Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

12-Year Old Sheltie That Howls

cynlee
February 26th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Hi Everyone...I have a 12-year old Sheltie that won't stop howling. I'm desperate for some suggestions. I have tried the Citronella Collar which has not worked. My dog is constantly surrounded by people and will howl while sitting beside us. Last night my husband and I were up 4 times because of his howling. Any thoughts would be most appreciated, as I am becoming sleep-deprived. Thank You.

Winston
February 26th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Welcome! Maybe at 12 he needs to see a vet to rule out anything being medically wrong with him...Have you tried anything like rescue remedy? or perhaps the vet can give him something to calm him down....

When did this begin? Have you have the dog for the whole 12 yrs? if he is new to your home perhaps some seperation anxiety??

Cindy

cynlee
February 26th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Hi...He has been to the vet and the vet had no explanation. We have had him his whole life and the howling has been going on for quite a while, but has increasingly gotten worse the last year. Also, what is rescue remedy?

Thank You.

SnowDancer
February 26th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Actually I was also going to ask how long the howling has been going on, but saw your answer. However, if the howling has become much more pronounced recently, I would go back to the vet unless you can rule out environmental and/or other changes in behaviour. Just in case there is a neuro problem... - not to scare you or anything.

Winston
February 26th, 2008, 05:28 PM
here is the link to bach's

http://www.bachflower.com/

Cindy

MIA
February 26th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Have you decreased his exercise? Even old doggies need exercise! How about a good walk? My 17 year old annoys the heck out of me unless he gets his walk! LOL