Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puffy ear

Oogaboogagirl
February 27th, 2008, 11:39 AM
My 10 year old golden's right ear is puffy it's almost like he has some liquid in it. Is it infection or bite? How should I treat this? It doesn't seem to hurt him when it's touched.

bendyfoot
February 27th, 2008, 12:07 PM
It's possibly an aural haematoma (basically a pooling of blood between layers of tissue in the ear). They're pretty common in hang-eared doggies, and can be caused by a bump or even just by rigorous head shaking (and ear flapping). They can resolve on their own, but can also get progressively worse and require surgical treatment (draining). I'd recommend getting it evaluated by the vet asap.

hazelrunpack
February 27th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I agree, Oogaboogagirl. A vet visit is a good idea. Some hematomas will heal by themselves, but often the ear is thickened and less pliable afterward. A vet will be able to tell you the best treatment.

And welcome to the board. :D There are a lot of members crazy about goldens, so I hope you're planning on posting a few pictures of your golden boy. :fingerscr

Frenchy
February 27th, 2008, 09:14 PM
One of my fosters had this. The vet drained it but it came back... sometimes just draining it will stop it but other times they need to drain it and "staple" the ear to close the "empty bubble" inside so it won't fill up again.