Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bladder Stones

Denise1416
February 26th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Hi everyone, My 4yr.old cat was diagnosed with bladder stones. The vet is putting her on a special diet only, with hopes this will dissolve the stones. Does anyone have advise for me as to anything else I can do for my cat, such as supplements or whatever. My cat is very finicky and I am afraid she will not eat the food. I also have 3 other cats...a real challenge lies ahead for us.

Love4himies
February 27th, 2008, 06:36 AM
There are two types of stones, struvite and calcium oxalate depending upon the stone, two very different diets are required. Struvite require and acidic diet and calcium oxalate require an alkaline.

Has your vet been able to examine a stone to determine which one it is?

Also, the calcium oxalate stone can't be dissolved, it must be removed either by cathetor or by surgery.

Here is a link that explains each stone in easy to read terms:

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/Pages/Bladder_Stones_Obstruct_Web.pdf

In general, though the most important thing is to ensure your cat is drinking lots of water and feed a high quality canned food.

Puddles has a calcium problem so I use a plastic syringe daily to give her at least 10 mls of water, she eats canned food, with a couple of teaspoons of water added. Kibble is only allowed as a treat and she is only allowed this because she is very skinny and needs to keep weight on.

sugarcatmom
February 27th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I'm in total agreement with Love4himies, a wet food diet is the way to go, and it doesn't have to be a prescription food (in fact, vet foods are just overpriced poor quality ingredients). The key to dissolving struvite stones is an acidic environment, which can be accomplished with a meat-based diet rather than the typical grain-based diet of dry foods. Wellness grain-free canned foods are good. Acidifiers can be added if necessary (along with monitoring of urine ph to make sure that you don't go too far in the other direction and cause calcium oxalate stones). You might be interested in reading this on feline nutrition: http://www.catinfo.org/

Love4himies
February 27th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I second sugarcatmom's suggestion of Wellness Grain Free canned. I changed Puddles' food to this and it made a world of difference in her.