Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How would you feel if someone yelled at your dog?

hay_lynda
February 21st, 2008, 09:57 AM
I was out with Diego the other day and as I said before Diego can be vocal.(pictures in picture part of forum, under diego pictures)he is a tall blacklabmix and with the icicles hanging from the hairs under the chin I suppose he can look intimidating. Anyways there was a man that yelled hay hay hay aggresively at him because Diego was barking, yes he was barking but he also was wagging his tail and in a playful position. he barks when he wants other dogs to chase him. I think he is saying "look at me, look at me" anyways I told the man he is not aggresive and a few minutes later I here him yelling 'hay, hay ,hay , i wanted to tear the guys face off for yelling at my baby like that. His dog was having fun too it is just that they were near his legs and he was talking to a other owner. If he would have said it nicer I would not have minded but Diego came funning to me with his tail between his legs. Anyways I know this is getting long. Has anyone else had issues like this and what did you do?

boosbe
February 21st, 2008, 10:36 AM
That would definatly tick me off. Expecially when your dogs tail went between his legs. I would have been livid! You should have moved closer to the man, maybe if he was scared he would have shut up.;)

I missed the part about him being at the guys legs.....I would have moved my dog away to calm him down.

danaekitty
February 21st, 2008, 10:48 AM
I can imagine you're a bit bristled at this situation - but I wouldn't read too much into it. He may have certain behavioural boundaries for his own dog that Diego may have been crossing, and out of habit, yelled at Diego the same way he would yell at his.
If you found this verbal attack too much for Diego, it's pretty unfortunate, but at least he wasn't violent.
You said he was talking to another owner - does this mean that there were actually three dogs? And were any of the dogs on a leash? He may have just gotten a bit overwhelmed for a second.
Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it - Diego's probably forgotten already! If you're even in the same situation again, maybe just ask him not to yell so loud since Diego didn't do anything wrong - maybe throw in an apology in case Diego scared him.

Love4himies
February 21st, 2008, 11:40 AM
I don't want you to take this wrong and I am not saying this pertains to your dog as I was not there, but I do think it is important that dog owners control their dogs. Not all people are dog people and they expect owners to train their dogs to be polite, social beings, just like parents should control their children. If I was having a conversation with somebody, I would find it annoying if somebody was allowing their dog to bark around me. However he shouldn't have taken it out on your dog, he should have asked you politely.

jessi76
February 21st, 2008, 12:17 PM
I agree fully w/ Love4himies. There is a certain level of basic manners expected when out and about in public. I would be mad if someone yelled at my dog, BUT I never give anyone a reason to do so when out in public. I expect, and even enforce, good behavior when out. Barking at someone, even playfully, is not acceptable. I would of corrected my dog after the first bark.

marko
February 21st, 2008, 12:21 PM
I don't want you to take this wrong and I am not saying this pertains to your dog as I was not there, but I do think it is important that dog owners control their dogs. Not all people are dog people and they expect owners to train their dogs to be polite, social beings, just like parents should control their children. If I was having a conversation with somebody, I would find it annoying if somebody was allowing their dog to bark around me. However he shouldn't have taken it out on your dog, he should have asked you politely.

I agree with that 100% - Very well written :thumbs up

Anna_C
February 21st, 2008, 12:24 PM
In all fairness to dogs, they should be able to bark outside... NOT at people of course..they're not allowed to inside (mine is not-we live in an apartment building) so they should feel free to do it outdoors, it is their instinct and it is how they communicate, if the person felt that it was irritating to him he is free to go somewhere where he cannot hear him. My dog barks occasionally when he gets excited outside, I don't let him do it continiously but here and there I don't see the harmI had a woman yell at me in an elevator. I was the first one in an elevetor she got in knowing that I had a dog inside, when Nero got excited he jumped up at me, nowhere near her and this woman yelled for me to keep him in control. Her son meanwhile got scared that the mom is acting like this and started crying. By the time the elevator ride was over as soon as the doors opened she ran out as fast as she could. If you're that scared of dogs why would you get in an elevator with one? I really wanted to tell her a few nice words but since she had a child with her I decided to pass...

Frenchy
February 21st, 2008, 12:25 PM
I agree this man was rude. But last time I was at the vet's clinic , this Barbie doll was there with her GSD , had a long leash and would let the dog go everywhere he wanted , near people etc .... then he started barking while she was talking with a vet tech. He wouldn't stop , just bark bark bark , she never even looked at her dog , just kept talking , I just put my finger on my mouth and wispered shuuuutttt. Didn't work out. :frustrated: I didn't want to say anything , it would have been rude. But I was extremely annoyed. Some people were waiting with their cat in a crate , poor cat !

jiorji
February 21st, 2008, 12:43 PM
I agree this man was rude. But last time I was at the vet's clinic , this Barbie doll was there with her GSD ,

i see you've met my neighbour :laughing::rolleyes:

i don't have a dog but i agree with what's been said so far...you shouldn't give people a reason to "yell" at your dog when in public.

but if a dog came up barking at me while i was talking to someone else, I'd probably tell him to shut up too. Plus, when you see someone's uninterested in giving your dog attention, why not take your dog back? That's what I would've done. Your dog is probably really sensitive and isn't used to raised voices, but , if you take your dog out in public, you should know these things will happen....and really it's not a big of a deal that he "yelled". I've heard of worse things happening. This man was probably trying to control your dog's barking, which if i was in your situation, I would've felt responsible for it myself.

just my :2cents:

clm
February 21st, 2008, 12:54 PM
My dogs do bark, but I don't let them do it constantly. If they're outside playing and bark at each other once in a while, fine. They start barking a lot then I tell them to be quiet or interrupt the play until they do. Just because they're outside, doesn't give them cart blanche to bark. I don't go to leash free parks with them, but if I did, it would be no different. They can play all they want, but it's not necessary to bark all the time because they're excited. A few times is fine, more than that is bad manners.
Mine may be in my back yard, but I do have neighbours, I have to think about their comfort too. I don't like to try to talk to someone over the din of a barking dog.
You have to have consideration for the people around you and your dog. I don't agree that he yell at the dog or you, but I also don't think he should have been put in a position where he felt he had to.

Purpledomino
February 21st, 2008, 01:25 PM
If someone yelled at my dog because of his bad behaviour I would feel very embarrassed, apologise and get control of my dog. :o

Kristin7
February 21st, 2008, 01:53 PM
I don't know how I'd react... I suppose it depends on the situation. If we were in a dog park, I'd be annoyed with the guy, as I'm sure there would be other dogs barking. He could just move away from the ones annoying him (or why go in the first place...worse things happen in dog parks than barking, such as getting peed on or run over!). But, if the dog was somewhere else, perhaps a public park where the dogs are on leashes, or a vet's office, I'd be the one telling my dog to be quiet first. I live in a city and all the neighbors have dogs. There are a couple who constantly bark, thanks to their owners who won't let them inside. I feel sorry for the dogs but totally don't blame one of their next door neighbors for yelling at the dogs on occasion. If my dog starts barking outside, I call him in asap.

rainbow
February 21st, 2008, 02:25 PM

I agree. Even though it is natural for a dog to bark when it is playing it should be stopped by it's owner if it is near someone having a conversation. The same rule applies if it is your child screaming and throwing a tantrum.

Ford Girl
February 21st, 2008, 02:46 PM
Just my thoughts...

I speak to my dog in a louder then normal voice, and with more enthusiasm then most owners have to, but my force matches the dogs behavior...so when I have Voo Doo or Skye over, who are both timid and better behaved then Dazy, they back away from me and take me very seriously...neither are use to as many corrections or as many "no's" as Dazy is...their ears go back and they stick their tail between their legs.

Especially at the dog park, I clap loudly and say DAZY COME...I think I am the loudest one there to be honest...don't get me wrong, I'm not shouting or yelling, just a strong authoritative voice...

So when I read your post, I didn't think anything of it...I would certainly say HEY HEY HEY if dogs were wrestling at my legs...and barking at us humans in a conversation...

I do understand how we all protect our babies and take offense to methods we don't use...but at the dog park...there more unstable humans and dogs then you ever want to meet...tail wagging and barking doesn't always mean playfulness...wagging mean nothing....the tail position means alot...and barking can be either an invitation or a warning...

hay_lynda
February 21st, 2008, 04:16 PM
we were at a dog park. there were lots of dogs as well as his. deigo was not barking at his legs for more than a minute, he was playing with the a......dog and deigo was barking to play and chase his dog was wagging his tail too, just not barking. I used to live in a apartment building as well, he doesnt bark at the house but whats wrong with barking at the dog park as long as its not continuous and not scaring anyone. sorry, its just that we live in a duplex and he is so good at home that sometimes I feel like he just needs a place to be a dog. Although the next time I am at the park I think I will ask some of the other owners how they feel about his barks because Im ok with it I know not every one else is and because he is my dog and in my eyes a he can do no wrong(well almost)my judgement might not be 100%accurate.

hay_lynda
February 21st, 2008, 04:22 PM
we were at a dog park. there were lots of dogs as well as his. deigo was not barking at his legs for more than a minute, he was playing with the a......dog and deigo was barking to play and chase his dog was wagging his tail too, just not barking. I used to live in a apartment building as well, he doesnt bark at the house but whats wrong with barking at the dog park as long as its not continuous and not scaring anyone. sorry, its just that we live in a duplex and he is so good at home that sometimes I feel like he just needs a place to be a dog. Although the next time I am at the park I think I will ask some of the other owners how they feel about his barks because Im ok with it I know not every one else is and because he is my dog and in my eyes a he can do no wrong(well almost)my judgement might not be 100%accurate.

they were all off leash, thank you for the advice, maybe I should curb it a little bit, now that i think about it. thank you all for the posts, I would be interested to hear about anyone else who might have the bark problem and what did they do about it

littlesuki
February 22nd, 2008, 10:25 PM
:dog: :pawprint: It's hard when any ony one yells at my dog and it dose make me mad and yes we take it personal because that's our baby but when this woman told my dog to. (O shut up dog) i lost it said some things to her any way I just find it easier to walk away some people are just nasty and there not going to change so I don't waist my time on them. Best of luck with your pooch :dog:

want4rain
February 22nd, 2008, 10:54 PM
I would be interested to hear about anyone else who might have the bark problem and what did they do about it

there is a 'barking problem' and then dogs who sometimes bark and then dogs who dont bark. my neighbors dogs have a barking problem. they stand at the property line and bark at us INSIDE the house, squirrels, bugs... cars driving by... ANYTHING.

if your dogs barking, in a certain situation (think of your kid interrupting you on the phone??) teach him hush. to do that, first you ahve to teach him to bark. if you want, start a thread in the dog behavior forum?? we, personally, worked and worked and worked on teaching Mister hush.... never got anywhere. accidentally taught him 'THATS ENOUGH!' means to knock it off. :) all manners of knock it off's! :laughing:

-ashley