Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lot's of Questions!!!!!

rosebury29
February 25th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I need help and advice to help me raise our new pup. He is a 12 week doberman male.

1) He peed in his crate last night so not sure what to do now. How should I housebreak him and how long does it normally take?

2) He chews A LOT, everything!! Our older dog never did this. Should I stop him EVERY time with everything except his toys or just stop him if it's something I don't want destroyed? How should I handle this?

3) He whimpers/whines on/off. We've only had him 2 days. Do you think he just misses him mother?

4) Is he old enough to learn basics like sit, stay, etc.?
Thanks!

Longblades
February 25th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Sounds like you are in the same boat as us. Our Lab puppy is the complete opposite of our first girl. We are having to learn to train all over again.

You have a lot of questions and I'm not going to answer any. Instead I suggest you get a really good book on puppy training and read it thoroughly. I have the Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilcox book "Good Owners, Great Dogs". It will address all your questions and a lot more you haven't even thought of yet. I learned a lot from this book.

One question I will answer, changed my mind. It is physically impossible for a puppy to control himself till about six months of age, maybe longer. Please don't expect this of him too soon. That said, our boy is now four and a half months and is pretty reliable in the house as long as we remain diligent about watching for the signs. Last night was his first without a midnight foray out into the deep snowy backyard. Hurray.

14+kitties
February 25th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I need help and advice to help me raise our new pup. He is a 12 week doberman male.
Congrats on new puppy!
1) He peed in his crate last night so not sure what to do now. How should I housebreak him and how long does it normally take?
How big is the crate? It should be big enough for him to stand, turn around, and lie down comfortably. Anything bigger gives him the opportunity to go find a corner to do the deed and then go to another clean corner to sleep. There are dividers for crates you can get to divide it when he is small and remove when he gets bigger.

2) He chews A LOT, everything!! Our older dog never did this. Should I stop him EVERY time with everything except his toys or just stop him if it's something I don't want destroyed? How should I handle this?
Yes, stop him from chewing things you don't want him to. A firm No will work if done consistently. You could give him a chewbone after you have moved him away from whatever he had been chewing.

3) He whimpers/whines on/off. We've only had him 2 days. Do you think he just misses him mother?
Yes. A warm hot water bottle and a ticking alarm clock(one of the old fashioned ones) will comfort him. If you have only had him for 2 days it is very normal.

Thanks!
Never to young to learn. Just be patient.

Ford Girl
February 26th, 2008, 03:10 PM

Pictures please!! I agree, read read and read some more...

I found the Puppies for Dummies a great book, and I think their might even be Dobies for Dummies??

I would pull his water at 8 or 9 at night, and make sure you can hear him in the night, at this age, it's all on you to make sure he succeeds, if he makes a mess, it's your fault. They can only hold it so long, and if they have big drinks between meals there is no kibble in there to absorb it. Make a routine of taking him outside...right after nap, right away in the am, right before bed, right after play time...you need to pay attention to him at this stage, and if you can't, then you need to pen him or secure him somehow.

LOL!!! Yes, everytime, all the time, be consistant. They don't retionalize to say...hey, she lets me chew this old sock, but not these ones? Get him some toys to chew on...safe toys and chew treats, occupy his mind, good exercise stops chewing too. He needs to chew, you need to give him something appropriate to chew on. I found ice cubes good for tiny puppy age, and super cheap too!! :laughing:

Yes, he's just communicating with you. It will get better once he realizes you are his new pack. Exercise, chew toys, interaction and direction will all help this.

I would start right now with the ground rules of the home, where he can and can't be, basic rules you want to establish now when he's small...like on or off the beds and couches, work on nipping, appropriate play...and with all of these comes the sit, wait, down, etc...int he books i mentioned above it tells you how to teach the basics. he's lookign to you and your family, and your other dog for direction. So ensure what you expect for one, you expect with the other...keeping in mind the age difference of course, your expectation should be the same, but it may take longer for your pup to understand what you expect of him, he will look to your other dog for direction, they learn alot from each other.

Thanks!

Good luck, and keep us posted. :grouphug:

GSDog
February 26th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I had dobermans for years and yes start training it now. You will need a lot of patience but they are the best dogs to have. Like i said often, dont give them an inch or they take a foot. Keep firm with your commands. And you will see in a month only your dobe will have already master a few commands. They are extremely smart and fast learners.

For the chewing and I always did that and trust me to this day not one dog had chewed anything that we own. We give them a real bone, raw with the marrow. We would leave all day and came back all ok. I dont boil them never did BUT make sure it is NOT the joint parts. That is no good cause your dog will go for #2 dry, kind of white and breakable stools...You can also freeze them which is good if your dog is teething :thumbs up...Some put lemon juice on the wood so the dog doesnt chew but i never had to do this.