Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog throwing up in sleep

Dutchess' Human
February 22nd, 2008, 06:06 AM
I recently changed my dog's food (10 days ago), and since then she has thrown up in her sleep three times. Once last Wednesday, once on Sunday, and again last night.

The first time was at about 1:30AM, so I don't know for sure if she was sleeping at the time. I figured it might have something to do with the change of food (from Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato to Canidae All Life Cycles). On Saturday we were working on training, so she got a number of treats (maybe a dozen Bil Jac's liver treats) which I thought may have led to the Sunday incident. On Sunday, she was asleep at the foot of the couch and threw up in her sleep in the middle of the afternoon.

Last night, shortly after 1:00AM, she threw up again. She hasn't had anything to eat except for Canidae for almost a week now.

Any ideas what's going on? Is this anything that should concern me, or just "one of those things"? There's no bile, no blood, and the vomit is relatively small (maybe a half cup to a cup - she's a 100lb dog).

hazelrunpack
February 22nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
If it continues, I think I'd take her in for a check... Does she get up and retch before vomiting or does she vomit while still asleep? There may be something in the new food that's not agreeing with her, or it may be a physical problem.

rainbow
February 22nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
Has she ever had another chicken based kibble before?

geisha
February 22nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
Can you describe what colour the vomit is? or the character.

Dutchess' Human
February 22nd, 2008, 01:34 PM
If it continues, I think I'd take her in for a check... Does she get up and retch before vomiting or does she vomit while still asleep? There may be something in the new food that's not agreeing with her, or it may be a physical problem.

She is awake while vomiting, with a couple of the characteristic generic retches before hand. She goes from dead asleep, to a couple of retches, to vomit. She generally doesn't stand up and vomits from a lying position.

Has she ever had another chicken based kibble before?

She has had "poultry" based kibble but never chicken. I had a thread earlier about her food and she had previous problems with liquid poo and gas which have disapeared on this new food (Canidae). Perhaps I've substituted one gastric problem for another.

Can you describe what colour the vomit is? or the character.

The vomit is a light brown (slightly lighter than her kibble but not much), about the consistency of oatmeal made with slightly less liquid than normal (in other words it's uniform and smooth with slightly lumpy).

I'm glad to post this after lunch :yuck: