the good work!

That would be hilarious - we'd take them to a kitty plastic surgeon, under the guise that they are "exhausted" (to confuse the flashing cameras) and they'd come out looking fabulous! :D

A little pooch is normal - but when Jake first lost the weight, you could see extra skin everywhere (under his arms, etc). Lately though, he looks like he's toning it up a bit.. he definitely gets enough exercise with Alley chasing him all over the place!

chico2
February 28th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I weigh my cats on my own scale,weigh myself first then pick up one of the cats,subtract my own weight and there is the cats weight:thumbs up

Shabby
February 28th, 2008, 04:33 PM
That would be hilarious - we'd take them to a kitty plastic surgeon, under the guise that they are "exhausted" (to confuse the flashing cameras) and they'd come out looking fabulous! :D

A little pooch is normal - but when Jake first lost the weight, you could see extra skin everywhere (under his arms, etc). Lately though, he looks like he's toning it up a bit.. he definitely gets enough exercise with Alley chasing him all over the place!

Maybe they'd do a photo spread...before and after! :laughing:

phoozles
February 28th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I weigh my cats on my own scale,weigh myself first then pick up one of the cats,subtract my own weight and there is the cats weight:thumbs up

We tried that once, but our scale is a little crummy (BF got the cheapest one from Walmart) so we didn't get an accurate reading. :shrug:

I figure we'll take him back to the vet in a couple weeks to weigh him again just to see his progress, and then hopefully my BF will finally know what to get me for my birthday (he's not very good at that type of thing :rolleyes:)

Jake hates the car, so I'd like to limit his drives as much as possible, even though it's only 10 minutes away.

sugarcatmom
February 28th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Congrats to you and Jake on his new physique! I think he deserves a celebratory tunarita. :highfive:

A good place to look for baby scales is on eBay. I got this one (http://www.canadianweigh.com/scales/mbs2010-baby-scale) a few years ago (not from eBay, though) and love it. Aztec was pretty traumatized from his many vet visits and even though it was really important for me to keep an eye on his weight, I didn't want to subject him to the stress of taking him there just to use their scale. So I bought my own!