Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat seizures

Mr. Spud
February 27th, 2008, 11:08 AM
My cat has had 4 seizures in the past 1 1/2 years. His seizures seem to occur when he is startled by a loud noise when he is in a deep sleep. They normally last only about 30 seconds to 1 minute. He seems to be disoriented for a few hours following the episode, but there seem to be no lasting effects. The cat is about 16 years old and otherwise in good health. Indoor cat. I took him to a vet after the first seizure, but the vet did not have any definitive answers after exam and blood tests.

Does anyone have suggestions??

Thanks,

Jean

meg4050
February 27th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Hi Jean,

I have a recently diagnosed epileptic cat so I know a bit about it. If nothing has turned up in labwork then vets generally conclude that a cat is epileptic since there is no other underlying cause. They're then generally treated with an anticonvulsant (Peaches is on 15mg/day of Phenobarbitol) to reduce the frequency of seizures.

However, if your cat is only having 4 in a span of 18 months, medication probably isn't necessary. They tend to only be put on meds if the cat is having seizures once a week or more. Should you decide to put your cat on medication, anticonvulsants are fairly inexpensive :thumbs up

Hope this helps!
Megan