-->

More February Garden...

JanM
February 26th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Sorry, I just can't help posting these :D

Viburnum, Helleborus,Witch Hazel

CearaQC
February 26th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Those are nice!! You should get some Magnolia bushes to go with those early arrivals. Maybe some crocus in the lawn? After crocus are done you can just mow them with the rest of the grass.

The Witch Hazel must do really well. That plant has a lot of uses.

I'm not familiar with Viburnum.

Keep the pics coming. I'm sick of the snow but it's still nice to see new growth happening at least somewhere in Canada. :laughing:

JanM
February 26th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Those are nice!! You should get some Magnolia bushes to go with those early arrivals. Maybe some crocus in the lawn? After crocus are done you can just mow them with the rest of the grass.

The Witch Hazel must do really well. That plant has a lot of uses.

I'm not familiar with Viburnum.

Keep the pics coming. I'm sick of the snow but it's still nice to see new growth happening at least somewhere in Canada. :laughing:

I do have crocus in the lawn! They just appeared out of nowhere! The crocus are blooming now too :D

Does anyone know how to make the "Witch Hazel" from the With Hazel bush?
I'd love to give it a try.

CearaQC
February 26th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Extraction is usually done with grain alcohol or steam distillation. No idea how to do either at home, although I suspect the alcohol tincture is the easiest method.

Found this online:

Although recent advances in equipment and technology have modified the process,the basic methods used are similar to that developed by T.N.Dickinson 134 years ago;the whole plant is chipped and chips are steamed to produce distillate,which is filtered,with alcohol added as a preservative.

Gather a few dormant winter branches, scrape off the bark, then soak in twice its weight of dilute grain (ethyl) alcohol (containing 50 percent distilled water) for about two weeks. Isopropyl or rubbing alcohol will work too, provided you clearly label the bottle "for external use only," Shake or stir the tincture once or twice daily. When ready, strain, bottle, and store in a cool dark place. Before use, I dilute this tincture with at least two parts distilled water. Undiluted, this tincture may be too harsh for sensitive skin.

http://stevenfoster.com/education/monograph/witchhazel.html

JanM
February 26th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Hmm - guess I'll stick to buying my Witch Hazel! If it was something simple, like boil the flowers, I'd give it a try...

Anyway, here are some crocus, a primrose and a close-up of the Viburnum flower