Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do you stop a cat from licking a sore?

DadaLeigh
February 22nd, 2008, 02:03 PM
Any suggestions on how to stop a cat from licking sores? She has one on her tail and continuously bits at it. Any suggestions would help. Thank you

rainbow
February 22nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
What kind of a sore? Have you taken her to the vet yet?

DadaLeigh
February 22nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
Yes I have, he has only suggested polysporin and wrapping it up. Yet it is very difficult since it is situated at the base of her tail. (She can simply remove it easily)

rainbow
February 22nd, 2008, 02:36 PM
You can get an elizabethan collar from the vet so she can't reach it. Did the vet not prescribe antibiotics? Is it from a cat bite?

DadaLeigh
February 22nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
The vet did not prescribe any antibiotics. It is a type of growth she's had for years thats bothering her. The vet cannot do anything about it because of its location (numerous vets say the same).. I'd rather not put that collar on her..

loopoo
February 23rd, 2008, 01:21 AM
just curious as she has had this growth for years, has she always licked it? wondered as if the behaviour was more recent, it may warrant more tests to explain why it is bothering her.:) if its been ongoing, i assume that he has done the bloodwork to rule out any other reason as to why she keeps going back to the same spot and irritating it? if it has to take time to heal, and this is not anything you need worry about, a collar may be best so she doesnt irritate it, even if only for a short term..