Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New and in dire need of advice!

MillieMI
February 23rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Hello all! I got my sister (who lives with me) a dog for Christmas. We adopted him from the animal shelter and it sounded like he was abandoned and was pretty traumatized for about 2 weeks, wouldn't bark, the first 3 days had uncontrolable watery bms probably 8-10 times a day (the vet checked him out, the tests were negative, she chalked it up to stress/trauma). Well we've trained him to go outdoors probably 90% of the time, but if we both leave, even for 10 minutes he has atleast one formed bm on the carpet. He also urinates on the carpet and if he's crated he will urinate in there too. Tonight he thought we had both left but I was in my bedroom with the door closed for about 5 minutes after my sister left to go out to dinner. When I came out to the livingroom, he was squatting and making a bm on the carpet (again). I am at the end of my rope. He's a sweet dog and I don't want to get rid of him, but I can not continue to live in a house that reeks and is full of fecal germs. It never fails-if he's left to his own devices outside the kennel he will have a bm and sometimes urinate on the carpet, and if crated he urinates in there. He's a German Wirehair Pointer and is almost a year old. (just incase that helps) Also he seems to know when he's done something wrong, because he hides (we've never hit him) and if left for anymore than 10 or 20 minutes he will get up on the cupboards and drag down anything that appears edible. I feel like I'm being held hostage by this dog, and in a house that is so nasty to boot! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!:yell:

Rottielover
February 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Has this dog recently seen a vet, I mean bring in a stool sample.
This is a very high energy breed. Ever heard the saying a tired dog is a good dog. Well I suggest one of you start working this dog, exercise him...Tire him out. Mental stimili can tire a dog out as well, just not as well is good exercise.
10 mins walks with this breed will not cut it, they are a sporting breed.
He sounds like he has seperation anxiety.

Start back at ground zero.. First exercise the heck out of him, use the crate as a positive thing. Place toys in there, food in there. Anything that will make him feel comfortable.
It will take some time, but it can work.

sugarcatmom
February 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM
Awww, poor pup, sounds like perhaps he has a bit of separation anxiety. This may subside if he starts to realize that he isn't going to be abandoned again (please don't get rid of him - that could be quite tragic for him). My suggestion is to invest in some good chew-toys that you can fill with treats, like Kongs and Squirrel Buddies. Put something super yummy in them that he only gets when you guys leave. This should distract him enough for a little while to possibly get him over the stress of being alone. Here's some more info for you: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/separation-anxiety
http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/errorless-chewtoy-training

MillieMI
February 23rd, 2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks. I'm sure he could use more exercise than he gets. I don't know if he's ever going to accept the crate-he busted the door off one time, and after it was reinforced, he's taken to pulling the metal bars on the door apart with his teeth. It's a good quality crate, my stepmom gave it to me and she's been grooming dogs for over 20 years so she only gets quality stuff. I wouldn't put him in the crate if he didn't trash the house! As to seperation anxiety, I'm sure you're right, that's the only answer I could find (online) at all to justify any of this behavior. Is there anything that can be done for that? I'm pretty much sleeping with one eye open because I don't trust him anymore (he's good if he can see you, even through the night) But I can't help but be leary. Thanks.

ryan
February 23rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
hi milliemi. first i would like to say i joined to day like you i have 2 5year old bullmastiffs the first thing i would do is stop talking to the dog unless you are giving a comand,as if he is stressed any attenstion you give while hes stressed will make him feel thats what you want. i would feed twice a dayfor a start but you and your sister must eat first.(so you get up eat breakfast then feed the dog) the same with the night time feed. your dog is a pack animal and you and your sister need to be pack leaders (alpha) and packleader ALLWAYS eats first.leave food down for 15 mins and then pick the bowl up. packleader should lead the way, so you and sis go through doors first and dog must sit and wait for anything. so if you want to give a toy dog must sit then wait(just 20 seconds or so it shows you are in control). the dog should not be aloud on your bed or furniture, if you want to talk or give the dog praise sit or kneel on the floor and call the dog to you,if the dog comes to you for praise you should just carey on with what you are doing as he is demanding it. all so sound as if the crate is to big he should have room to stand and turn round that all. hope all this give you the idear of being packleader and i didnot blab to much. sorry for my spelling i know its:censored: hope this helps should start seeing improvements in a week or so keep me posted.:thumbs up

Mud's Mom
February 28th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I would go back to basics on house breaking. Just like a puppy the dog is either under supervision or crated. Teach thru positive reinforcement no scolding, if caught in the act just scoot him out the door even in mid poop.

GWP's can be much more sensitive that you would think and one bad experience can only but undone by dozens of good ones.

I had a mixed breed several years ago - a stray I picked up when the car in front of me hit her. She suffered terrible seperation angsiety and would reinjure herself even when crated. My vet at the time put her on tranquilizers. Not for ever, starting with a stronger dose and decreasing ove a matter of about 5 months. This helped her to modify her behavior patterns.

GWP's are very smart but strong willed dogs. Smart doesn't always mean easy - my gwp was always trying to figure out a better way to do things than the way I taught him. He definately wanted to be top dog and we worked hard to establish that I was the boss and he was the dog. This is done with bonding and obedience training that was kept to small positive sessions. Always end on a good note. Many are natural retrievers, if yours is then exersize is easy and fetching can be mixed up as both play and lessons.

GWP's also have a sence of humor like no other dogs I have known and will bond with you becoming a dear friend. I miss mine very much and will have another some day soon. They are worth the work.

Kris

Mud's Mom
March 19th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Hi MillieMI

How are you doing with your GWP. Any improvement?