Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Desperate cat owner NEEDS HELP

franmolly
February 26th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I think molly is so depressed since I left her in kennels a month ago she is at the point of giving up. She goes through phases of not eating to rapid breathing I have taken her to the vet who can not find any medical reason why

Love4himies
February 26th, 2008, 11:37 AM
How long was she in the kennel? I assume you mean that you temporarily boarded her at a kennel and now she is home.

Can the rapid breathing be described as wheezing of some sort, could your cat have asthma? This may be affecting your cat's sense of smell and if a cat can't smell it won't eat.

Has any blood work been done to see if she has an infection that she may have caught from the kennel? An Upper Resp Infection perhaps?

Kristin7
February 26th, 2008, 11:41 AM
aww, poor kitty! Have you tried cat pheromone sprays or plug-ins? I tried some spray on my parent's stressed out cat and he visibly relaxed. Feliway is one such product but there are others. You can find them at many pet stores or order online. There are also drops you can put in the cat's water, Bach flower remedies. I think there is another type too but I forget. I have never tried this nor do i know of anyone who has but there are kitty psychologists and also those who claim to be able to speak to and understand animals, or maybe something like acupuncture could work. Perhaps you could try such things, given that the vet can find nothing wrong. Or, a second opinion with another vet just in case, might be best to try first, just to make sure nothing is wrong physically. good luck!

krdahmer
February 26th, 2008, 11:41 AM
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=49764

You got some good answers there... I would especially seek the advice of another vet. Being at a kennel can be very stressful but what you have described sounds more like she is sick. She needs to have a full workup asap, bloodwork, stool samples,x-ray (in case of something ingested blocking her ability to eat) etc. And if your vet did not see fit to do any of those tests, find one that does. There are too many possibilities for us to venture guesses.

phoozles
February 27th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I agree - she needs to see another vet, and she needs to be properly diagnosed. It definitely sounds as though she is sick.

Jim Hall
February 27th, 2008, 03:13 PM
i agree also thats a sick cat not a depressed one

CyberKitten
February 27th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Make mine a third voice to what sounds like a sick kitty- not a depressed one. Get her to another vet asap is my advice and good luck!!! :grouphug:

babykitten
February 29th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I know some breeds are not good in kennel environments because of different reasons like heat ,stress away from owners, other dogs, smells . ask your vet to monitor her behavior and never put her in an kennel again talk to the kennel staff:thumbs up also to find what happen . hope ya god luck