Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Upset Stomach and Gassy

bluebear
February 23rd, 2008, 11:36 AM
Hi: I have a 11 1/2 year old who had stomach surgery Oct, 2007. He has been having problems with his stomach and eating grass a lot and gagging. He does not throw anything up and then when he comes in he crys and then passes a bit of gas and then just keeps crying. He will go in and out 3 times in the evening. I have him on core dog food ocean formula because he cannot digest meat of anykind. Is there a medicine on the market for dog's who have upset stomach and get gas pains. Would pep-cid work. I just want him to be comfortable in the last years of his life.

bluebear
February 23rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
Hi: I have a 11 1/2 year old who had stomach surgery Oct, 2007. He has been having problems with his stomach and eating grass a lot and gagging. He does not throw anything up and then when he comes in he crys and then passes a bit of gas and then just keeps crying. He will go in and out 3 times in the evening. I have him on core dog food ocean formula because he cannot digest meat of anykind. Is there a medicine on the market for dog's who have upset stomach and get gas pains. Would pep-cid work. I just want him to be comfortable in the last years of his life.

Forgot to mention pep-cid was prescribed by the vet. I stopped using it because he was still gagging and acting like he wanted to swallow something still. Now he has this other problem with eating grass and trying to vomit but not vomiting anything up. I think it's gas pain that is making him uncomfortable.

Kristin7
February 23rd, 2008, 01:04 PM
Poor doggy! I haven't had a dog lose a lot of weight, but did have one who needed pepcid (she got ulcers as a side effect from kidney disease). It doesn't sound like pepcid was the problem, so I would put the dog back on it, as probably he was put on it for a good reason. fyi-If your dog gets ulcers you will see very dark colored poop (that is blood from the stomach). Why did your dog need stomach surgery? It's possible your dog could benefit from probiotics, such as yogurt, or enzyme supplements... hopefully others will comment.

bluebear
February 23rd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Poor doggy! I haven't had a dog lose a lot of weight, but did have one who needed pepcid (she got ulcers as a side effect from kidney disease). It doesn't sound like pepcid was the problem, so I would put the dog back on it, as probably he was put on it for a good reason. fyi-If your dog gets ulcers you will see very dark colored poop (that is blood from the stomach). Why did your dog need stomach surgery? It's possible your dog could benefit from probiotics, such as yogurt, or enzyme supplements... hopefully others will comment.

Thanks. I gave him a pepcid this morning after breakfast just in case. I have been reading that about yogurt. I thought dairy was bad for dogs. However I think I'm gonna get some. Should you just use plain yogurt.

He needed stomach surgery due to licking urine from other dog's. Yuck! However I think he now knows how he got sick as he does not lick any more. Go figure. He licked a small cut up piece of take out cup lid and swallowed it and it got stuck in the exit of his stomach. So he needed emergency surgery. He's my pride and joy and I would do anything for him. No matter how much it cost.

Kristin7
February 23rd, 2008, 06:05 PM
I totally understand how you feel! I would go into the poor house for my pets (and nearly have before). Yes, plain yogurt only, not the flavored stuff, and nothing sweetened. I haven't heard yogurt is bad for dogs, but cats often are lactose intolerant. Still, mine are fine with a dab of yogurt now and then.

My dog just had an episode where he was vomiting a lot, not sure why. He loves sniffing other dog's 'deposits', and eats his own poop on occasion, yuck! :yuck: dogs can be kinda gross...