Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

rehoming - wow it looks like scary stuff

Sandra Rose
February 24th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I do hope I'm not posting incorrectly - I'm new here and just finding my way around - DO correct me please if I am in error.

We have two 10-12 month old open males that are scheduled to be neutered this coming week (too long a story why it took so long... they came to us as strays... not acceptable of course... and now we have created this problem - don't let this be you!) who are now scrapping the devil out of each other.

We have come to the conclusion after speaking with several handlers, trainers, and a vet, that they will continue this behavior after their neutering. So we feel completely crushed that we must find a home for ONE of them.

Reading through many many posts here, I am seeing an aweful lot of really scary stories and horrible horrible situations that these poor animals can fall victim to.

Even so I'm glad I found this place - I'm still trying to find contact info for fostering situations.

The boys are having to live separated in the house, and take turns with outside time. We have two girls as well, spayed at 6 months and now 3 years old who get along super with both of them. The contrast of behavior is so shocking...

Frenchy
February 24th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Your best bet would be contacting a rescue and explain the situation. One of them may be able to take one of them into foster home and rehome him.

Sandra Rose
February 24th, 2008, 04:02 PM
And I'm reading so many 'horror' stories of fakes, and bunchers, and torturers... I have collected some telephone numbers of rescue groups, but not any in BC Canada where I am. Of course I'll hit our vet up for suggestions this coming week on thier 'nard knocking day'.

The poor guys feel so out of sorts being prevented from free run of the house - I suppose its nothing compared to giving one up when I find the 'right' place - oh gosh I'm just in tears, its such a heartbreak for us...

Thanks for your reply

sugarcatmom
February 24th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I'd wait to see how they do after neutering (like at least a couple months, if possible), before doing anything drastic. At the same time maybe you could try some calming pheromones like Feliway (http://www.feliway.uk.com/feliway_uk.nsf/Page?OpenForm).

Sandra Rose
February 24th, 2008, 04:08 PM
but it might help ME! I could use some calming pheremones for sure :-)

want4rain
February 24th, 2008, 04:51 PM
im also on the vote for giving them time after being neutered. we had Mister snipped late and still noticed a huge difference in behavior afterwards in training and also in his relation to us. its been a few months and we are still seeing changes.

there is also rescue remedy that is not just for your pets but also for you. :D

-ashley

Love4himies
February 24th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I am sorry, I can't offer any advice, but I do hope neutering will help them. Here are some :goodvibes: for you.

katie&thecrew
February 24th, 2008, 11:30 PM
The pheromone for dogs is called D.A.P. and can be purchased through your vet. It's not cheap though, so if you're serious about keeping both dogs, it is an investment to try.

If you are convinced you must rehome one, go to petfinder.com and search for rescues by area. Are they breed specific dogs?

Sandra Rose
February 25th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Though they do present a lot of border collie in appearance and manner. There are many many many roaming border collies around here. We think the other bits are either rottie or rottie and lab, but we are guessing.

Is there some appropriate forum here to post a pic of them?

D.A.P eh? I'll be asking my vet about that. I do have a forutunate situation in that my daughter is 'inlaws' with a lovely vet in the states. She might be able to source some for us at a more reasonable rate. hmmm... Thank you! That could be a very valuable bit of information there!

sugarcatmom
February 25th, 2008, 07:47 AM
:-) the boys are dogs (-:

Oops. Well, same principle applies to D.A.P. Comfort Zone (uses a pheromone that mimics mother's milk). Not sure how far away you are from a PetSmart, but you can get it there, usually for much cheaper than the vet. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755194&cp=&sr=1&origkw=comfort+zone&kw=comfort+zone&parentPage=search&keepsr=1

chico2
February 25th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Pet Value also sell it(for dogs/cats) under the name"Nutri-Vet"and is the cheapest,I believe.
However I found it does not work as well as Feli-Way,for my cats.
I hope you find a solution:fingerscr

bethaliz
February 26th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I'd definately give it a little while until after they are neutered. We had two males one neutered one not. They used to get into huge fights. My aunt got bit a couple of times. The city even came out to the house and told us something had to be done. So we eventually gave up the younger neutered dog to another family member. He still comes to visit and is over quite often, but they would still fight. The older dog finally got neutered. Now we can have the two dogs together without problems. If a female in season walks by the older dog will still get snappy. But that's not often. Now we've had the yonger dog stay for almost a month at the house and he still comes over all the time and the two of them sleep together now and play.

Males are so much nicer and easier when they are neutered. So from our exerience, if the two boys are getting fixed in the near future I'd recommend waiting it out for a few months and see how it goes. Maybe hire a professional to help them become better socialized and mannerly with each other. but it would be a real shame to fix them and give one away if a few months and a bit of help will keep everyone together.

Regardless I wish you all the best with the difficult choice you are facing.

Sandra Rose
February 27th, 2008, 10:48 PM
and the vet's office was pretty encouraging about a 'significant change' in their behavior. They said it will take two to three weeks for their hormones to be cleared out of their system.

Poor Buster is just a melted puddle, he can hardly walk, and he's been dosing in the same position since half hour after getting home.

Chance, however, really wishes would relent and let him out in the yard with the girls.

The girls (Punky and Sally - 3 years old and spayed at 6 months) don't understand why Buster won't talk to them, and why we keep making Chance sit instead of letting him romp?

... so far so good. Three weeks - I'm keeping my fingers tightly crossed :-)

rainbow
February 28th, 2008, 05:02 AM
I am presuming they are littermates. If so, I would think there is a good chance of them becoming compatible. Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Is there some appropriate forum here to post a pic of them?

There's a Pet Photo Forum here....looking forward to the pics. :thumbs up

kiara
March 25th, 2008, 05:17 PM
It is so good of you to take on two strays. This happends sometimes that pets don't get along and one of them has to be rehomed. Being, that one is passive and the other aggressive. You don't want them beating up on each other all the time. Sorry that this is happening to you, but there are many good rescue groups out there, so there is no need to worry. Also the potential adoptors are screened. Your dog will find a good home and will be happy. Let us know what you decided to do. Good luck.

danaekitty
March 26th, 2008, 09:49 AM
It's been a few weeks since the nard-knocking...any update? How are the boys reacting to each other?

Hollygirl
March 26th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I hope that everything turned out great and you were able to keep both boys. However, if you think you are still in need of a rescue in BC let me know. I live in BC and know of several very good ones.

ancientgirl
April 8th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I don't know if you agree with his methods or not, but I recently saw an episode of Dog Whisperer in which there was a couple who had to live in separate homes because their dogs just did not get along. With a little training and some changing of the owners ways as well as introducing the dogs in different ways, they all now live in the same home.

I don't have dogs, but I do like to watch shows about training and things of that nature, and maybe someday may get a dog myself. At the very least it can't hurt to give his site a read. There might be something helpful to you there.