Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

rabbit training

06canyon
February 25th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I tried searching for rabbit litter training and couldn't find any answers. How do I litter train a 1 year old rabbit. I've got no problems with the little presents that sweep up nicely but the pee? He's got a large pen in the kitchen to run around in. I leave his cage bottom in the pen for him to use.

Lukka'sma
February 25th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I don't really recall any training in particular for my rabbit. I just filled a litter box with litter, (never use the clumping kind) and he just started using it to pee in.
Sorry that doesn't help much does it.

cpietra16
February 25th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I am fosteringa rabbit and just learned that if I put some hay in the litter ( yesterdays news) he would use it. I Also kept puttin ghis poops on the box eventually he just started using the litter box. Good luck. I hope it works for you.

CyberKitten
February 25th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I followed most of these steps- and really used many of the same techniques as I did for kitties- and had no problems whatsoever. Rabbits make wonderful pets and are in a way very much like cats and love a clean place to do their thing as well as a clean place to sleep and spend their time and play and be with you.

Here is the Rabbit Society's suggestions:

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/litter.html

Do NOT use clumping litter -same rules as for kittens apply to rabbits and maybe even more because they will eat their litter. Stay away from pine shavings since it can cause liver failure. Paper litter is great and I used to use yesterday's News - combined with hay and a little alfalfa. Later, I switched to Carefresh and kept the paper Yesterday's news for the cats.

To encourage your bunny, clean the litter box every day and I use the same rule as for cats - one box per bunny plus one which in my case meant two. One upstairs and one down so he always had a place to go.

My bunny had a hutch like affair- sort of like a cat tent he slept in that had some of his toys and some alfalfa and water and some paper to chew (It's good for their teeth- rabbits need to chew and if you do not provide them with chewable material, they'll find their own in your home and you may not like the result).He had what we called his lazy boy - a basket that he would sit or lay in and at night, he'd jump into his bed or sometimes sleep on mine (and yes, there were a couple occasions as a baby that he urinated in bed but he quickly realized he slept there and he did not like that thought or the change it brought with all the hubub of washing sheets in the middle if the night so he stopped that very quickly actually.) Sometimes, we'd play a game and he would want me to catch him so I'd carry him to bed- my bed- he liked to snuggle but not in the same way as a kitty. He would sleep on top of the covers, especially on a fleece blanket and stretch out. He was able- even at the geriatric age of 14 to jump into bed after going to his litter box tho I had a little place for him to walk up because he was developing arthritis (He was close to being the oldest rabbit in the country at that point). At 14, a rabbit is God knows how old but past 95 is not inaccurate.

All bunnies like all animals- are different - and yours may take some time to figure it all out. As long as he gets treats and associates good things with urinating in his litter box, he should do well. Fortunately, bunny "buttons' Are not unobjectionable and can easily be managed.

Good luck! And congrats on getting a bunny as a pet - yu will love him, I assure you!

want4rain
February 25th, 2008, 10:42 PM
http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk_intro.html

this site really helped a friend of mine to lay out the foundation of understanding his rabbit and thus working at training her to do all kinds of cute bunny things. i hope some of this helps!!

-ashley

06canyon
February 25th, 2008, 11:06 PM
thank you everyone. I already use yesterday's news. I didn't know about the woodchips, I just don't like finding them everywhere.

06canyon
March 5th, 2008, 04:55 PM
thanks everybody. he's doing much better.

want4rain
March 5th, 2008, 11:27 PM
*snort* you come back here... give an update AND POST NO PICTURES?!?!?! dont you know they write kids books about bunnies as cute as yours?!?! are you trying to destroy us here?!?! :yell: we NEED NEED cute bunny pictures!!!!!

-ashley