Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chloe and the cactus

shredy
February 23rd, 2008, 07:11 PM
So, we had a really nice hike today up in the hills in beautiful Laguna Beach, and on our way back down Chloe was racing around in the grass and managed to jump off the trail and land all four legs in the ONLY patch of cactus. We sat with her on the trail for the next hour picking out about a hundred of pokers, and since many of them were in her pads on her paws, Ricky carried her down (on his shoulders for 1.5 miles :lovestruck:) We found about 15 more once we were home, but she is still tender when she walks and since some of them were very fine, I am worried that they could still be some in there that we can't see or feel. I used a flashlight and she was VERY patient while we looked everywhere on her body so I don't think we are going to find anymore at this point. If they are still there will they cause abcesses or infections? Has anyone had any experience with this? Is there something we can do to help relieve her pain? I think she may just not want to walk because she is sore :sad: Any advice is welcomed, Thanks!

clm
February 23rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
Have another look using a magnifiying glass as well. Poor puppy, it figures that she'd find the only patch of cactus around. :rolleyes:

Cindy

Winston
February 23rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
Would it be helpful to soak her feet in some epson salts? maybe that would bring and more to light..?? poor baby...

Cindy

jiorji
February 23rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
tsk!! those spoiled bastids at Laguna Beach!!:mad: they didn't puppy proof the trails properly!!

awww Chloe:sad: kissy for your paws...get better ok?:cloud9:

Dracko
February 23rd, 2008, 08:49 PM
Been there but I don't think Dracko got it quite that bad. Unfortunately he weighs almost as much as me and I couldn't carry him home.

shredy
February 23rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
Chloe says thanks everyone, she is mopping around the house tonight and it is hard for me to tell if she is wiped out from our long hike, or if she is is pain, or a little bit of both. I did find six more in her paws, it seemed like they had worked their way out because I KNOW I looked there before and I didn't feel or see them before.

Drako: when this happened to Drako did he get any infection, or have any trouble afterward? Did you take him to the vet or do anything other than what I have done?

I feel so bad for her! :yell: :frustrated: :sad: She was having so much fun and since it was her first hike I really hope she won't be timid on our next one

growler~GateKeeper
February 24th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Aww poor Chloe :grouphug: tender little kisses for your owies :2huggers:

She might have a little infection if the spikes have been in for a long time. Unfortunately with the longish coat & light colouring it may be hard to find some of them but most of them should work themselves out. Keep checking over the next couple hours.

Soak in epsom salts is a good idea to try to bring anymore out - this would also reduce the chances of infection and swelling. Even a bath in regular plain warm water no shampoo/soap would work too.

shredy
February 24th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Thanks Growler and Winston! I did soak her paws in epsom salts and she looked at me like I was :crazy: :laughing: but let me do it so hopefully that will help. I have found one more on her belly, but no more in her paws so :fingerscr:fingerscr that none are hiding. She is sleeping now and I feel so bad for her!!

TeriM
February 24th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Awww poor Chloe :sad:. Give her a hug and a kiss on her pretty nose from me.
:grouphug:

Dracko
February 24th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Drako: when this happened to Drako did he get any infection, or have any trouble afterward? Did you take him to the vet or do anything other than what I have done?

I had a vet who lived down the street from me. She told me just to keep an eye on him. If he started limping or something like that to take him in. I was fortunate that nothing resulted from his cactus run in. Have to say I am WAY more careful about open fields now, though.

Frenchy
February 24th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Oh no ! :sad: poor little Chloe , how is she feeling today ?

Love4himies
February 24th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Oh no, poor Chloe, she needs kisses on her sore little paws.

How is she doing today?

hazelrunpack
February 24th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I hope Chloe's little footsies are better today! :fingerscr Cacti can be wicked little plants...

shredy
February 25th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Hi everyone, thanks for the good wishes! Chloe seems ok today, no limping, and I haven't found any more pokers. I worked all day and she was really excited to see me when I got home. Stupid cactus, I am still pissed that she ended up landing in th eonly cactus on the whole trail, we didn't even notice it until she was about to land in it and then the whole scene seemed to go in slow motion :laughing::laughing: My poor little Chloe bear :sad: I'll give her paws lots of kisses from all of you! Thanks again!

Shaykeija
February 25th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I am glad the tootsies are feeling better, Could have been worse, she could have sat on it...:eek:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/selenacf/DSCI0003.jpg

aslan
February 25th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Glad to hear little chloe's feeties are better, my quincy has such a crush on her. If I bring up her pics he hangs over my shoulder and whines at her. Just incase this ever happens again. Others can try this too works on slivers too. Get some tape, the stickier the better, put it over the area gently, then slowly pull the tape off (careful not to get it on the fur) it will pull the stickers or slivers out. Do this 2 or 3 times to get them all. Its less time consuming for the poor baby and this way your pretty sure you got them all.

chico2
February 25th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Ouch,poor little Chloe:sad:but I am glad to read she's doing better.
Of course she had to find the only cacti around,that's just the way it goes:frustrated:

krdahmer
February 25th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Ouch! Hope your paws feel better real soon Chloe! :pawprint::grouphug:

rainbow
February 25th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Awww...poor Chloe. :grouphug: I hope you haven't found any more and that she is doing fine now. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

shredy
February 26th, 2008, 12:25 AM
So I did another thorough look all over her body and no pokers to be found! I think we are in the clear. She is rolling around on our living room floor right now playing with her toy while we unwind from a long day at work (me) nad work and school (ricky). Coming home to her is the best part of our day :lovestruck::cloud9:

hazelrunpack
February 26th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Whew! Glad she's back to normal! :grouphug: She is so cute :cloud9:...and growing into such a lovely lady. Usually I can't download her picture threads, but growler is helping me cheat--she sends me the posts one at a time so I can open them. :D It's amazing how much she's grown.

rainbow
February 26th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Glad you didn't find any more pokers :thumbs up and hope it doesn't happen again. :fingerscr

shredy
February 26th, 2008, 01:09 AM
I posted some pics of our outing in the pictures forum....