Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

tail biting

miky
February 23rd, 2008, 08:26 AM
hi everyone, Im a new kid on the block & have a ? please. I have a 3 yr chihuahua,Miky, he is on his usual flea treatment & had no flees but he keeps biting at his tail. I looked @ it this am and there are sores on it, some w/scab. no where else on his little body, just the tail. is this from dry skin? can I put anything on it to sooth it for him?

Gibbons
February 23rd, 2008, 10:29 AM
My parents dog kept chewing at his tail, and he had some sort of mites or something? We went to the vet, they did a skin scraping because the mites are microscopic. We put him on some sort of pills for two weeks and never had a problem again. We caught it pretty early on so his skin didn't get too bad but the vet was saying she'd seen some horrific cases.

The vet DID say that washing it just with warm water can help to soothe it temporarily, but if it is something like mites the vet said its good to get them in ASAP because they spread.

Sorry- this was 6 years ago or something so my actual information is kinda sketchy. In either case- it's vet time!