Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cushing disease ??

Linda1840
February 22nd, 2008, 01:22 PM
I'm new and just found this site today. I have a 10 1/2 yr old blind Shih Tzu that has spent most of her life suffering from allergies and yeast infections of the skin. She was on steriods about half her life until a couple yrs ago.She took allergie shots also for about 1 1/2 yrs and I stopped because they didn't seem to be doing anything. She is also allergic to any drug or shampoo ending in the zole family. Along with herbs and other things.
My concern is she started loosing her bladder control in her bed at night for a few wks and then has gotten better. I took her in for urine and blood work and everything was normal.
My concern is she has lost over 3lbs in the last 5 wks and only weighed 9 lbs to begin. This is 30% of her body weight. My Vet said he didn't know of anything else to do until something else happens to alert us.
I have been reading about Cushing disease but everything says they gain weight? I am really puzzled but understand they can get tumors with this and another Vet told me fast weight loss was usually cancer?
She is eating and really drinking much more than usual. I just wonder if anyone has had a dog with problems like this? It's really a puzzle but watching her little bony body go down each day is killing me. My Vet says she has aged much faster than normal. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Linda

sugarcatmom
February 22nd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Did the vet check for diabetes? Weight loss and excessive eating/drinking are signs, and long-term steriod use can cause diabetes.

Linda1840
February 22nd, 2008, 02:42 PM
Yes, diabetes test was done and was normal. Thanks