Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for a Dog Poop Bin

GSDog
February 26th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Since summer is around the corner (wishful thinking :D) and I got my pup end of Nov 2007, I was wondering if any of you guys have or seen some kind of a bin or trash can that we can put the dog's waste (poop) in so it wont smell each time we open the bin and throw in the waste. Right now its winter and each time the dog goes for his #2 its picked up right away and in the bin it goes. But this summer with the flies and all I was wondering if there is anything on the market that you can maybe put in the garbage bag or have special bags that wont smell. I know maybe im asking too much here but ya never know with whats out there today on the market. Just I dont want to open the bin in a hot summer day and see flies, maggots and all..or I know I will freak out :wall:

cheers :pawprint:

ancientgirl
February 26th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Just an idea here. I have cats, and when I clean their litter box, I put the waste in a double seal zip lock bag. I put it in it's own little garbage bin, and when I put it in, there's no smell, since the waste is sealed in the ziploc.

MIA
February 26th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I flush it down the toilet!

happycats
February 26th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I heard the doggie dooly is amazing! it recycles dog waste.
http://www.doggiedooley.com/

happycats
February 26th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Here's another site for them......for one dog (it's cheaper)
http://radiofence.com/waste-removal/doggie_dooley.htm

rainbow
February 26th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I pick up the poop dailey with a plastic grocery bag, tie it in a knot and throw it in a regular garbage can that is lined with a regular Glad bag. We have two big dogs, it gets 35+C here in the summer and I've never had a problem except for a few flies. :shrug:

GSDog
February 26th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I dont think I will put it down the toilet. Major is already 66lbs and hes only 4 1/2monts old so i can imagine as he gets older the rest gets bigger too...:laughing: and i wouldnt walk through the house with that... if it was a small dog it would be different.

yes i do put my dog's waste in a bag no matter what but i thought there would be something even better. I will go check out the webpages. :pawprint:

MIA
February 26th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I have a 75lb Doberman! LOL It works out just fine for me, I hate baggies and smelly poop in the garbage, I know in some cities it's illegal to put it in the garbage!

GSDog
February 26th, 2008, 08:35 PM
You have a toilet outside? LOL hey now, thats a good idea...hmmmm :lightbulb::lightbulb::lightbulb:

my washroom is like in the middle of the house...so i wouldnt want da smell lingering in the house.:yuck:

I went on them webpage, seems interesting but i wonder if they do really work. will have to research it more i guess...so far bags still sounds ok...just looking for something cleaner...no sure if montreal allows poop in their garbage...well i did pay my taxes...:shrug:

Frenchy
February 26th, 2008, 08:42 PM
My vet gave me the idea last year but I didn't get around to do this ... they (at their clinic) have this 4 feeth hole in the ground where they put the poop. You have to put some kind of cleaners/chemical once a week and of course , a top on it :laughing: I will make one this year for sure. Flush down poop from 3-4 (the fourth is the sometimes foster) big dogs wouldn't be a good idea here :D

clm
February 26th, 2008, 09:14 PM
We made an outdoor doggie doo composter last year. Got a 30L plastic garbage can, dug a hole deep enough to fit it with the lid about an inch above ground. Cut the bottom off the can, made holes all around the can and then put it in the ground. You can use septic starter to help the bacteria compost it or we just put a layer of garden clippings on top every time we add doggy doo to it. The lid snaps on and no flies, no smell. I want to put a second one in this year. Ours is in one of the gardens beside the rose bed. It's sort of hidden by a shrub, but being right in the ground, you don't notice it anyway.

Cindy

pbpatti
February 26th, 2008, 09:30 PM
GSdog, thanks for the thread, I had no idea that there was a product out there to act as a doggy septic tank. I will have to investigate further myself. those of you who already have soemthing the same or similar what do you do in the winter? pbp

clm
February 26th, 2008, 09:48 PM
The composting is slower in winter, hence why I want to put in a second one of our home made knock offs. If you had it below the frost line like a real septic tank, it would work better all winter I would think, but I have no desire to put in something that big or deep.

Cindy

clm
February 26th, 2008, 09:49 PM
These things are a lot more common in the UK. But then they don't get our winters either.

Cindy

happycats
February 27th, 2008, 08:25 AM
CLM making your ow doggie dooly is a great idea, and I guess you can use the regular septic stuff (septo-bac)?

I guess if you don't want a doggie septic, you could look on line for a "diaper gene" it's a diaper system for babies, but it should work for dog doo, it is odourless becuase it wraps each doo up seperately.....it looks like sausage links when you clean it out.

clm
February 27th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Yes, the diaper genie would be like the litter locker that I have for scooping out the cat boxes. Same thing, roll of plastic inside and as you turn it wraps up the cat waste. No odor there either.
If you're not going to be using compost on anything edible, you could also just compost the dog waste in your garden composters. If using the compost on veggies though, that would be a no no. Only animal waste from herbivores should be used on veggies or fruit.

Cindy

Kashi
February 27th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I love the idea of a doggie doo septic thing in the ground. I might just pass that idea off to hubby once the ground thaws out.

Be even nicer if it would work all winter, but I'm not sure how to manage that.

Maybe upturn a large bin over the lid to keep the snow off ?

jessi76
February 27th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I have a doggy dooley in my dog's penned area. We simply don't use it in the winter though. It does work good though when the ground isn't frozen or covered in snow/ice. We just do a clean up when all the snow/ice/mud is gone & dried up. We live in a very rural area though, so we can simply toss the poo into the back woods.

Kinguni
February 27th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Right now it goes into an old Chlorine pail with a lid and we line it with a bag which gets thrown out once or twice a week. When the ground thaws I'm going to dig a doggie doo composter at the back of the yard.

GSDog
February 27th, 2008, 04:51 PM
clm, if you put clipping over your dog's waste evenually doesnt that clipping raise if you keep putting some all the time? I know when i do my composs for my garden the big bin we did is full and goes down the following year but like half way..So i was thinking evenually you would have to empty your bin right? Cause waste will go down underground but clippings each time i dont know about that. So thats why im asking if you have to empty that bin evenually.. I hope i made sense..lol

for now its winter and i put it in the outside bid along with the house garbage and take it out 2x a week.. and when i walk with him if he does have to go i pick it up with a grocery bag them plastic ones and dump it in the bin. I dont let it accumulate in the backyard cause i have a beautiful yard with flowers throughout the seasons...i just hope this dog doesnt distroy anything in my yard :pray: or else :rip: :laughing: :eek: kidding...

clm
February 27th, 2008, 09:39 PM
compost will actually totally decompose eventually. If you leave the stuff in your composter and don't remove it to put it on your garden, it will totally decompose. It's not soil. The holes in the can in the ground allow for worms to get in and eat their little hearts out as well. The stuff does disppear. Spring and summer it decomposes very quickly. It's not a huge bin that I have in the ground though, so having a second one would be perfect for me and my 2 dog situation.

Cindy

clm
February 27th, 2008, 09:42 PM
GSDog, assuming you don't have a bottom on your composter? Is it sitting on a plastic floor or on bare ground. Worms will enter it if it's sitting on bare ground and aide in the composting process.....if it's a closed unit with a floor, then if you add some worms as you find them while working out in the garden, that will help with the decomposing as well.

Cindy

GSDog
February 28th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Oh the one for my garden is on the ground. We used 4 palettes to do the square and put construction plastic around it so the leaves wont come out and the following year its nice compose for my flowers and all. But for the one for dog waste, well it will be separated. It aint going in my garden :D

also with that new food we've been giving him he doesnt go as much. We feed him puppy Orijen...he loves the stuff...mind you as he gets bigger im sure his doo-doo will get bigger too...LOL :pawprint: