Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Thirst

Buddy's Mom
February 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM
My cat drinks ALOT of water. He has a bad case of dandruff too.
I have 2 other cats that don't seem to have this problem.
He has been to the vet 3 times since this seemed to start,
once when he had his teeth cleaned I paid for all the blood work they could think of and no one thinks there's anything wrong with him. The blood work the last time they said his glucose level was very slightly elevated but they thought that was due to the stress of coming to the vet.
Could it be a just a social issue? Because he is definitely more interested having me run the water from the sink for him, and regarding the dandruff, are house is very dry. They all have static electricity, but the others don't have dandruff.
(I am getting a humidifier.)
Any helpful input would be greatly appreciated.
Buddy's mom.

krdahmer
February 22nd, 2008, 10:40 AM
A humidifier would definitely help with the dandruff. As for the water drinking, that is a good thing, they need to get lots of water. What kind of food do you feed, I find that my cats that won't eat canned food tend to drink more water. And I have two that love to drink out of the sink... they love running fresh water. Is your cat overweight at all? I know in humans and I think in cats too excessive drinking is a sign of diabetes, so you should keep a close eye on his sugars.

sugarcatmom
February 22nd, 2008, 10:42 AM
Excessive thirst can indicate diabetes, hyperthyroid, kidney disease, etc. How old is your cat? What do you feed him? The elevated glucose could be from stress, but it's something to keep an eye on. One way to check it yourself at home would be to get some Bayer Diastix test strips from the pharmacy (they're something like $10 for a bottle) and dip it in his urine. If glucose shows up there, you're looking at diabetes.

Other than that, perhaps a diet change would be good. If he's not eating wet food, I strongly recommend ditching the dry and starting him on a quality canned food. http://www.catinfo.org/