Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

help

franmolly
February 22nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
I have a 2 year old cat called molly, she really is so spoiled and sleeps on my bed at night. In January we went on holiday for 2 weeks and left molly in to kennels, I had used this kennels before and trusted them. When we came home and picked her up she seemed so different, before we went she was very playful, she became very withdrawn and listless 2 weeks ago her breathing became very laboured. i took her to the vet who thought she had fluid on the lungs and took her in to operate on her and release the fluid but the following morning she was much better so he send her home. then last Saturday she stopped eating. On tuesday I took her back to the vet who could not find any reason why she would not eat. Now I am wondering if it might be seperation anxiety and if so what can I do

sugarcatmom
February 22nd, 2008, 09:05 AM
Is she still not eating?

ancientgirl
February 22nd, 2008, 09:16 AM
Have you spoken to the people at the kennel? Did they notice anything odd in her behavior?

phoozles
February 22nd, 2008, 11:54 AM
It doesn't really sound like separation anxiety - cats tend to bounce back from that fairly quickly. Perhaps she picked something up at the kennel? Sometimes cats get a Feline Herpes Virus flare up, and their sense of smell disappears so they don't want to eat. She definitely needs to eat - have you tried really stinky foods (i.e. tuna)? I'd be a little worried about fatty liver - if she's not eating, take her to another vet. Good luck! :fingerscr

littlesuki
February 22nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
I have a 2 year old cat called molly, she really is so spoiled and sleeps on my bed at night. In January we went on holiday for 2 weeks and left molly in to kennels, I had used this kennels before and trusted them. When we came home and picked her up she seemed so different, before we went she was very playful, she became very withdrawn and listless 2 weeks ago her breathing became very laboured. i took her to the vet who thought she had fluid on the lungs and took her in to operate on her and release the fluid but the following morning she was much better so he send her home. then last Saturday she stopped eating. On tuesday I took her back to the vet who could not find any reason why she would not eat. Now I am wondering if it might be seperation anxiety and if so what can I do

This dose not sound like a seperation thing. Kennels can have lots of helth problems with all the animals that pass through there my dog got kennel cough while staying in a kennel so I don't use them any more. The thing is that we don't know what animal was in that cage befor yours and how well kennels clean when a sick dog or cat stayes not saying that all kennels are bad it just hard to know how well they are cleaned and there are lots of contagious helh problems that can be passed form one pet to another so I would get a second opinion from another vet and next time you have to go away some vetspetsit there are pet sitters out there that will come to your house so your baby can stay at home where he or she is happy I love my pet sitter and my pets are a lot more relaxed when a come home best of luck with your kitty hope she gets better very soon :cat: