Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

coworker's sick dog

3dognight
February 27th, 2008, 12:26 AM
A coworker of mine had to bring her greyhound to the vet today, after Maddie had a bloody stool last night. My coworker said it was like tar. The vet is two hours away, and in the meantime, the dog also vomited and there was blood in it.
She was (understandably) very upset. She called us at work once the dog had her inital exam and I guess there was a possibility it was an ulcer, but I know she was worried about cancer - she adopts former racing greyhounds, and she said 4 of 5 have died of cancer (different types of cancers).
I guess I don't really have anything else to say, just keep Maddie and her owner in your thoughts. Poor doggie.

Love4himies
February 27th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Oh poor Maddie. Sending some :goodvibes: that it is not serious.

hazelrunpack
February 27th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Any word on Maddie? :pray:

We're keeping our :fingerscr and crossing our:pawprint:s, hoping for some good news.

Purpledomino
February 27th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I hope Maddie is okay....any word? :fingerscr

rainbow
February 28th, 2008, 02:21 AM
So sorry to hear about Maddie. :grouphug: I hope it isn't cancer. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

3dognight
February 28th, 2008, 10:43 PM
:thumbs up Okay, so the verdict so far is she's going to be okay, vet says maybe an ulcer.

She is 14, so she's getting up there. I admit I don't know the life span on greyhounds, particularly former racers. But my coworker said she's been on daily aspirin for a long time, for her hips (maybe displaysia? I'm not sure). There were elevated counts (of white blood cells?, I'm not totally sure) in her blood, but not enough to cause alarm to the vet. She stopped vomiting, although she didn't say about the stool. Anyway, my coworker was feeling much better about it, so thanks for the good wishes and thoughts.:thankyou:

Love4himies
February 29th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Wahoo :thumbs up that is great news.

badger
February 29th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I hope the vet told her to stop the asprin, it is very hard on the stomach. She might want to switch to glucosamine or even a low dose of Metacam.

hazelrunpack
February 29th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Good news! :highfive: Made my day. :D I hope Maddie is 100% again soon! (And off the aspirin! :o)

Purpledomino
February 29th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Yay...good news. Here's to hoping Maddie enjoys many more healthy years to come! :goodvibes: