Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Puppy is 6 weeks old. Did I make a mistake???

ttjcarey
February 21st, 2008, 02:30 PM
I'm new to this site. I have been looking at some of the threads and came across one that got my attention. This person was looking for puppy training classes for her new pup. Her pup was only 7 weeks old. The thread got a lot of replies from people saying that she shouldn't have even taken her puppy from the breeder until at least 8 weeks old.
This made me feel really bad. I'm a new puppy owner. I just got my pup on Valentines day and he was just 6 weeks old. If I would have known that its benificial for the pup to stay with the mother for longer, I would have waited. Unfortunately I didn't do my homework. I do now have a very cute puppy, but I'm worried that because we got him at just 6 weeks, that we may have caused damage, or my pup will have mental issues.
I know its too late now (can't bring the puppy back to the breeder and ask to keep it for a few more weeks.). Any advice/suggestions to help my puppy cope would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Amy P
February 21st, 2008, 03:18 PM
Hi! In my opinion I wouldn't worry, there is really nothing you can do now anyway. Just know there may be a little extra training time involved. We got our puppy from a shelter and he was only 5 weeks old. (We didn't find this out until later on) He was taken from his mother in Puerto Rico way too soon (he still had part of his umbilical chord) so now he has a very cute belly button. :rolleyes: :laughing:
We had to work with him a little extra with the nipping and playful attacks :D because he was not around his mother or siblings to learn this. I wouldn't worry too much though. As long as he is healthy and you work with him you both will be fine. The place where you got the puppy should have told you it was not a good idea to get it until it was at least 8 weeks old...but again there is nothing you can do. Having a new puppy can be stressful enough, I wouldn't spend any undo stress time on how old he was when you got him. :rolleyes::D...And by the way CONGRATS on the new addition, would love to see some pics!!:D

hazelrunpack
February 21st, 2008, 07:51 PM
I agree--don't dwell on 'should have beens'. Amy P is right--pups can be stressful enough as it is. :D But it's a good stress--they give back a lot of lovin' for all the aggravation they put you through! :dog:

Once your pup has had its shots (talk to your vet about the timing), try to get him as much socialization as possible--both with dogs, other pups his own age, and with people. One of the important things pups learn from littermates is how to interact and your little guy will need to learn the ropes. A Puppy Kindergarten class would be invaluable!

And I'll second that request for some pictures! :thumbs up

Byrd
February 21st, 2008, 08:00 PM
I got Willow at six weeks old and had no issues.

The only thing with it is the loss of socialization and the teaching of manners that mommy gives them. You just have to be sure to get him out and socialize with people and other dogs as soon as he has his shots. Take him to new places, crate him, go in the car, everything you want him to be comfortable with when he's older. As far as the manners go, don't let him chew anything he shouldn't, like hands, and start training early, Willow already knew sit and shake a paw by seven weeks.

Most of all have fun with your new baby, what breed is he, and what's his name?

Ford Girl
February 21st, 2008, 08:15 PM
Too late to worry now, you will have plenty to worry about thru these puppy stages!! ;) :evil: :laughing: :lovestruck:

We got Dazy between week 7 and 8. But you don't want to hear my puppy stories..:rolleyes: :evil:

You can do some research on puppy development and do your best...that's all you can do. Training helps a lot.

Please share some more details...name, breed...and of course pictures!!! :cloud9:

rainbow
February 22nd, 2008, 01:01 PM
I agree with everyone......don't worry about it. The only thing I would suggest is to take him to obedience school as it will be beneficial to you both. :thumbs up

Also, welcome to the forum and we really would love to see some pics. :D

sugarcatmom
February 22nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
Congrats on your new furry family member (and I'll echo everyone else's request for puppy pics). You might be interested in this website for info on puppy socialization and training (house-training, crate-training, chew-toy training, etc): http://www.dogstardaily.com/training

KimJ
February 23rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
We got our puppy when she was only 3 weeks old.

I hated taking her from her littermates so early, but unfortunately the mommy dog died :cry: and we didn't think the puppies were being taken very good care of. There were I think 9 puppies in the litter, and they were all confined to a space about 3 feet by 3 feet, it looked like the paper hadn't been changed in several days and all of the dogs had fleas, and they weren't eating well because they were not being offered any milk and only dry food. Not to mention the state of the house and yard - was kind of disgusting to put it nicely. Luckily, most of the dogs were adopted right away or we might have gone home with all of them!

But other than a few minor issues (potty mostly), our doggy is pretty well-adjusted so I am sure your will be fine too.

TeriM
February 24th, 2008, 01:21 AM
I agree with the others advice. Your biggest task is to make sure your pup gets lots of socialization and I agree that a puppy kindergarten class would be extremely helpful.

Goodluck :).