Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why am I finding this

Love4himies
February 21st, 2008, 11:48 AM
what are these doing in my house:

How many cats do I have??? Yup three, three adult cats, so tell me why I still have these critters in my house??

Perhaps a day or two without food will entice my so called sly hunters to get their hunting instincts in gear and control these rodents.

ancientgirl
February 21st, 2008, 11:50 AM
Could they be roach droppings? In my old place, before Oksana came to live with us, I'd find roach droppings. Ick, even in the new place. LOL, Oksana seems to have cleared those all up.

jiorji
February 21st, 2008, 11:55 AM
Could they be roach droppings? In my old place, before Oksana came to live with us, I'd find roach droppings. Ick, even in the new place. LOL, Oksana seems to have cleared those all up.

OMG!!! no way!!! roaches are MUCH smaller up here ...thank goodness!!:laughing:

L4H.............hahahhahahahhaahhahh
your post made me laugh so hard :laughing::laughing:
what's with cats these days eh?? lazy bums!! EARN your food!! :laughing:

they all probably get together with the intrudor and watch tv while you're sleeping :laughing:

Love4himies
February 21st, 2008, 11:58 AM
OMG!!! no way!!! roaches are MUCH smaller up here ...thank goodness!!:laughing:

L4H.............hahahhahahahhaahhahh
your post made me laugh so hard :laughing::laughing:
what's with cats these days eh?? lazy bums!! EARN your food!! :laughing:

they all probably get together with the intrudor and watch tv while you're sleeping :laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
They are lazy bums and they get fed too well. I would have thought Sweet Pea being a previous stray would have had a chance to tweak her hunting skills a little.

clm
February 21st, 2008, 11:58 AM
what are these doing in my house:

How many cats do I have??? Yup three, three adult cats, so tell me why I still have these critters in my house??

Perhaps a day or two without food will entice my so called sly hunters to get their hunting instincts in gear and control these rodents.

:laughing::laughing: Maybe you have passive cats who don't believe in hunting. :laughing::laughing:

That is sad indeed. I wonder how my 3 girls would do if I had that situation in my house. :confused: I'm not going to import any little test subjects to see.

Cindy

luckypenny
February 21st, 2008, 11:59 AM
:yuck:

Perhaps you can place some traps where the kitties don't have access to?

Love4himies
February 21st, 2008, 12:05 PM

One advantage of living in Canada with the cold we don't get those creepy crawlers like you do in Florida. :D These are mouse droppings.

Wonder if I leave the cupboard door open tonight they will be able to catch the little critter, :mwaha:.

Love4himies
February 21st, 2008, 12:13 PM
:yuck:

Perhaps you can place some traps where the kitties don't have access to?

I have some humane mouse traps I can set, or I can let nature take its course and let my kitties at them, no, wait better set the trap, the cats will probably just watch the mice run around the house because they are too lazy to give chase. BTW, I justified getting a second cat, Jasper, after Snowball passed away to my husband by stating we needed a cat that would do rodent control around the house

coppperbelle
February 21st, 2008, 05:36 PM
get yourself some of those snap traps. They are the only thing that will take care of the situation. You will catch them in a humane trap but as soon as you let them go they will come back.

phoozles
February 21st, 2008, 05:36 PM
BTW, I justified getting a second cat, Jasper, after Snowball passed away to my husband by stating we needed a cat that would do rodent control around the house

:laughing: Hopefully your hubby forgot about that! ;)

That reminds me of the reason I got Jake - second year of University a few girls and I rented a townhouse for the school year. We found out about 2 weeks before we moved in that our next door neighbours were disgusting pigs and their house was completely INFESTED with cochroaches :yuck:
So, being directly attached to them, guess what happened to our house?
The neighbours got kicked out, but it was too late for us to find a new place, so we had to deal. After a few months, I used the old "I should get a kitten to scare away the bugs" excuse.
Of course, he just sat there as they scurried away. :rolleyes: Although, who could blame him - they were almost the same size as he was :yuck:

jiorji
February 21st, 2008, 06:22 PM
:laughing::laughing: Maybe you have passive cats who don't believe in hunting. :laughing::laughing:

make love not war

peace on earth amongst all species :angel::laughing:

rainbow
February 21st, 2008, 06:34 PM
I could send you my cats....they would love to get rid of them for you. :evil: But then you would have to take the critters away from them so they don't eat them. :yuck:

Seriously though, I would set some traps and close the door so your cats can't have access to the area. Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Frenchy
February 21st, 2008, 07:12 PM
ewwww ! It peed too ?! :yuck: be careful while cleaning it up , the smell of their urine is very bad for us (really , I'm not making this up)

And check your cats for worms and fleas ..... Paddington ate one (some of you might remember :rolleyes:) and it cost me about $300.00 to get red of worms and fleas for all of them :frustrated:

I HATE MICE ! :yell:

Good luck !

Love4himies
February 22nd, 2008, 06:25 AM
make love not war

peace on earth amongst all species :angel::laughing:

Ah ha, that is what is going through Jasper's head when he delicately plays with the chipmunks outside and turns his back after a few minutes so they can run away.:p We call it his "catch and release" program.:laughing:

No wonder Puddles has no respect for him, she likes her males to be hunters that can bring treats back to her, like Snowball used to do.

Love4himies
February 22nd, 2008, 06:27 AM
ewwww ! It peed too ?! :yuck: be careful while cleaning it up , the smell of their urine is very bad for us (really , I'm not making this up)

And check your cats for worms and fleas ..... Paddington ate one (some of you might remember :rolleyes:) and it cost me about $300.00 to get red of worms and fleas for all of them :frustrated:

Good luck !

I do remember, and I will check them for fleas.

danaekitty
February 22nd, 2008, 07:39 AM
One advantage of living in Canada with the cold we don't get those creepy crawlers like you do in Florida. :D These are mouse droppings.

Not true. I used to bartend in downtown London in a dirty bar (not going to say which) and I would find cockroaches every day in the back cupboards:eeew: Apparently, it's common in cities with very old infrastructure. They are attracted to the moisture. Fortunately they are not quite as big as down south.

get yourself some of those snap traps. They are the only thing that will take care of the situation. You will catch them in a humane trap but as soon as you let them go they will come back.

Unless you drive them far away. Like to a lovely mouse farm in the country...:cloud9:
I want to cry just thinking about snap traps!

Vegetarians?

Writing4Fun
February 22nd, 2008, 09:09 AM
Not true. I used to bartend in downtown London in a dirty bar (not going to say which) and I would find cockroaches every day in the back cupboards My sister told me horror stories of her apartment in NDG, waking up to see a roach stuck in the display of her alarm clock (not lcd - this was an old clock with the little numbers that flipped). :yuck:

Unless you drive them far away. Like to a lovely mouse farm in the country...:cloud9: Yeah, I'm sure the hawks don't have the same moral standards as your cats. :laughing:

Frenchy
February 22nd, 2008, 11:54 AM
My sister told me horror stories of her apartment in NDG, waking up to see a roach stuck in the display of her alarm clock (not lcd - this was an old clock with the little numbers that flipped). :yuck:

:yuck: :eeew:

Love4himies
March 17th, 2008, 07:22 AM
"mom, open the cupboard door, somethings in there!"

Love4himies
March 17th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Finally after weeks of waiting for the mouse to return, we finally trapped it. It was released in the wood pile in our back yard.

Puddles is such a hunter :lovestruck:. She guarded that cupborad door until DH removed the mouse.
Jasper and Sweet Pea just ignored it and wanted to be fed their breakfast :frustrated: did I mention that I got Jasper hoping he would do pest control:rolleyes:

CearaQC
March 17th, 2008, 10:40 AM
There are some strange ways to catch/kill a mouse. I saw an old timer on a UK documentary (The Victorian Kitchen Garden) from the late 1980s and he was demonstrating how the Victorians would catch/kill mice.

One method was with two bricks. A hazelnut was threaded onto a pin/nail on the side of a brick. And the other brick was supported at an angle by the same wire. The theory was if a mouse came to nibble on the nut, then it would trigger the other brick to fall on top the mouse.

Another method was a tiny wooden box with a small hole in one side. Inside the box, wire mesh attached to the hole and made sort of an "entrance only - no exit." The bait inside the box was pea seeds (untreated in those days.)

The last method is more for the burrowing in ground types. The Victorians had a kind of spring-loaded trap with spikes. They would set the trap over the known run in the ground and when the animal would push through the run, the trap would trigger and the animal would die via spikes. :eeew:

I think the wooden box with pea seeds would be my choice. :thumbs up

Boubou
March 17th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Yeah, mine too - the other ones sound like they hurt!! Poor little mice....so misunderstood :cry:

Frenchy
March 17th, 2008, 09:35 PM
omg I was afraid to scroll down , but no picture of the :evil:

CearaQC , the 2 bricks method doesn't sound too bad ....

just kidding folks ... yes ... just kidding ...... :p

coppperbelle
March 18th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Bears can be trapped and re-located but mice. :wall: Trapping a mouse and re-locating it a waste of time. It will return (especially if it left a litter in your home somewhere) unless you know how and where he entered your home and are able to block it off. Even then he may find himself another entry way. Mice need only 1/2 the diameter of a dime.
Frenchy is right about mice urine. It is make you very ill.
My sister re-located a mouse once. It returned and by the time her husband acknowledged that there may be some mice in the house a few weeks went by. They managed to catch 17 before the problem was solved.

Love4himies
March 18th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Bears can be trapped and re-located but mice. :wall: Trapping a mouse and re-locating it a waste of time. It will return (especially if it left a litter in your home somewhere)

:yell::yell:, I am hoping the wood pile will be far enough away that it won't find it's way back. We have a mouse trap set up (humane one), but I don't want to put down poison because of my cats, and I don't want to have a dead mouse in my cupboard. If he/she returns I will have to rethink my plan.

SARAH
March 18th, 2008, 07:50 AM

HAHA, I remember stories of my great grandfather, leaving his house carrying the humane traps with his nightly catch of mice and wearing a top hat (never went outside without that!), letting the mice out at the other end of a large field. My great grandmother and my grandmother used to stand at the window laughing, as the mice made it home before the old man :laughing:

Good luck !

I had cats let the mice roam inside the house, but if they were outside ... :evil: dead! Eaten up too. I'd find a tail and a head the next morning. Maybe they figured that if the mice were inside they must be pets, but outside they were fair game?

Never had work problems, and the fleas were caught as much from the wild rabbits and foxes and whatever else around; and easily treated with a few drops of "stuff" between the cats'/dogs' shoulderblades.

chico2
March 18th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I always knew we had mice in our shed,building nest in the snowblower,lawnmower etc...but until I found something had chewed on my potatoes in the cupboard,did not know we had them in the house:yell:
We looked everywhere outside and found the place they got in,they had chewed through the filler by the pipe that's connected to the central air thingy outside.

I was watching TV one night,this little cute mouse ran right by me,persued by Vinnie:yell:I am not sure what happened to him,or where he went,but Vinnie did not get him.
We put livetraps in the cupboard and I know hubby probably did something I would not approve of,but we had to get them out of the house.

As for roaches,I worked in a "landmark of fine dining"restaurant and one morning after the whole place had been sprayed for pests,we came to work finding thousands of Roaches,the ceiling,walls,cups and soupbowls it was like a horrormovie:yuck:

But we do not get the huge roaches,the size of an egg,like the ones I saw in Jamaica:yuck:
If I saw a roach in my house no matter how small,my house would have a For Sale sign on the lawn!

SARAH
March 18th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I know!! Once, in New Orleans, I reached into my kitchen cabinet for my iron, and almost touched one of the big roaches :yuck::eek::yell: I dropped the iron and the cat got the creepy thing :cat::angel: but I always looked before I put my hand inside any cupboard and cabinet after that!

Love4himies
March 18th, 2008, 08:59 AM
HAHA, I remember stories of my great grandfather, leaving his house carrying the humane traps with his nightly catch of mice and wearing a top hat (never went outside without that!), letting the mice out at the other end of a large field. My great grandmother and my grandmother used to stand at the window laughing, as the mice made it home before the old man :laughing:

:laughing::laughing:, I haven't heard the mouse back and Puddles hasn't alerted me to the cupboard yet, so I am :pray: he/she found some friends in the wood pile and will stay with them.

paula383
March 18th, 2008, 10:39 AM
:laughing: ive sacked the cats in my house my greatest fear has to be mice and the cats are the ones bringing them in :laughing:
6 cats but they still dont catch the mice, in the kitchen one night a mouse runs under the cooker by now im sat on top of the washer shouting, my partner comes in pulls the cooker out, 2 of my cats sat on the washer with me watching and the only one to go under the cook was the rabbit :laughing: managed to catch the mouse about a week later when it decided to come into the room and sit cleaning its self in front of the fire.:D

Love4himies
March 18th, 2008, 11:37 AM
:laughing: ive sacked the cats in my house my greatest fear has to be mice and the cats are the ones bringing them in :laughing:
6 cats but they still dont catch the mice, in the kitchen one night a mouse runs under the cooker by now im sat on top of the washer shouting, my partner comes in pulls the cooker out, 2 of my cats sat on the washer with me watching and the only one to go under the cook was the rabbit :laughing: managed to catch the mouse about a week later when it decided to come into the room and sit cleaning its self in front of the fire.:D

Ohh what hero cats we have.:laughing::laughing: