Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hip Dysplasia...help!!!

bendyfoot
February 26th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Guys, I need to hear about people's experiences with HD...when your dog was diagnosed, had the symptoms come on gradually, or was it sudden lameness???

Jaida came up lame last night...really lame...like if she could manage it, she'd be walking on her only two good ones. Poor thing. She's at the vet's now...they think it's her hip, but they have to sedate her later for xrays. I'm praying it's just muscular, but I'm horribly paranoid about HD. Can you please share your experienes?

krdahmer
February 26th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Oh No! Poor Jaida :sad:... I don't have experience to share just wanted to send you and Jaida my :pray: and :goodvibes:.

Could it be because of the way she shifts weight to compensate for the missing front leg? If that's possible it could very well be muscular I imagine. I know that when we have an injury (or missing limb) the whole body has to carry itself differently and it can cause a lot of muscle pain... like if you have a sprained ankle, you end up with lower back pain...:shrug:

:fingerscr that's all it is! :grouphug:

Love4himies
February 26th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Oh poor Jaida, I have no experience with HD, but want to send you and jaida a :grouphug: and some :goodvibes:.

Lise
February 26th, 2008, 12:17 PM
My first shepherd Sage had severe dysplasia both sides.It was diagnosed at about nine months when we had his hips checked at the same time as neutering.He did not really show lameness more weakness in the hind.That could have been because both sides were equally bad.We had both hips operated on at eighteen months the other three months later.We did it as soon as possible to minimize the risk of arthritis at a young age.He lived to be twelve and had a great quality of life right to the end.Surgery is not the only option in mild cases just being careful about how you excercise,stairs and maintaining a good slightly lean body weight can work wonders.Good luck

Frenchy
February 26th, 2008, 12:43 PM
noooo not Jaida :sad: I wll think about you guys this afternoon and send you lots of :goodvibes:

want4rain
February 26th, 2008, 12:45 PM
oh crap, i crossing fingers, tails, fins... you name it!! i hope its just a little muscle issue and nothing more. GOOD VIBES!!!

-ash

bendyfoot
February 26th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Crap crap crap crap crap crap crap.

It's a bad sprain.

And mild hip dysplasia.

Crap.

Ford Girl
February 26th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Crap crap crap crap crap crap crap.

It's a bad sprain.

And mild hip dysplasia.

Crap.

Oh no! :sad: At least she so young and you know now...there is tones of info out there and several members who deal with this...hopefully you can find some things to do to help her age gracfully!!! :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
February 26th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Don't panic, bendyfoot. :grouphug: Hip dysplasia is very manageable--especially if it's a mild case.

Is Jaida on glucosamine/chondroitin? If not, start her on it as soon as possible. A good diet is instrumental in keeping her joints as healthy as possible, too.

Keep her weight at the low end of normal--less weight means less stress on her hips. This is especially important in a front amputee, since she's supporting more weight with her hindquarters.

Moderate her exercise. Swimming is great! Free exercise in moderation is great! If you take her for long walks, split them into smaller, more frequent walks. Muscle tone is one of your best tools in managing dysplasia--toned muscles help keep the joint tighter and help minimize arthritic changes.

Your vet should be able to get you an NSAID that will help if she's overdone it and is sore--it will help with inflammation, too. Some vets will put the dog on NSAIDs every day, but we've found that our dogs don't tolerate it well every day, so we only use it when necessary.

She's quite young yet, and if you start to manage it early, you can prevent a lot of damage!

Even if it gets very severe later, if you start saving now, there is surgery that can work wonders. Pricey, though. In the 1990s, we replaced both of our Springer Spaniel's hips to the tune of about $2200 US apiece. But it was so worth it! She was 5 at the time and lived another 10 years with little to no pain. :thumbs up

So there are a lot of options, especially since you caught it early. :grouphug:

krdahmer
February 26th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Aw poor Jaida... well I hope her sprain heals quickly and that all that great advice from Hazel there, keeps the HD at bay as long as possible! :goodvibes: :grouphug:

bendyfoot
February 26th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks HRP,
I was a little panickey when I posted earlier...I hadn't spoken with the vet myself and only heard "hip dysplasia" from DW, and didn't know the prognosis. Apparently, while the hip is technically dysplastic, there's no sign of arthritis in the joint, so she's not "clinically" dysplastic yet. The vet doesn't think her current lameness is due to the hip joint, only the sprain/tear. She's given us NSAIDS for the next week or so, and we're getting her on Glu/Chon this week. Fortunately, she's not big on the whole eating/food thing and we have a terrible time keeping any weight on her...she's nice and lean and since we switched her to Orijen, she's all muscle. I'm really hoping to get her out swimming this summer a lot, and we always limit our walks to grassy areas, no concrete (for lower impact). The vet doens't think the condition warrants any invasive intervention at this time. Hopefully we can ride this out for a few years without her getting sore. We really did fully expect to have long term issues with her joints, just didn't think they'd appear this soon, or in the back legs before the front one.
I just hope the pain meds start to help, she was so restless and uncomfortable last night, no one got any sleep. She's pretty heavy to lug up and down stairs too, my back's not going to hold out too much longer. I tried slinging her lower half with a blanket this morning, and she's pretty receptive to that, but can't manage getting up the stairs on her own.

Lukka'sma
February 26th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Poor Jaida
Lukka has mild HD and we just take it slow when we hike. She has glucosamine/chondroitin.
I hope Jaida feels better soon:)

hazelrunpack
February 26th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Not all dysplastic dogs get symptomatic, either. Some of them don't show any signs at all their whole lives. We'll just :fingerscr that Jaida is one of those. Definitely keep her muscles toned--if there's no arthritis yet, good muscle tone will keep those joints nice and tight! :thumbs up

happycats
February 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Awwww poor Jaida:sad: She has already been through so much, I can't believe she can't get a break. I bet she still "smiles" all the way through this, her heart and zest for life must be an inspiration.

Wishing Jaida a speedy recovery!:goodvibes::fingerscr:pray:
And hugs and doggie kisses!!:grouphug::dog:

bendyfoot
February 26th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Not all dysplastic dogs get symptomatic, either. Some of them don't show any signs at all their whole lives. We'll just :fingerscr that Jaida is one of those. Definitely keep her muscles toned--if there's no arthritis yet, good muscle tone will keep those joints nice and tight! :thumbs up

Well, that's good news and more reassuring...I'll :fingerscr for that...maybe my toes too!

JanM
February 26th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I do hope Jaida mends well and soon! :pray: for both of you!

chico2
February 26th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Oh,poor Jaida,poor you:sad:you've had enough to deal with:pray:she will be ok,poor pretty,brave Jaida:fingerscr

rainbow
February 26th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Awww...poor Jaida :sad: ....she already has enought to deal with. :grouphug:

Definitely put her on glucosamine/chondriotin supplements ...... I would also ask your vet about giving her Cartrophen injections. :thumbs up

bendyfoot
February 27th, 2008, 09:34 AM
She's feeling a lot better today, thanks to the meds I imagine. She's able to walk better. She was able to sleep last night too. I've blocked off all the stairs in the house so she has to stay on one level and put lots of soft beds down. Hopefully Gracie leaves her alone and doesn't try to roughhouse...but it seems that she knows Jaida's hurt, she's been very quiet and calm around her.

Frenchy
February 27th, 2008, 12:49 PM
...but it seems that she knows Jaida's hurt, she's been very quiet and calm around her.

I'm sure she knows something is going on with her friend. :dog:

Good luck Jaida :goodvibes:

clm
February 27th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I hope she gets better really soon. Good idea keeping her on the one level.
Our first dog developed serious knee problems later in life. Had to stop him from doing the stairs too. I had to sleep on the couch for a few years so he wouldn't feel lonely at night by himself on the main floor. :laughing:

Cindy

growler~GateKeeper
February 28th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I can't remember if you have been to one already for her amputation rehab so please excuse my question if you already have :o

Is there a trained Animal Physical Therapist in your area? :rip: Cally was seeing one for arthritis in the hips & spine - the strengthening exercises really helped his hips along with daily hip massages & laser therapy every couple of weeks as well as the Cartrophen Vet (http://www.arthritis.au.com/DMOAD.2006.FINAL.pdf) injections

:fingerscr :goodvibes: for sweet Jaida :lovestruck: