Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A cautionary tale

badger
February 25th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Sometime on Friday, Teddy (newby) stopped eating. He had also vomited a few times and on Saturday morning it was just bile. NO other symptoms.

So I took him into the vet and one of the first things I said was that I preferred going straight to a blood panel than trying two or three different meds with no effect. This is the equivalent of handing the vet your wallet.
He had a tiny fever; it was only later that I figured out that this was probably because he sleeps on a heating pad.

So they tested him for FIV, leukemia, chemistry, etc. Nothing. By that time I had completely lost it and agreed to yet another test - requiring more blood to be drawn; poor Teddy now has a 'bib' of shaved skin, so attractive - on his red and white globules (?), with results expected on Wednesday. I'm sure now that it will show nothing.

He was prescribed an appetite booster (Cipro) and when I brought him back, before even giving him the pill, he began to eat, ravenously.

How's that for a 360$ walk around the block? :wall::wall::wall:

Now, a truly excellent vet would not have responded to me - and this is a person I have met with many times - but rather to the cat's condition, which was perfectly normal. A truly excellent vet would have told me to take him home and wait.

Live and learn.

krdahmer
February 25th, 2008, 09:08 AM
:sorry: That stinks... but when it comes to them not eating I guess better safe than sorry right? :goodvibes: Hope that was all he needed and that he continues to eat well!

JanM
February 25th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Thank goodness all is well! You can't fault yourself for doing what you thought was right.

Jim Hall
February 25th, 2008, 09:35 AM
hey at least yu got a blood panel and gamma test done but its not normal for a cat to throw up especially a house cat

next tiime take her for a ride and come back maybe she just wanted a trip

badger
February 25th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I just wish there were more truly excellent vets around. I would never tell someone not to see a vet, just don't check your brains at the door :laughing:.

SARAH
February 25th, 2008, 10:13 AM
The trouble is, even with a house cat, we never know exactly what they get into - or what gets into them!

Oh well, at least he's safe and eating again, and you're out 6-8 tanks of gaz - depending on your car :eek:

Kristin7
February 25th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Yikes, sorry to hear. But glad he's eating again. Vomiting by a cat wouldn't alarm me at all (is it really that unusual, mine do it all the time?), but the not eating can get out of hand. Isn't Cipro an antibiotic? Or maybe it is something else but similar name...

14+kitties
February 25th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Aww badger. Poor you! http://bestsmileys.com/money/4.gifLucky Teddy to have you care! :lovestruck: I am sure though he probably hated having the bloodwork done he appreciated the fact that you care enough to do it.
:fingerscr everything comes back fine.

Frenchy
February 25th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I'm so sorry Badger :sad: I know you put every penny on all your rescues , I can't believe this vet didn't give you a break :wall:

sugarcatmom
February 25th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Isn't Cipro an antibiotic? Or maybe it is something else but similar name...

Ciproflaxacin is an antibiotic, what badger is talking about is Cyproheptadine, a human anti-histamine (aka Periactin) that has the interesting side effect in cats of increasing their appetite.