Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rescue Support Ideas

bethaliz
February 26th, 2008, 07:55 AM
One of the National breed Clubs that I am a member of has been supporting a US breed rescue for the last six years. We have been giving annual donations from our clubs funds, which is great. However we have had a change in board members and it has come to light that the previous board was giving more money than the club has. In short our club would fold in two more years of donations, which doesn't help anyone.

So we have been brain storming and have decided to form a rescue committee. We have found a Canadian rescue who rescues from all over Canada that we would like to support. Now we need money. So we are thinking of ways to raise funds. One suggestion has been to levy those members of our club who breed. The suggestion is for every one puppy a breeder breeds, we suggest they donate a min of $10 to the breed rescue. We feel that this is one way responsible breeders can take ownership for the dogs they breed. $10 is not a lot of money out of the cost of the sale of a pup, but it amounts to a lot of money when you look at it on a national level.

Also our club sells a breed calender every year to raise funds for the club. We need to get on the ball and sell more, but we also thought that it would be a good idea for a portion of the profits come to resuce as well. This would help sales as well as more people will be will to buy one if they know the funds will help support resuce.

What do you think about our ideas? Do you have any ideas as to how we can raise funds to support the rescues?

badger
February 26th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I think both of those are great ideas but will you be able to sell the breeders on it?
Will you be advertising online and doing mail order?
I've been to a few adoption events with rescue groups from the Montreal area and people seemed very generous with donation money (but rarely took a cat :sad:). I think a well-designed calendar costing less than 10$ would do very well. Just look at the exploding pet 'business'; people are spending a fortune on their animals. Without taking away from the breeds you are promoting, you could do some serious education about rescue.

deb12
February 26th, 2008, 09:13 AM
What wonderful ideas, I think in the breeders scenario, if your rescue has a website, than you can post the reputable breeders name and website address, phone number, you know contact info, on a page that can tell people the whole $10 a puppy thing.

Have you tried walk-a-thons, if can also do on a lesser scale is talk to some of the pet stores that sell the "homebake" cookies for pups and see if you can contact those companies or doggy barkers if they can count a little out of the sale of the cookies, that can add advertising as well to it. Especially seeming those cookies are sold on the front counter (usually). I would do it, I use to own the Wag N' Tails Barkery :dog: in Brampton.

Good Luck, I hope these ideas have helped.

Deb

LavenderRott
February 26th, 2008, 09:13 AM
How about a HUGE picnic!

Invite everyone that belongs to the club to bring their doggies and raise money for rescue. You can do things like silent auctions, raffles and put large jars all over the place for "pocket change". Make sure your rescue group is represented with some of the newer rescues.

I know that a couple of U.S. Rottweiler Rescue groups have things listed on E-Bay from time to time. Usually quilts, stained glass items, etched glass items - things along that line that are made and donated by supporters. (This has also been done by the Rottweiler Club of Canada to help raise money to fight BSL.)

deb12
February 26th, 2008, 09:20 AM
How about a HUGE picnic!

Invite everyone that belongs to the club to bring their doggies and raise money for rescue. You can do things like silent auctions, raffles and put large jars all over the place for "pocket change". Make sure your rescue group is represented with some of the newer rescues.

Oh and LavendarRott, you can also do things like....in a large jar put a certain number of biscuits in and have people guess the number for a certain fee, like $1.00 goes to the rescue on each guess and they can win the cookies.

Plus some kids games for the cause too at the picnic. Wahoo, when do we go?

Deb

aslan
February 27th, 2008, 06:50 AM
My sister is an events co-ordinator and says most of your idea's are excellent. The silent auction is one of the best. Go to company's around you and explain the cause and ask for a dontation. Dinner certificates, movie tickets, etc. If you have members who do home reno's ask for so many hrs work as a donation. Lol I get hit for a free paint job every year, worth it tho. Keep up the good work.

bethaliz
February 27th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Some of the idea's are difficult to implement. We are a national club with members all over Canada and even some in the USA. While we maybe able to hold an auction during our Annual speicality, it is difficult to do one outside of this. I suppose one could be held locally in s few different areas, but there is typically only one or two members in any close proimiaty, which makes orginizing and help a nightmare.

We were thinking, depending on the costs involved, that perhaps we could have a booth at shows we go to local. It wouls give us a chance to promot our breed and educated the public (especially about designer breeds, which are a huge challange right now). We we're thinking maybe we could sell items to raise funds and accept donations for our rescue. Although what we would sell is tricky.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the great feed back so far

deb12
February 27th, 2008, 10:50 AM
What is the breed? Where are you located, there is the All about pets show here in Toronto (GTA) on Easter weekend, plus my Dad owns a Ryans Pet foods in Burlington, he loves the animals so much.

If you even do something small in some local areas, I am sure a lot of people do care, they may not have animals in their homes now, but I am sure they do have hearts.

bethaliz
February 27th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I myself am from the Niagara Region. The resuce we are trying to support is in Kingston. They will take in small breeds from all over Canada. We felt that this was a great way to help the dog in our own country.

We thought about and looked into the Toronto pet Expo, but it costs over $1000 for the smallest booth. Our club really can't afford to put that kind of money out right now. There is a Pet expo in Niagara in July that only costs $140 for a both that we are planning on attending.

We sent out letters to local pet business as well for support in placing advertisements in some of our publications to help raise funds but we didn't get a single response. We sent out a ton of letters, it was a real let down.

I appreciate all the responses ..... It's definately been helpful

deb12
February 27th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I am sorry Bethaliz,

I know it is really hard, especially when your love for dogs is so strong, as I have said before I am a volunteer myself in our local Humane Society and I know how hard it is to get anything for the animals...:cat::dog:

It's not their fault, they were born into this world not knowing of the cold hearts some humans have, except for you and all the rest of these wonderful people on this forum.....:grouphug:

All I can say to you is Good luck, need help (I'm here), and thank you....:thumbs up

jessi76
February 27th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Although what we would sell is tricky.

Any suggestions?

no-sew fleece blankets? in various crate/kennel sizes? fleece material is relatively cheap, and since they are no-sew blankets, they go together rather fast. I bought one for my dog at a pet-event to help raise money. he uses it in his crate and when we travel - and I like that it's a NICE warm blanket that I can take anywhere. fleece washes well too. I think I bought mine for around $10-$15.

Other things I've bought from rescue booths at events are durable toys, cute wooden hand made signs "spoiled cats live here" type things for my home, dog/cat placemats, hand painted ceramic bowls, magnets, fleece blankets, fleece dog coats, a treat jar, etc...

kiara
March 25th, 2008, 05:05 PM
In Quebec we don't get any gov't help. Rescues have to come up with fundraisers on their own. I am very disappointed with our suburban shopping centres, whose parking lots are empty three seasons out of the year. They don't want adoption clinics outside, because if somenoe gets bitten!! They need insurance. We can't afford it!! So tried to do a fundraiser inside. Not much work, just two or three ladies, quick money, right??? WRONG !!! Sorry we don't support animal rescues, only people's. What a bummer. I think shopping centres are too invovled in MAKING BIG MONEY !!! Poor cats and dogs. Just imagine how much money we could collect on a Saturday or Sunday with all those shoppers and many of them huge animal lovers???