Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any new ideas for pup crate training?

boosbe
February 20th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Hi all, I feel like I am hitting a road block here. Its only been 2 nights that we have had our new pup but its rough :frustrated:. We have used ...clock, hot H2O bottle , stuffed animal with eyes, Radio for noise, a blanket from his mama, He has a blanket over all but the front of his crate. Have I missed something?? He seriously howled from 11-5am with a half our break. Anything else I could try or that you tried and helped PLEASE let me know:fingerscr! Thanks

Shabby
February 20th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Hi all, I feel like I am hitting a road block here. Its only been 2 nights that we have had our new pup but its rough :frustrated:. We have used ...clock, hot H2O bottle , stuffed animal with eyes, Radio for noise, a blanket from his mama, He has a blanket over all but the front of his crate. Have I missed something?? He seriously howled from 11-5am with a half our break. Anything else I could try or that you tried and helped PLEASE let me know:fingerscr! Thanks

Hi Boosbe:

Lacking sleep I suppose? :laughing: I have crate trained many dogs, and find having the crate next to your bed works well. That way the pup is close by for you to reassure. If the pup is in another room, it's lonely and frightend.

Put the crate beside your bed, each time puppy cries, howls etc., just calmly put your hand down to the door and say: "Sssh, or quiet". The pup needs to feel secure.

Hope this helps, but you do need to be patient. Puppies are just like newborn babies, sometimes they cry for no reason and no amount of calming helps until they wear themselves out.

breeze
February 20th, 2008, 06:45 PM
can I ask you how much excerise the pup gets and at what times??
how much sleep does the pup get during the day??

this for me also plays an important role..
I found when Bree was small we had to create a quite play (nothing rough) at night other wise she was to worked up before bed.. just like kids where we would read or play quietly.
I also found that if she slept to close to bed time she would be up most of the night..so we did our darnest to keep her awake until bed time.. then into the creat cause by then she was really tired, but calm and slept throught the night.

:fingerscr hope it helps..

sugarcatmom
February 20th, 2008, 07:13 PM
What about chew-toys and treat-filled Kongs? Something uber tasty that the pup only gets when he's in the crate. Here's a good website with lots of tips for new puppy owners: http://www.dogstardaily.com/

Stuff on crate-training: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/puppy-playroom-amp-doggy-den
Stuff on chew-toy training: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/errorless-chewtoy-training

coppperbelle
February 20th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I would try putting the crate next to your bed and as suggested if he makes a fuss tell him shush. He needs to feel secure until he gets used to be separated from his mom and sibs.

It is really important to never give in if he is making a fuss in his crate. Don't let him out until he is quiet and waiting patiently. Always make going in a positive experience. I recently trained a puppy to be crate trained by giving her special things that she would not normally get. For example I had a kong with peanut butter, a dentabone and some special toys.

BusterBoo
February 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM
ok.....I am going to be the :censored: disturber here..... :D

Take the puppy......bring him into your bed....and snuggle!!! Guaranteed no whining, crying all night.

But if you don't want your doggie on your bed....then try the crate beside your bed.... :shrug:

boosbe
February 20th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. The pup is not coming close to the bed lol. Its bad enough both the cats are in there. Doesnt bother me but I think my husband would become a permemant guest in the spare room :p . I think I will pick up a kong and use it for night time only with PB. As for tonight Im :censored: out of luck lol.

He did sleep alot bedfore bed lastnight , so I have been keeping him up tonight. Wish me luck!:sleepy: