Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

10-year study of more than 4,300 Americans: Cats Help Shield Owners From Heart Attack

RUSTYcat
February 22nd, 2008, 12:14 PM
"Whether it's a frisky kitten or a tubby tabby, a cat at home could cut your heart attack risk by almost a third, a new study suggests...

In the new study, Qureshi's team analyzed data on 4,435 Americans, aged 30 to 75, who took part in the federal government's second National Health and Nutrition Examination Study, which ran from 1976-1980. According to the data in the survey, 2,435 of the participants either owned a cat or had owned a cat in the past, while the remaining 2,000 had never done so.

Qureshi's team then tracked rates of death from all causes, including heart and stroke.

Cat owners "appeared to have a lower rate of dying from heart attacks" over 10 years of follow-up compared to feline-free folk, Qureshi said.

The magnitude of the effect -- a 30 percent reduction in heart attack risk -- "was a little bit surprising," he added. "We certainly expected an effect, because we thought that there was a biologically plausible mechanism at work. But the magnitude of the effect was hard to predict.""

http://www.healthfinder.gov/news/newsstory.asp?docid=612800
http://bestsmileys.com/cats2/14.gif

Jim Hall
February 22nd, 2008, 12:16 PM
doesnt suprise me in the least when i pet my DU or say pretty girl and hear her purr like a motoboat i can feel my BP just go way down

t.pettet
February 22nd, 2008, 12:45 PM
The purring rumble and softness of their coats and the little meows are so relaxing that I can see how beneficial they are for de-stressing anyone. Hope alot of people become aware of this finding and go and empty out the shelters and rescue groups.

Frenchy
February 22nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
I don't know guys .... my heart rate goes pretty high when I'm going : no Paddy don't do this , Paddy leave Bailey's tail alone , Paddy don't jump on Nelly's face , Paddy stop playing in the litter , Paddy donMt unroll the toilet paper , Paddy stop emptying the kleenex box , Paddy noooooooooooooooo

:evil:

:laughing: maybe in a couple of years :D

ancientgirl
February 22nd, 2008, 01:41 PM
I don't know guys .... my heart rate goes pretty high when I'm going : no Paddy don't do this , Paddy leave Bailey's tail alone , Paddy don't jump on Nelly's face , Paddy stop playing in the litter , Paddy donMt unroll the toilet paper , Paddy stop emptying the kleenex box , Paddy noooooooooooooooo

:evil:

:laughing: maybe in a couple of years :D

Frenchy, I know what you mean! I get that with Maks and Kiska, but they're still kittens.

For the most part, I do love relaxing with them. I have to get on the floor to pet Oksana, she hates being carried, but it is relaxing. Her fur is so soft, and she purrs constantly.