Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Growth Inside of Berner's Mouth

luckypenny
February 26th, 2008, 08:17 AM
My SIL's 1 1/2 year old Berner has had a growth inside of her mouth (above one of her canines) since she was 6 months old. In the past month or so, it's begun to grow quite rapidly, is the size and shape of about 3 raisins (:o sorry, don't know how else to describe it). It's the same color as her gums but somewhat more pale. Her regular vet thinks it may be some sort of cancer. He wanted to charge 600$ for a biopsy so my SIL asked if I can take her to another vet for a 2nd opinion. I will be taking Phoenix in to our's later this morning. I was just wondering if anyone else ever experienced something like this and how did it turn out??

luckypenny
February 26th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I just got back from the vet's. He said it looked like a tumor. I left Phoenix there as they will do a blood panel, remove the growth, and do a biopsy this afternoon. :fingerscr it's not something serious.

Frenchy
February 26th, 2008, 12:40 PM
remove the growth, and do a biopsy this afternoon. :fingerscr it's not something serious.

They can take it out ?! wooohoo ! :thumbs up

luckypenny
February 26th, 2008, 12:49 PM
They'll try to remove it all today. The vet said it's something he normally sees on elderly dogs, not a youngin like Phoenix. But the fact that all the surrounding tissue looks healthy may be a good sign.

loopoo
February 26th, 2008, 02:25 PM
prayers are with you and your dogger...:fingerscr that its just nothing serious

rainbow
February 26th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I hope it is nothing serious. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
February 26th, 2008, 02:40 PM
:grouphug: I hope they can get it all! Is this a type of tumor that might come back or does the vet think if they get it all, that will be the last of it? :fingerscr

We've got a lot of :fingerscr and crossed :pawprint:s here, hoping for a good prognosis!

Ford Girl
February 26th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Keep us posted!! :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

shredy
February 26th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Just wanted to send you good wishes. My experience with oral tumors was not a good one. Shade had an oral malignant melanoma, but I was told prior to the removal of the tumor that most oral tumors are benign, :fingerscr:fingerscr that her's isn't serious. I won't get into too many details because I don't have much good news. I am glad it is getting removed. $600 isn't unreasonable to have it removed and have it analyzed, that's less than what I spent.
:goodvibes::goodvibes: and :grouphug::grouphug:

luckypenny
February 26th, 2008, 09:30 PM
They decided to keep her in for the night because of some excessive bleeding. The bill came up to 460$ taxes included for the exact same procedure. I guess it pays to look around :shrug: .

I'm going to get her tomorrow morning. The biopsy will be done by another lab. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for the results.

shredy
February 26th, 2008, 09:31 PM
What did they say about the tumor? Was it into the surrounding tissues, or just growing on the surface?

luckypenny
February 26th, 2008, 09:38 PM
It wasn't in the surrounding tissues. I wish I would have thought to take a picture of it. It looked a lot like Autumn's growth here http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=49880 but longer rather than round. A lighter pink than her gums with a dark red splotch at the tip of it.

Frenchy
February 26th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I'm so glad they were able to take it out. Even if it is cancer , doesn't mean it will come back. :goodvibes::fingerscr:pray:

luckypenny
February 26th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Is this a type of tumor that might come back or does the vet think if they get it all, that will be the last of it? :fingerscr

Sorry HRP, I didn'tsee your post until now :o . Before the surgery, the vet said it could be that kind of tumor. I didn't get a chance to speak with him after the surgery but will see him tomorrow and will get more info then.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone, I passed them on to my sister-in-law.

growler~GateKeeper
February 27th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Wanted to add in my :goodvibes: :goodvibes: tough spot to have a growth :fingerscr it's non-cancerous & they got it all

luckypenny
February 27th, 2008, 03:41 PM
"Auntie LP, take me home pleeease."

Introducing silly-girl Phoenix :lovestruck: . I took this pic after picking her up at the vet's. Biopsy's been sent to a lab and we should get the results within a week or so. In the meantime, she continues to get spoiled rotten :cloud9: .

Rottielover
February 27th, 2008, 03:51 PM
awwwww, what a pretty girl, hope all come back fine

hazelrunpack
February 27th, 2008, 05:19 PM
She is a pretty girl! :lovestruck: She sure does look happy to be outta there! :D

:fingerscr and :goodvibes: for the biopsy report!

rainbow
February 27th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Phoenix is beautiful. :lovestruck: Sending lots of good luck for the biopsy results. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

shredy
February 28th, 2008, 12:16 AM
WHAT A CUTIE!!! I really hope :fingerscr:fingerscr:goodvibes::goodvibes: that you get good news. Please keep us posted, I am thinking about Phoenix until then, sending lots of :grouphug: and :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
February 28th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Very purrty Phoenix :lovestruck: :goodvibes: :fingerscr for good results