Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Drastic weight loss in dog! I need help???

Linda1840
February 23rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
My 10 1/2 yr old Shih Tzu is going down fast! My Vet's cant' find anything in all the test. She has lost over 3 lbs of her 9 lb body weight in about 5 wks. We did blood and urine test and all were normal. She has severe allergies, yeast infec of the skin and allergic to about anything and everything along with many drugs. She has aged faster than most and is blind. I can't give up. One Vet said it may be cancer? Most of the time with fast weight loss it is? Has anyone else had a problem like this? She is eating and drinking more than usual. She on a perscription diet of rabbit and potatoe and has been for 7 mos. I did find the food helped with the allergie of itching. I have seen around 8 Vets even a Derm Vet. This is my cry for HELP. I just watch each day as her little body is geting so bony. It breaks my heart but maybe I need to admit it's her time?? Please offer any suggestions?

dustybird
February 23rd, 2008, 03:51 PM
I am sorry to hear about your little one.

Did the vets check her thyroid levels? I ask as it sort of sounds like she could be hyperthyroid(not that common in dogs like Hypothyroid is but does happen). Did they check for diabeties(I am sure they did but thought I'd ask)

Could it be a sideffect of one of the meds she's on?

:grouphug::fingerscr that the vets find out what is wrong soon.

BusterBoo
February 23rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
:sorry: so so sorry that your tzu isn't doing well.....

I have no idea what it could be, but please try and stay strong for your furbaby... :pray:

Linda1840
February 23rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Yes, she was checked for diabetic and it was normal. Didn't ck thyroid but usually they have weight gain.
I'm afraid it might be cancer but would think that would have show in the wh cell blood work? I ask my Vet if it could be cushing disease since she was on steroids for years. He didn't think so since they usually have weight gain instead of loss. She has really been through a hard life with constant skin and yeast infections. I appreciate all the notes you guys have sent me. I can tell there are alot of people out there that know my pain. This little girl has really gotten close to my heart.
She is not on any meds at this time.

sugarcatmom
February 23rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Didn't ck thyroid but usually they have weight gain.

Weight gain with hypothyroid (the more common type in dogs), weight loss occurs with hyperthyroid.

Sorry that you're going through this. I don't know what else to suggest, except maybe finding a holistic vet and thinking about a homemade diet. Sounds like her immune system is very out of whack and perhaps a broader, whole body perspective would be helpful.

dustybird
February 23rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
I would have them check her thyroid, if anything it would be one more thing to rule out. Dogs can get Hyperthyoridism and the signs are increased appetite, weighloss, increased thirst and urination. True most dogs get HYPOthyroid but again it is possible for them to get the other.

Here is one article.

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/hyperthyroidism.html

Not saying that is HYPERthyroidism but since the thyroid hasn't been checked I would have it checked. I know most dogs get HYPO not HYPER as I have only met two dogs who have had it. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be too many aritcles on the net about it as most refer to cats or talk about HYPO. Your right with HYPO there is increased weight gain and loss of appetite but with HYPER it is the opposite.

I don't know much about cushings or addisons but other's on here might.

Linda1840
February 25th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks for telling me about the thyroid. Checking the thyroid was a great ideal! Took her in this morning and my Vet was on Vac. Another Vet in the same office looked at her records and said he couldn't believe nobody had checked her thyroid before with all the skin problems she has had for years. All 5 Vets in the office have seen her at one time or the other when the main one I see was out.
Test results should be back in a couple days. Thanks soo much for telling me.
:thumbs up

coppperbelle
February 26th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I have a golden that is hypothyroid and loses weight. It is rare and only happens in about 10% of hypo cases but it does happen.

Linda1840
February 26th, 2008, 06:04 PM
We got the blood report back today on the thyroid and she is Hypothyroid. I just picked up the meds. The test showed her at .79 and it should have been between 1 and 4.
I'm so excited because this dog has suffered for years!! I have racked my brain and lost so much sleep trying to figure out what was wrong. We had blood and urine test done but no Vet ever said anything about checking the thyroid before. I had even taken her to a Derm Vet and she took allergy injections for 1 1/2 yrs.
We have dealt with skin and ear infections for years. She has even gotten where all she does is sleep. No energy at all.
The Vet said it will be a few weeks before we see a difference and we will follow up with blood work to see how the Thyroxine is working. :thankyou:

coppperbelle
February 26th, 2008, 08:13 PM
That is excellent news. It took about 6 weeks to notice a difference in my girl after she started her medication.

dustybird
February 26th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I am glad you finaly got some answers and that it wasn't anything serious. I know I kept harping on hyper instead of hypo but that was because the increased appetite and weight loss threw me. Still I can't believe it took this long for a vet to consider testing for it...it's just one of those tests that the vets around here anyway test for regularly.

My parents dog is hypo and I think it was 4 wks before they noticed a difference but his level wasn't as low.

Again really glad you finaly have an answer to what was wrong, I really feel bad that you had to spend all the money you did and that your little one went undiagnosed for so long.

Sylvie28
March 2nd, 2008, 04:39 AM
My 10 1/2 yr old Shih Tzu is going down fast! My Vet's cant' find anything in all the test. She has lost over 3 lbs of her 9 lb body weight in about 5 wks. We did blood and urine test and all were normal. She has severe allergies, yeast infec of the skin and allergic to about anything and everything along with many drugs. She has aged faster than most and is blind. I can't give up. One Vet said it may be cancer? Most of the time with fast weight loss it is? Has anyone else had a problem like this? She is eating and drinking more than usual. She on a perscription diet of rabbit and potatoe and has been for 7 mos. I did find the food helped with the allergie of itching. I have seen around 8 Vets even a Derm Vet. This is my cry for HELP. I just watch each day as her little body is geting so bony. It breaks my heart but maybe I need to admit it's her time?? Please offer any suggestions? I'm glad I read your problem, because my female shih tzu is 11 y.o. and we have almost the same problem. She lost a lot of weight, she throw up a lot and she seem to be ungry all the time. We changed her dry food to wet food. We only went to the vet once because we can't afford all the tests to try to find out what's is wrong. I was thinking that maybe she has a solitary worm or a tape worm. I wonder if it would be easy to find out from a vet, and see if it would be easy to treat without costing too much? I don't know who to ask or who to talk to about this. It's so sad to see my dog deterioring without being able to help. I just hope it's not cancer. I really tought she would live to 16 or 17 y.o. She use to be so tough. She had 3 litters. 1st with 2 puppies, 2nd with 5, and 3rd with 3. We kept one from the last litter. She's 4 and she adorable. I live in a small town so I see most of the puppies from the litters. They are all perfect. We donate one puppy once to a organizations who trains dog for handicaped children. Sylvie

Sylvie28
March 2nd, 2008, 05:03 AM
We got the blood report back today on the thyroid and she is Hypothyroid. I just picked up the meds. The test showed her at .79 and it should have been between 1 and 4.
I'm so excited because this dog has suffered for years!! I have racked my brain and lost so much sleep trying to figure out what was wrong. We had blood and urine test done but no Vet ever said anything about checking the thyroid before. I had even taken her to a Derm Vet and she took allergy injections for 1 1/2 yrs.
We have dealt with skin and ear infections for years. She has even gotten where all she does is sleep. No energy at all.
The Vet said it will be a few weeks before we see a difference and we will follow up with blood work to see how the Thyroxine is working. :thankyou:

:sorry: I'm so new to this site and I know I'm not replying right. I'm glad you're dog is doing well. Thanks every one, Monday I'm going to the vet and ask to check my dog and see if she as hypothyroid.

Shaykeija
March 2nd, 2008, 06:04 AM
I hope your baby is feeling better and will be doing the ZuZu shuffle again soon..

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj7/msmatel888/SHIHTZU.gif

Sylvie28
March 3rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Well, I called the vet today to ask if I could get my dog tested for her thyroid to see if she has hyperthyroid. When he phoned back he said that he can't do just one test that she has to go through all the test to find out what is wrong with her and that would cost me $300.00. He said that he's certain that she doesn't have hyperthyroid because he said it's one dog in a million. I told him about Linda's shih tzu, that she was diagnozed with that and that she's on medication now. He told me even if my dog had the same thing it's a lot more treatment than just a prescription.:cry:

LavenderRott
March 3rd, 2008, 09:25 PM
Find another vet.

I know several dogs with thyroid issues so it most certainly isn't one in a million.

And no, treating a thyroid problem is not that difficult.

Sylvie28
March 3rd, 2008, 10:04 PM
Thank you LavenderRott for replying. There's only 2 vets in our town. We have to take a ferry, or a plane to go to another town.

coppperbelle
March 3rd, 2008, 10:33 PM
Well, I called the vet today to ask if I could get my dog tested for her thyroid to see if she has hyperthyroid. When he phoned back he said that he can't do just one test that she has to go through all the test to find out what is wrong with her and that would cost me $300.00. He said that he's certain that she doesn't have hyperthyroid because he said it's one dog in a million. I told him about Linda's shih tzu, that she was diagnozed with that and that she's on medication now. He told me even if my dog had the same thing it's a lot more treatment than just a prescription.:cry:

I believe her dog is Hypothyroid and not Hyperthyroid. There is a difference. Hyper is rare in dogs but common in cats. Hypothyroid is more common in dogs but normally a dog will gain weight and be lethargic. I have a golden that is hypo, loses weight and is never lethargic. Apparently this normal in about 10% of hypothyroid dogs.
The test is a simple blood test and should not cost anywhere near $300.

Sylvie28
March 4th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Thank you coppperbelle, but the vet doesn't want to do just one test, he wants to do all the blood test and xrays to check for everything but not just for one thing. He said it's the professional way to deal with this. Since we swiched to wet food she throw up once or twice a week, it use to be 2-3 times a day. I have to be patient and hope she will gain her weight back. She doesn't want to go for long walk anymore, so now I just take her daugther for walk. By the way, her name is Roo, 11 y.o, and her baby is muffin, 4 y.o. One day I will figure out how to post their picture.

Sylvie28
March 4th, 2008, 02:13 AM
OK, I tried to put a picture, so now let see if it worked

badger
March 4th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I think your vet is being remarkably stubborn, even unprofessional. Does this mean you have to forgo the test because of the cost?

Sylvie28
March 4th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I hate to say this, but the answer is yes :cry:

Love4himies
March 4th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Write to the Veterinary regulatory body where you live and report this vet. How can a vet refuse to do testing on an animal unless it will harm the animal? That is unethical.

chico2
March 4th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Sylvie,since your pup has had 3 litters,I am sure,or hope,she is not a stranger to this vet and I cannot understand why he will not just take a simple bloodtest to rule out a Thyroidproblem.
Just checking the blood for this one thing is about $90 here,if it involves a wellness test,it costs a bit more.
It is not difficult to treat the Thyroid with pills once you get the right dosage.
I would hate to read your pup died because of money,especially since she gave you 3 litter of pups,please find the money somehow..

Sylvie28
March 4th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Beleive me I tried very hard to have just this one test done and there's no way he will allow it. He also said that; I bet you anything she doesn't have a thyroid problem. With an attitude like that, even if he would agree to test her and if the result would come in positive. Do you really think he would admit he's wrong and say I was right? Like I said we only have 2 vet in a town of 20,000 people, they know people are desperate.

Anyway, on a more positive side, Roo didn't throw up since last friday. Eversince we switched her to the wet food called innova about three weeks ago she's been keeping it in. So now we just have to be patient and see if she's going to gain her weight back. Muffin, the 4 y.o., she's been eating the leftover, and boy those she have energy, you'd think that she has bouncing balls in her body. I wish I knew how to download a picture of them.

Linda1840
March 12th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I think you need to find another Vet. The thyroid test for my Sasha girl was $75. The Vet said they see lots of thyroid problems in dogs. She's been on pills for 2 wks. He said it will take 4 wks or more to see a diff. We do have to go and do the test again in 4 wks. They have to ck her level and may have to do some adjusting on the pills.
I just can't believe the Vet won't run the blood for you. That's crazy! Maybe you need to find a Vet in a near by town? I'm keeping my fingers crossed the Vet is right when he says he thinks this will cure 90% of Sasha's problems.
Good luck and let me know how you come out. ;) Linda

Sylvie28
March 14th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Thank you Linda for your concern. I'm happy for you that your Sasha seem's to be doing better.

I tried to attached a picture of Roo and Muffin, hopefully I got it right this time.

My husband will take an appointment tommorow with the other vet we have here in town, he's the one we use to have about 15 years ago when we had the other shih tzu, and I wasn't crazy about him either. My boss told me that she switched back to him. So I'll keep you posted.

This is the down side of living in a small town. When I lived in Montréal we had an extremelly good selection on everything, but I don't think I could switched from living in beautiful relaxing paridise to a big fast paced city

Sylvie28
March 14th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Yes:clap:, it worked, Roo is the dog looking at us when she was doing better this summer. The one looking away, is Muffing, her baby who will be 5 in June.

Sylvie28
March 14th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I'm having fun. Here is a picture of Muffin. Tomorrow I will try to send a picture of my cat Pinky who turned nine in October. He always follow us for our walk around the park, he's so cute.